Should GM Pay Health Benefits To Striking Workers?

Gorehamj

Years ago UPS went on strike. They would stop at our shop every day at 4 to pick up our stuff going out. We would see him several times during the day dropping off. We fixed the problem of their strike by switching to fed ex. It was seem less. When he finally went off strike I asked him when he would break even. His answer was not in his working life. He was retiring soon. We ended up with two shippers from then on. Wouldn’t have happened with out the strike. If I had a GM on order. I would go to the dealership and give them the opportunity to find a truck like I ordered. If not I would cancel and try another brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Years ago UPS went on strike. They would stop at our shop every day at 4 to pick up our stuff going out. We would see him several times during the day dropping off. We fixed the problem of their strike by switching to fed ex. It was seem less. When he finally went off strike I asked him when he would break even. His answer was not in his working life. He was retiring soon. We ended up with two shippers from then on. Wouldn’t have happened with out the strike. If I had a GM on order. I would go to the dealership and give them the opportunity to find a truck like I ordered. If not I would cancel and try another brand.

A lot of the "old timers" talk about UPS striking back in 98/99 (can't remember).  The smart ones learned and don't push strikes as much anymore.  Employees voted for the strike option this past contract negotiation.  Didn't matter since the teamsters rammed our contract down our throats b/c our members can't get off their butts and vote.  Contract was implemented almost a year late.  I wonder how much more harmful a strike nowadays will be for us.  We're already losing customers from workers w/ crap work ethics and what seems like UPS's apparent refusal to refund/warranty people's stuff when damaged.  Also doesn't help when corporate has taken away a lot of the small incentives/rewards over the last 5-10 years.  Stuff that I really looked forward to as well :(

A lot of the "old timers" talk about UPS striking back in 98/99 (can't remember).  The smart ones learned and don't push strikes as much anymore.  Employees voted for the strike option this past contract negotiation.  Didn't matter since the teamsters rammed our contract down our throats b/c our members can't get off their butts and vote.  Contract was implemented almost a year late.  I wonder how much more harmful a strike nowadays will be for us.  We're already losing customers from workers w/ crap work ethics and what seems like UPS's apparent refusal to refund/warranty people's stuff when damaged.  Also doesn't help when corporate has taken away a lot of the small incentives/rewards over the last 5-10 years.  Stuff that I really looked forward to as well [emoji20]

We really liked our old UPS guy. When he retired it seemed we didn’t have our own guy anymore. Of course we the surge of online buying I’m sure UPS is thriving now. In the red USPO can’t keep giving unrealistic low prices to Amazon.

6 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

We really liked our old UPS guy. When he retired it seemed we didn’t have our own guy anymore. Of course we the surge of online buying I’m sure UPS is thriving now. In the red USPO can’t keep giving unrealistic low prices to Amazon.

Thriving as far as profit sure.  I still don't understand how we make money from Amazon.  With 3 of their buildings feeding into our building they obliterate us sometimes.  It'll be worse when peak really starts ramping up (thanksgiving-christmas).  The amount of OT/DT UPS pays out because of Amazon is mind boggling.  The hub I work at has been over capacity for quite a long time, probably 5-10 years.  UPS bragging about hiring 100k for peak season is a just PR BS.  They said the same thing last year and we still didn't have enough people.  Every year peak season volume increases yet somehow they're surprised we're annihilated every year.

Thriving as far as profit sure.  I still don't understand how we make money from Amazon.  With 3 of their buildings feeding into our building they obliterate us sometimes.  It'll be worse when peak really starts ramping up (thanksgiving-christmas).  The amount of OT/DT UPS pays out because of Amazon is mind boggling.  The hub I work at has been over capacity for quite a long time, probably 5-10 years.  UPS bragging about hiring 100k for peak season is a just PR BS.  They said the same thing last year and we still didn't have enough people.  Every year peak season volume increases yet somehow they're surprised we're annihilated every year.

I don’t know how guys there make it to retirement. Late hours brutal work. Definitely not enough money.

The UAW (currently having top echelon arrested for corruption) is now the employer of all striking persons so why should they not pay any needed benefits including health care.   If an individual chooses not to work why should that same person expect the former employer, who is  suffering the effects of shuttered plants, to owe them any allegiance?   It will be interesting to see how workers respond post strike if not totally satisfied with a contract.  We the consumer will probably feel the effects of a disgruntled employee when the next auto is purchased.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I don’t know how guys there make it to retirement. Late hours brutal work. Definitely not enough money.

We make good money, well hourly pay at least.  Those that say they don't are horrible with money.  The real issue is the lack of full time jobs for those that can't or won't deliver.  The top rate for delivery is darn good money considering you need no real training or education.  Just some common sense (not really needed anymore), sense of direction, good memory, and being able to sweat continuously.  The making it to retirement I don't know, I'm not even half way to my goal of 35 years yet.  The people you don't see that work in the building are just as battered if not more.  Drivers have DOT hours they can't go over so capped hours.  Last peak I knew of a couple guys doing 100+ hour weeks.  My longest week was only 84 hours.

We make good money, well hourly pay at least.  Those that say they don't are horrible with money.  The real issue is the lack of full time jobs for those that can't or won't deliver.  The top rate for delivery is darn good money considering you need no real training or education.  Just some common sense (not really needed anymore), sense of direction, good memory, and being able to sweat continuously.  The making it to retirement I don't know, I'm not even half way to my goal of 35 years yet.  The people you don't see that work in the building are just as battered if not more.  Drivers have DOT hours they can't go over so capped hours.  Last peak I knew of a couple guys doing 100+ hour weeks.  My longest week was only 84 hours.

My younger days when we were still doing ROW clearing we worked dark to dark, 7 days building our business. Our days off were rain outs. After start up at least we had a.c. and a radio. Then drive home if less than 125 miles. Long days even in my mid 20s. I can’t imagine adding jumping in and out of a truck on top of that.

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

My younger days when we were still doing ROW clearing we worked dark to dark, 7 days building our business. Our days off were rain outs. After start up at least we had a.c. and a radio. Then drive home if less than 125 miles. Long days even in my mid 20s. I can’t imagine adding jumping in and out of a truck on top of that.

AC is over rated.  Most of us would probably much prefer to have functioning equipment.  Even though it's over 100 degrees in my work area quite often, I'd still take functioning equipment over AC any day.  This is coming from someone who hates the heat and hides inside his house with his AC because it's too hot outside.

AC is over rated.  Most of us would probably much prefer to have functioning equipment.  Even though it's over 100 degrees in my work area quite often, I'd still take functioning equipment over AC any day.  This is coming from someone who hates the heat and hides inside his house with his AC because it's too hot outside.

I thought so too until I moved from Jersey to Texas. That first year without AC I hated life. The bees,dust,bugs,mosquitoes, I almost told pops I’m doing something else. Ac change my life in those clearing machines.

6 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I thought so too until I moved from Jersey to Texas. That first year without AC I hated life. The bees,dust,bugs,mosquitoes, I almost told pops I’m doing something else. Ac change my life in those clearing machines.

It's not much different in FL, plus we have high humidity.  Not all places in TX have the humidity we have here.  Temps in the back of the trucks can easily go over 130.  Pretty sure they were that or higher when I used to deliver Saturdays.

Edited by Chevyguy85

It's not much different in FL, plus we have high humidity.  Not all places in TX have the humidity we have here.  Temps in the back of the trucks can easily go over 130.  Pretty sure they were that or higher when I used to deliver Saturdays.

The ground is wet in the morning from high humidity. The sun burns it off by 10. It’s usually 77-80 at night. Then by 1 it’s close to the mid 90s and the humidity is back up. I’ve worked ROWs from Florida to California to Idaho to upstate NY. You pretty much have to go to Oklahoma City to get away from the humidity. In the Houston area from June to the end of October its misery without AC.

15 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

The ground is wet in the morning from high humidity. The sun burns it off by 10. It’s usually 77-80 at night. Then by 1 it’s close to the mid 90s and the humidity is back up. I’ve worked ROWs from Florida to California to Idaho to upstate NY. You pretty much have to go to Oklahoma City to get away from the humidity. In the Houston area from June to the end of October its misery without AC.

OKC? Lol, you need another 2 hours north at least. I went to death Valley and Gila this year. 114-118 degrees while I was there. 101 in Tulsa("feels like 114") was much more miserable, I sweat much more when I got back. Shade doesn't help much in high humidity, it does in straight heat.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS