Intermittent locked in park.

3 hours ago, dlockwood26 said:

My 2016 2500 LML required the brake to be pressed to remove from park.  Owners manual indicates that’s the design. 

Interesting.

Because of this thread, I verified today that brake pedal is unnecessary on '18 L5P (even though I usually use it anyway). 

Had both a 15 and a 16 1500 around here.  They both required the pedal be pushed -- the shift lock did work on them. also works on GM car that is here.

The other difference is that this L5P can be started without putting foot on brake pedal --- again, a difference from the 1500's which wouldn't start without pedal pushed.

Could be it's in need of repair. 

Just curious, why wouldn't you apply brake from park-reverse or park-drive? I don't see the need, so I'm curious.

my '19 1500 jumps quite a bit when put into drive, especially if it isn't warm and idled down yet. It's unsafe, not to employ the brake.

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2019 at 8:41 PM, dlockwood26 said:

This is my brothers truck. It is the ten speed.  He just got it back. There was a wire in the harness of the steering wheel that was crimped at the connection. All good and working now. 

I found your post by googling the problem, Thanks Google. Also joined this forum. I just bought a 2020 2500HD High Country. Its having the same problem with shifting out of park. I wonder if its the same problem? I will take it to the dealer and let them know how yours was fixed and keep you posted.   

• 1 month later...

My brand new 2020 2500 high country get stuck in park about 5-10% 0f the time. Dealership wants to try a new steering column. I thinks is has to do with the communication with the brake switch and a wire in the shifter. I can’t believe with so many of these trucks doing this that GM hasn’t come up with a resolution. 

Edited by Rickmak
Spelling and added some more details

• 1 month later...

Mine did this for the third or fourth time last night, in a month of ownership. 

I tried turning the wheel, restarting several times, off and on the brakes; nothing. 

I finally just overpowered it and got it out of park. 

it seems to function as expected since - meaning you have to press the brake to both start it and get it out of park. 

Message on the DIC says “press brake to start” so I’m sure it’s designed that way. Message goes out when I hit the brake so I don’t think it’s the electrical switch. 

Edited by blamkin86

My truck started doing this a week ago and happens every time I go to put it in gear.  Brought it in today and the dealer called back saying there is a bulletin on this and when it does this they need to replace the shifter and the bolts to the shifter.  Shifter is on order and will be in a day, however, the bolts are on backorder.

• Thanks 1