lifter tick

09avalanche

Question

my 5.3 182,000 kms has recently started,occasionally, to have a lifter tick for a couple of seconds @ startup any thoughts or suggestions?l've used synthetic oil since new @ the suggested intervals and most times under the interval.

Edited by 09avalanche
more info

14 answers to this question

Welcome to the world of GM's 5.3! They all do this sooner or later. The 2007 and up models, sooner rather than later ...

If you're not already, you can start running 10w-30 full synthetic oil. Might not cure it, but will quiet it down alot. Been running that weight in Amsoil Signature Series for over 20k hard miles now, year-round.

Jsdirt,thanks for replying I will consider that option.There are tons of people on youtube changing cams and lifters and I don't really think I'm there yet with lots of power and oil pressure.Someone told me about a sensor related to this issue,any thoughts?

I can't see how some sensor would cause this, unless it was misfiring, or had some drivability issue.

The old adage applies here: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  If she's running great, leave it alone, and try 10w-30 full synthetic.

1 hour ago, 09avalanche said:

Jsdirt,thanks for replying I will consider that option.There are tons of people on youtube changing cams and lifters and I don't really think I'm there yet with lots of power and oil pressure.Someone told me about a sensor related to this issue,any thoughts?

There are a lot of people out there with more dollars than sense.  Those are the ones that diagnose by throwing money at it, and you can tell who they are rather easily, they all justify doing that work "because it had a lot of miles on, hard miles".  A couple of ticks is nothing on engines these days.  Mine will do it if I start it two days in a row.  I don't go out much any more, my coming up on 10 year old truck just rolled over 50k.  Before you say that's about average, my 50k is your 30,000 miles.  For whatever reason, the restart next day gives the tap, let it sit a week, no tick.

• Like 2

I agree, you can get a lot of miles with a tick. I ran mine for an extra 60K after the tick started. It was not till the engine started missing and cutting out that I replaced lifters. Change the oil and take it easy on the old 5.3

Thank-you Doug and Mike for taking the time for your input.With being retired it's hard to justify just throwing money around foolishly anymore.I spoke to an engine building shop locally they said bring it in($95/hr.)to hunt down the problem.Buddy said their builders don't believe in synthetic oil and just use conventional in their engines.My experience I've had in 98 Sierra 5.0 @ 100,000 kms I switched to synthetic and I noticed a substantial difference in the fact it woke that engine up.Unfortunately I had to let her go to a good home for more room,but never had any issue with her @ just past 220,000 kms when sold.It was a sad day!

My wife just left a short time ago in the truck,I listened and no tick this time, so am i to assume that wherever the lifters stop in relation to the camshaft, would that cause this issue?

I’ve had quite a few Chevy small blocks. 283,307,327,350,400 and some big blocks. The new 5.3s 6.0s. I can’t think of one that didn’t tic. I’ve run synthetics since they were available. My early ones 10-30 to 20-50 Amsoil. The vortecs and 5.3 whatever the recommended weight oil. I’ve never lost a Chevy engine. I never went passed 200K though. Usually there’s other things failing I don’t want to deal with after 150K. I know a few people who run ticking engines passed 200K. If they know me their running synthetics at least red- line or Amsoil. Even mobile one. Anything but conventional oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I’ve had quite a few Chevy small blocks. 283,307,327,350,400 and some big blocks. The new 5.3s 6.0s. I can’t think of one that didn’t tic. I’ve run synthetics since they were available. My early ones 10-30 to 20-50 Amsoil. The vortecs and 5.3 whatever the recommended weight oil. I’ve never lost a Chevy engine. I never went passed 200K though. Usually there’s other things failing I don’t want to deal with after 150K. I know a few people who run ticking engines passed 200K. If they know me their running synthetics at least red- line or Amsoil. Even mobile one. Anything but conventional oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I have looked in the manuals and never seen anything that said the engine was not supposed to tick. ?

Thanks guys,I'll try the heavier weight oil or maybe an additive? But I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over this matter.By the way I'm glad I found this forum you guys are helpful.Cheers!

I also wanted to add that in May 2009 when our Gm truck plant closed here in Oshawa it was a very sad day.But it's nice to know that some of you guys and gals may still be driving a truck that I may have worked on, if your vin starts with a 2 and up to 09 model year it was built here.Sorry if that sounds too sentimental.

Edited by 09avalanche
more info

IMO, I'd save your money on additives, and just use the heavier oil.

Yeah, GM has screwed up so many times it's unbelievable. I think you guys would still be working if we had just let them collapse. Someone else would have rebuilt the company from the ashes, and it would've been 100x better in every way - better quality products, and more stable jobs for you guys. Unfortunately some idiots in our government decided to bail them out, and they just went back to the same ol', same ol'. The stuff they're producing now is downright awful in terms of quality.

You probably built my truck. You guys did a great job assembling it, but, it's just too bad GM gave you guys low-bidder parts to build it with. It's been nothing but trouble since it rolled off the showroom floor.

Edited by Jsdirt

On 9/12/2019 at 5:15 PM, 09avalanche said:

Thanks guys,I'll try the heavier weight oil or maybe an additive? But I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over this matter.By the way I'm glad I found this forum you guys are helpful.Cheers!

I also wanted to add that in May 2009 when our Gm truck plant closed here in Oshawa it was a very sad day.But it's nice to know that some of you guys and gals may still be driving a truck that I may have worked on, if your vin starts with a 2 and up to 09 model year it was built here.Sorry if that sounds too sentimental.

Sounds like you got the 26+ years buy-out.  My buddy got that buy-out.  He had something like a couple of weeks over 26 years in, beginning in the van plant in Scarborough.  GM paid him regular wages to stay home for the 3+ years he needed to reach the 30 years he needed for full pension.  In all those years he went through layoffs, plant closings, mandatory overtime, even got himself fired a couple of times.  The van plant being shut down is what saved him 20 years later.  I really don't get how paying full wages to stay home for 3+ years saved GM money.  Sure they were paying him top dollar and they could replace him with  19/HR worker, but not at the same time they couldn't.  It still took him a couple of years or so to finally believe there was no trick to his package.