In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Some of you might remmber my post aboit a month ago with problems unlocking and locking my truck with my key fob. That has still been an off and on issue where i hit unlock it unlocks and it locks immediately back up. I also had a new battery I installed last Nov die back in June. Advance auto tested battery and deemed it bad so they gave me a new battery under warranty. Fast forward tonight im driving and I notice truck is idling rough and lights are dimming. I assume my alternator is actually goin back causing these problems I have had. Is there a sure fire way to test my alternator to see if it is failing?

They can bench-test an alternator at Autozone/Advance Auto/Discount Auto.

Take the alternator off, take it to the store, they can find out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

If it is a bad alternator, at least those are easy to change out.

I would NOT buy one at an auto parts store, however. I would buy another AC Delco/GM alternator. I've been bit by the reman/Chinese parts too many times to bother with anything but OEM.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

If it is a bad alternator, at least those are easy to change out.

I would NOT buy one at an auto parts store, however. I would buy another AC Delco/GM alternator. I've been bit by the reman/Chinese parts too many times to bother with anything but OEM.

No I've been there before. My 03 Dilverado alternator went bad around the this same mileage (60k) and I had reman put in but from the start it didn't seem right. I could feel it bog down when I braked but then would recover. It lasted maybe a year and then I had to replace it with a new Ac delco. I plan on buying a AC delco from rock auto if this one is bad.

60k seems early, I've never had one croak that early, across several generations of GM trucks.

• Like 1

Ya 60k is early. I’ve owned several GM trucks and they have gone out around 130k miles or so. I have an Escalade right now with the original alternator at 189k.