TURBO 2.7 UPGRADE

On 3/23/2020 at 1:43 AM, Timebombt said:

So with the AFE CAI I e been getting some repetitive check engine lights. On star says it’s the emission system or the drivetrain / engine. After getting a scanner on it, the readout says emissions high purge valve and MAF. Quick and easy fix. Disconnect the battery and re connect it. That way the ECU recalibrate’s rather then trying earn you that the purge valve is messed up. After disconnecting the battery and resetting the system the engine is running a lot smoother but the turbo is a little quieter now. ?. Not sure if this is a real fix but it seems to work. God I just want a tuner.  

So I just picked up a ‘20 2wd crew cab 2.7t this week and was looking up some bolt ons. Obviously I know it’s a new platform so it’ll be awhile til there’s a solid aftermarket for these engines. But I did notice an AFE “scorcher” tuner on their website. Is this just an advertisement for their preorder? I saw the downpipe as well. But didn’t see anything mentioned about it being on preorder? Could have missed it though. I had a modded focus ST and just fell in love with having a boosted daily driver but really needed the cab room and bed space for around the house projects. But I’m not one to leave things alone, she needs some aftermarket love to make it my own!!

Edited by Brandy Jones
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 9:03 PM, Timebombt said:

I’m interested in seeing what my MPG will look like after the intake especially after I just put 35’s on 20’s with a 6 inch lift kit. Cause right now I’m looking at 14mpg. I drive fast so don’t think it’s the best MPG. 

C69F8ADD-F654-4F42-9C08-8DE7D356597F.jpeg

CE3F3FCB-C6FD-4E9B-B134-41369BB01C30.jpeg

Your truck looks great!!!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Brandy Jones said:

So I just picked up a ‘20 2wd crew cab 2.7t this week and was looking up some bolt ons. Obviously I know it’s a new platform so it’ll be awhile til there’s a solid aftermarket for these engines. But I did notice an AFE “scorcher” tuner on their website. Is this just an advertisement for their preorder? I saw the downpipe as well. But didn’t see anything mentioned about it being on preorder? Could have missed it though. I had a modded focus ST and just fell in love with having a boosted daily driver but really needed the cab room and bed space for around the house projects. But I’m not one to leave things alone, she needs some aftermarket love to make it my own!!

You should pre order the down pipe and pioneer the unknown. Plus you’ll be able to hear that turbo even better and then just do what I did and swap out the muffler and ditch the drone valve. I’m waiting for the scorcher next but ultimately gonna pickup both the scorcher and down pipe to pair with the intake. Good for me is I’m moving to San Diego so I’ll be a quick drive to AFE HQ. If I can get my truck to burble I think that’ll be pretty awesome. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, I’d like to play devil’s advocate. I have a 19 Silverado 2.7T with nothing more than a high flow stock air filter and premium motor oil (I’ll leave it at that as this discussion will spiral really quick. Lol)

I see the dyno charts on the afe website. All the power gains seem to be at RPMs my vehicle will never spend time at (3500-4500).  So how would I benefit from something like this?

My previous truck had a CAI and exhaust, and I seemed to lose so much on the low end. I ended up going back to an OEM exhaust and gained my bottom end back.

I care more about usable power than max power.

68A77B9F-B496-468D-814B-4C6EE675C74D.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Ricomtzjr said:

So, I’d like to play devil’s advocate. I have a 19 Silverado 2.7T with nothing more than a high flow stock air filter and premium motor oil (I’ll leave it at that as this discussion will spiral really quick. Lol)

I see the dyno charts on the afe website. All the power gains seem to be at RPMs my vehicle will never spend time at (3500-4500).  So how would I benefit from something like this?

My previous truck had a CAI and exhaust, and I seemed to lose so much on the low end. I ended up going back to an OEM exhaust and gained my bottom end back.

I care more about usable power than max power.

68A77B9F-B496-468D-814B-4C6EE675C74D.jpeg
You’re right, for most it’s not the best fit. The route you took is just as good as going with the CAI. Air intakes from factory are designed just as good if not better then most aftermarket ones these days. The real benefit of the AFE is you get a little more sound, the cool look and if people start getting heavy into this engine you’ll need a bigger intake when tuning it. Also don’t let haters hate on the premium oil upgrade, it cost a pretty penny for a reason. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/15/2020 at 9:03 PM, Timebombt said:

I’m interested in seeing what my MPG will look like after the intake especially after I just put 35’s on 20’s with a 6 inch lift kit. Cause right now I’m looking at 14mpg. I drive fast so don’t think it’s the best MPG. 

C69F8ADD-F654-4F42-9C08-8DE7D356597F.jpeg

CE3F3FCB-C6FD-4E9B-B134-41369BB01C30.jpeg

How is the truck doing with the lift and tires? How’s take off and acceleration? I’m about to put the same exact specs on my Sierra 1500 turbo 4. Did you regear it?

On 7/24/2020 at 12:29 AM, Burcham7 said:

How is the truck doing with the lift and tires? How’s take off and acceleration? I’m about to put the same exact specs on my Sierra 1500 turbo 4. Did you regear it?

Truck is doing good drove cross country with no problems. Been towing a wave runner pretty regularly and it pulls it with no problems even when making the trip all the way up to big bear and back down to the coast. I need to get the piggyback hook up from rough country so I can see the proper speed and my mileage is correct. I will say if you get the 6 inch lift make sure you get the lifted struts and upgraded rear shocks. If you don’t and try to drive off road the rough country name will really show. HAHAHA

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:29 AM, Timebombt said:

Truck is doing good drove cross country with no problems. Been towing a wave runner pretty regularly and it pulls it with no problems even when making the trip all the way up to big bear and back down to the coast. I need to get the piggyback hook up from rough country so I can see the proper speed and my mileage is correct. I will say if you get the 6 inch lift make sure you get the lifted struts and upgraded rear shocks. If you don’t and try to drive off road the rough country name will really show. HAHAHA

That gave me a good giggle haha have you done anything to the exhaust on yours? Just curious how you like the sound. I put a Borla Atak muffler and deleted the resonator on mine. I actually get compliments often on how good it sounds. I like the uniqueness of it.

On 7/29/2020 at 10:29 AM, Timebombt said:

Got it lifted today! Just waiting until I can put the 35’s on later this week. Drove it 20 miles home from the shop and it rode great. Need to get an alignment, but other than that the ride felt pretty much as smooth as before.

DAA714CD-9780-417C-9CE5-60A1CFD9F703.jpeg

13 hours ago, murph4464 said:

Have any videos of the exhaust? And hows the gas mileage?

I’ll let you know after I get the alignment and tires on Saturday, been super busy and haven’t been able to get it in yet. Right now it’s probably lost 1-2 mpg. Not sure if it’s from the weight of the lift and aerodynamic change or the misalignment. I get about 19-20 on the highway goin 65 at the moment.