2016 Silverado - Android Upgrade - HMI Module Not Compatible?

Kenny782

I bought a 2016 Silverado High Country, I still have 5 days to return it. Great truck and exactly what I wanted EXCEPT.

It was advertised with Android Auto but the original owner never got the Android Update, it has apple carplay but that doesn't help me.

The seller agreed to throw in $100 of the $130 to update so I said to hell with it for $30 bucks I'm not going to complain.

I tell the dealer to do it he says 30 to 45 minutes, comes back in 30 to 45 minutes and says my HMI Module isn't compatible it would have to be replaced.

Now I'm good on the mechanical side but computer wise I don't know all of the various quirky components in the mix that I never have to go near.

From what I can find online it looks like I probably have an HMI 2.0 module and need a 2.5 Module which looks pricy?

I didn't know that at the time but when I asked him how much it was he said he had to look into it first I'm hoping even though the bumper to bumper expired in July maybe he can get GM to cover it?

From what I'm reading the 2.0 didn't support Apple CarPlay does anyone know if that's true or not? Because it supposedly it has apple Carplay already according to the head so maybe GM screwed up and put in the wrong one?

The build sheet has IO6 and says "RADIO INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM-UPLEVEL W/CONNECTIVITY & EMBEDDED NAVIGATION UPLEVEL RADIO W/CONNECTIVITY & EMBEDDED NAV INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM
(IO6)"

UE1 COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S. 1 GPS 1 VEH COMM SYS(UE1)
TG5 PLAYER COMPACT DISC AND MP3 COMPACT DISC & MP3 PLAYER(TG5)
U2K DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND DIGITAL S-BAND AUDIO SYS(U2K)

Not sure what else would apply and if any of this.

Sorry if I rambled but any advise or info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kenny

11 minutes ago, Kenny782 said:

I bought a 2016 Silverado High Country, I still have 5 days to return it. Great truck and exactly what I wanted EXCEPT.

It was advertised with Android Auto but the original owner never got the Android Update, it has apple carplay but that doesn't help me.

The seller agreed to throw in $100 of the $130 to update so I said to hell with it for $30 bucks I'm not going to complain.

I tell the dealer to do it he says 30 to 45 minutes, comes back in 30 to 45 minutes and says my HMI Module isn't compatible it would have to be replaced.

Now I'm good on the mechanical side but computer wise I don't know all of the various quirky components in the mix that I never have to go near.

From what I can find online it looks like I probably have an HMI 2.0 module and need a 2.5 Module which looks pricy?

I didn't know that at the time but when I asked him how much it was he said he had to look into it first I'm hoping even though the bumper to bumper expired in July maybe he can get GM to cover it?

From what I'm reading the 2.0 didn't support Apple CarPlay does anyone know if that's true or not? Because it supposedly it has apple Carplay already according to the head so maybe GM screwed up and put in the wrong one?

The build sheet has IO6 and says "RADIO INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM-UPLEVEL W/CONNECTIVITY & EMBEDDED NAVIGATION UPLEVEL RADIO W/CONNECTIVITY & EMBEDDED NAV INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM
(IO6)"

UE1 COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S. 1 GPS 1 VEH COMM SYS(UE1)
TG5 PLAYER COMPACT DISC AND MP3 COMPACT DISC & MP3 PLAYER(TG5)
U2K DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND DIGITAL S-BAND AUDIO SYS(U2K)

Not sure what else would apply and if any of this.

Sorry if I rambled but any advise or info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kenny

Hey Kenny,

Drop us a line from our website we can go over the build and get you situated :)

2 hours ago, GTPprix said:

Hey Kenny,

Drop us a line from our website we can go over the build and get you situated :)

thanks Chris ill drop you a PM with the full build sheet trying to decide how much I would need to put into this or whether im sending it back.

5 minutes ago, Kenny782 said:

thanks Chris ill drop you a PM with the full build sheet trying to decide how much I would need to put into this or whether im sending it back.

It's not a bad upgrade I promise on a 2016 you've got everything but the HMI so you're basically there. Just use the contact us link on the site and put your VIN in there and we'll go through it all :)

@pgamboa Full RPO Report, I love the truck, saddle interior like I wanted and nice exterior. Was thinking about the Denali Cluster for sure and would love to invest some money playing with this thing.

But if I have to spend a s**t load of money just getting android auto to work.... f**k it they can have the truck back no cost to me and I'll find another.

I'll spend something within reason to make it work but if it's insane, some $200 module or something plus programming and the software upgrade to hell with it.

Paying money to mod it and do something cool I'll spend but not making something work that should already be there, that just aggravates me, but maybe I'm just a jerk LOL

Anyway we'll see what Chris has to offer and what the dealer says but I'm not expecting too much on the dealer angle since he'd have to squeeze the module cost and labor out of GM.

GM Dealer was supposed to upgrade it on the lot of course before they sold it per the GM SB, they didn't.... GM says f*** off we have no idea what your talking about "oh we can't see that bulleting only dealers" (I tried 3 calls 3 different people all idiots).

Original dealer in Avon, CT said "we dropped the dropped the ball and you got royally screwed that's life too bad"  (obviously I got a little heated after that lol). 

If I was in CT I'd head straight over there and give him a piece of my size 14 boot. Now I didn't expect anything more really but WTF kind of service department is that? Dealer here has been cool so far, I mean when I loved in GA dealer was great, but obviously I don't recommend O'Neils or O'reillys whatever it was in Avon, CT if you want support (Granted I didn't buy it from them) LOL.

1829770790_2016Silverado.thumb.jpg.239fe33a1b4c233a3ebfe7507bf35f47.jpg

2016 Silverado High Country RPO Report.pdf

Edited by Kenny782

I just moved all my tools are in storage with the moving company until I find a place or I'd pull out the glove box and look at the HMI visually.

If it does have a 2.0 from what I understand that doesn't work with Carplay either right?

So should I still see the options on the head to toggle CarPlay on and off (which I CAN do)? I have no iPhone to try it with to prove it actually works or not I was just curious.

I would have thought it would be smart enough to disable the option or not even show it.... But that depends on how smart the developers where when they wrote the software LOL

Edited by Kenny782

19 hours ago, GTPprix said:

It's not a bad upgrade I promise on a 2016 you've got everything but the HMI so you're basically there. Just use the contact us link on the site and put your VIN in there and we'll go through it all :)

@GTPprix  So Chris I actually found the Window sticker in the center console this thing most definitely came with CarPlay, NAV etc out of the box. But the factory carplay doesn't that mean it has to have the 2.5 HMI already? Damn Chevy MyLynk even has Android Auto instructions LMAO. 

I also think I found out why they couldn't do the update (I think), it already has some kind of open source software installed (see images) maybe there stuff won't allow updates if they can't match up what's installed to there stuff, which from my IT perspective makes sense. I'm sure the maps are out of date but I'm guessing maybe this open source was the problem dealer wise.

Software Info 1 (Open Source).jpg

Software Info 2.jpg

Software Info 3.jpg

[mention=130449]GTPprix[/mention]  So Chris I actually found the Window sticker in the center console this thing most definitely came with CarPlay, NAV etc out of the box. But the factory carplay doesn't that mean it has to have the 2.5 HMI already? Damn Chevy MyLynk even has Android Auto instructions LMAO. 

I also think I found out why they couldn't do the update (I think), it already has some kind of open source software installed (see images) maybe there stuff won't allow updates if they can't match up what's installed to there stuff, which from my IT perspective makes sense. I'm sure the maps are out of date but I'm guessing maybe this open source was the problem dealer wise.
841553356_SoftwareInfo1(OpenSource).thumb.jpg.d9b1b102bdbb0e9d9d0771cdc36b96e0.jpg
1497025650_SoftwareInfo2.thumb.jpg.4679b51f7584ae352a6723b678acb800.jpg
1304739063_SoftwareInfo3.thumb.jpg.61548699f4c4d8b39e296a2cb2eb3d19.jpg

Ha! I literally just emailed requesting some other info that I think will help and I didn’t see the deletion rpo from your build either so we are on the same page.

35 minutes ago, GTPprix said:

Ha! I literally just emailed requesting some other info that I think will help and I didn’t see the deletion rpo from your build either so we are on the same page.

@GTPprix  haha, I cut my VIN out of the file since we're on the forum but attached is the vehicle info I saved to USB while I was taking the pics.

Thanks for letting me know you sent the email, I'll check my spam filter it must have got grabbed.

And yeah I found mention last night of that CPO I believe it was RPO for the deletion and lousy $200 rebate and it wasn't on my sheet.

Vehicle Info.txt

Edited by Kenny782

24 minutes ago, Kenny782 said:

@GTPprix  haha, I cut my VIN out of the file since we're on the forum but attached is the vehicle info I saved to USB while I was taking the pics.

Thanks for letting me know you sent the email, I'll check my spam filter it must have got grabbed.

Vehicle Info.txt 1.5 kB · 1 download

@GTPprix I sent a follow up message on your site to confirm my email address and provided an alternate address I don't see any sign of your email in our filtering system.

I may have mistyped my email address the first time, this time I got a autoreply from your site.

Edited by Kenny782

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is two years old but just to close it out. The damn HMI was fine as the RPO report reflected. I got it upgraded pretty inexpensively by mail and not by the damn dealer.

Just another crooked dealer trying to rip me off for $650 for an HMI I didn't need.

And the Harness Dr. got me setup with a connector to keep the truck running while the HMI was gone.

Problem resolved within a few days.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback though sent me in the right direction.

• Like 1