Service Stabiltrak and Front Brakes locking up

2015 Chevy Silverado, 19,000 miles . Just had new tires installed and on the way home the service stabilitrak light came on and the front brakes started applying themselves. Front rims hot , rear rims cool. Went to the dealer they did the recall brake programming, that didn't fix it, changed out the Vacuum pump - that didn't fix changed the Booster at $600. On the way to the airport tonight the same exact thing happened and left me stuck on the side of the Freeway - front brakes locked and service stabilitrak light on. Any ideas before I spend more money on things that are fine ??? 

It's not an alignment, that has nothing to do with the ABS/SB functions.

You say you installed new tires. Are they bigger oversized tires?

I would want this truck on a scan tool that can read the ABS system and view each wheel speed sensor. I would be watching for difference in wheel speed to see if something is throwing the system into a fit and causing it to apply the brakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rrcook said:

2015 Chevy Silverado, 19,000 miles . Just had new tires installed and on the way home the service stabilitrak light came on and the front brakes started applying themselves. Front rims hot , rear rims cool. Went to the dealer they did the recall brake programming, that didn't fix it, changed out the Vacuum pump - that didn't fix changed the Booster at $600. On the way to the airport tonight the same exact thing happened and left me stuck on the side of the Freeway - front brakes locked and service stabilitrak light on. Any ideas before I spend more money on things that are fine ??? 

Same size tires but Michelins instead of Bridgestones that it came with. 

Have you tried jacking the front of the truck up to get a wheel off the ground to see if they will spin freely?

What has me fouled up is you drove the truck to the shop to get tires put on and the truck had been driving fine. With new tires the brakes are dragging. I don't know what the tire shop could have done to cause this. If it were me I would pull a wheel and look if i could see what is not correct.

By now I would think the pads are glazed and the rotors are possibly warped.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/27/2019 at 7:01 PM, rrcook said:

We're you able to figure out the issue? My 2016 is doing the same thing. 

• 2 months later...

I'm currently going through the same scenario.  I can't say for certain if its the front brakes or what.  But the feeling was as if the truck all of sudden was pulling a trailer uphill with four flat tires.  I pulled over on the HW to check for flat tires, nope.  No check engine lights either.  Hopped back in, put her in drive and tried to get up to speed to merge  and almost got nailed by an 18 wheeler ...I was punching the gas.  Finally made it to the exit and into the gas station.  Finally the DIC kept flashing Service Stabilitrak warning as I pulled in.  When I let my foot off of the gas at the gas station the truck just stopped, no braking on my part needed.  At this point, you could smell something wasn't right, but the only lights that were lit were Stabilitrak and the T/C traction control.  I just decided to leave her there overnight, we had an appointment with Santa.

Next morning, wife dropped me off.  While I sat there waiting for the wrecker to tow I started it up the dash lights and messages were still present.  I put it in drive, then into reverse, repeat a few times.  The lights went away and no autonomous braking was felt.  I did one quick low speed cruise through the gas station parking lot and everything seemed ok.  Still had the wrecker take it home (4 miles).  To note:  at first I thought maybe this is what "limp home mode" was but wouldn't I have receive a warning indication from the truck that it was going into LHM?

After the wrecker dropped her off, I tested it out in the neighborhood at low speeds and it seemed just fine.   Later on I went to pick up my daughter from school and it started to happen again on the way home or 25 minutes from engine start; "Service Stabilitrak" warning flashed and it felt like the brakes were being smashed.  I pulled over and repeated the process I did the day prior and was able to shake it again but only for a mile before it happened in my neighborhood...I just pushed fw and into the driveway.  The computer threw one code (C0161)  My research hasn't come across many others like this and the only suggested solution so far is to replace the Brake Pedal Position Sensor.  

The thing that makes it go away is to stop the vehicle and smash the brake 3 or 4 times and it seems to reset itself.  I'm wondering if this has more to do with the vacuum pump than anything else.  I did have the recall done for the low speed braking issue back in 2019 and all they did was do a reprogramming.  Anywho, if someone has knowledge of this situation I'd love to hear from you before i try to invert my big ass under the floorboard to replace this position sensor.

48929.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-12-15 121612.jpg