coldest temps l5p started in

What’s going to keep your L5P from starting is whether or not your fuel has gelled to the point it can’t flow they the injectors.  My first winter with mine the fuel gelled one night around -20 F air temp.  Took a couple days and a fuel filter replacement to get it going again. Even Diesel 911 didn’t do anything for me.  Now I run fuel from truck stops only all winter and add a supplement if it’s below 0.

The block heater just helps it warm up faster and makes the cold starts less damaging to your engine long term.  But it shouldn’t really have any impact on actually starting or not.

This will be my first winter with my L5P, so i cant answer first hand. I do remember seeing a youtube video, think the guy was in Minnesota and it was something like -30 or -40 air temp and the truck started without being plugged in, think it took two tries (surprised not more).

5 hours ago, doosierra said:

im totally aware about treating the fuel and gelling, that is NOT the question I was asking guys

And I answered it.  That engine will start no matter how cold it is if it can get fuel.  The block heater is to reduce cold start wear on the engine, it will not be the limiting factor in IF the engine will start

GM advertises -20 F starts in less than 3 seconds with no block heater.  The lowest I’ve seen is right at -20 and a couple more cranks than normal is about all I noticed. I suppose if you live somewhere that could get lower than -40 F maybe you could run into some issues

On 10/4/2019 at 10:58 AM, doosierra said:

I am just curious whats the coldest temp your l5p has started in without plugging it in.

Several times in  -5F to 0F range.

Many times in the 0F to 10F range. 

The truck 'lives' outside, gets started every day. Usually using the remote.

The block heater cord is still wrapped up under the battery. 

No, it hasn't been cut-off.

Yes I'll get the permanent fix applied when they get around to releasing it. 

Edited by redwngr

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, brclark82 said:

And I answered it.  That engine will start no matter how cold it is if it can get fuel.  The block heater is to reduce cold start wear on the engine, it will not be the limiting factor in IF the engine will start

So youre saying a warm block and warm oil will not flow easier and therefore flop over faster?

• 2 weeks later...

It has ceramic glow plugs, so the cold starting is not the problem. Like was stated, cold fuel could be a problem.  One thing I do with my diesels once it gets below 32F is I plug in the oil pan warmer at least a couple hours before starting.  Warm oil on a cold startup makes a world of difference.  Just ask my all original Detroit 60 with 1,030,102 miles / 22,390 hours on it that only uses about a quart of oil every 11,000 miles.  Even a block heater doesn't warm oil, even though at 0F or lower I use the block heater also.  And an oil sump warmer doesn't cost very much and uses less juice than a block heater.  Just one of those little lessons I learned while living in the interior of Alaska for 10 years.

Edited by Cowpie