TURBO 2.7 UPGRADE

Upgrading a turbo engine was-is the easiest. All that’s required is a tune. We use to do our diesels routinely. Sure we had to do transmission work if we went too high on the horsepower. To avoid slipping and going into fail safe mode. I’ve seen truck shows with a hand held tune they’d get 100 HP out of an eco- boost. The trick I’m reading these days is unlocking the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s many things that can be done before we do an aftermarket turbo. It’s a pretty unique design on the factory turbo. I think for any turbo manufacturer to consider making anything aftermarket this engine is going to have to be around for a bit and maybe even find its way in to the mid size twins. We don’t know the limitations on the engine. Down pipe, intake, front mount intercooler and e85 tune would be a good place to start. Unfortunately the only thing aftermarket out there right now is the AFE intake which isn’t out till December or January

Until you exceed the max power the OEM turbo can support there is no need to upgrade it. Before I went to replacing the OEM turbo I would be looking for a tune that allows you to increase boost pressure and also re-tune for the increased boost and any other mods you have done.

• 2 months later...

I’ve already gone ahead and swapped out the muffler on mine went with just a resonator at first but it sounded like a shitty Tacoma. The turbo on the other hand was screaming. Loved that part but ended up swapping for a magnaflow and now it sounds proper and still frees up the turbo. I’m currently waiting for my AFE intake to come in and then will be working with a local fab shop on the down pipe. Holding off till I see what the AFE tuner can do. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Update the first batch of air intakes from AFE have a ship date of feb 28th 2020. They are having difficulties cracking the ECU code for the tuners so no word on that of now. 

Yep, I called them yesterday actually and was told the same date. I pre-ordered mine 9/6 so it’s been a long wait lol

Hopefully AFE comes out with a down pipe with a high flow cat

• 3 weeks later...
I’ve already gone ahead and swapped out the muffler on mine went with just a resonator at first but it sounded like a shitty Tacoma. The turbo on the other hand was screaming. Loved that part but ended up swapping for a magnaflow and now it sounds proper and still frees up the turbo. I’m currently waiting for my AFE intake to come in and then will be working with a local fab shop on the down pipe. Holding off till I see what the AFE tuner can do. 
Where did you order your magnaflow from?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Michael Summerford said:

Where did you order your magnaflow from?

I just went to the performance exhaust shop in the Palmetto FL area called exhaust solutions. I told them I wanted more flow for the turbo and wasn’t interested in trying to get a loud sound. They chopped the exhaust valve and welded in the new muffler. I left the stock resonator on as well. I’ll take some photos and upload when I get a chance. 

I just went to the performance exhaust shop in the Palmetto FL area called exhaust solutions. I told them I wanted more flow for the turbo and wasn’t interested in trying to get a loud sound. They chopped the exhaust valve and welded in the new muffler. I left the stock resonator on as well. I’ll take some photos and upload when I get a chance. 
Oo ok thanks man yeah I've always went with magnaflow on my past trucks. I just didn't know if they had any full exhaust kits for the 2.7 yet. I like carven exhaust too. One of my buddies has carven on his truck but his is the 5.3 and and sounds awesome

• 4 weeks later...

So still waiting for my intake from AFE. supposed to be shipped out on Friday but while I was looking for the contact number to call them I saw that there is a pre order for a hi flow down pipe. Don’t have $700 to spend right now but if anyone is looking for one you should go check it out.