TURBO 2.7 UPGRADE

Good news!!!  AFE intake came in. Installed and test drove it. Turbo sounds like it spools up sooner and feels more responsive but I’ll have to get back after a little more time with it. 
A0DB9F45-4777-4555-AA53-FC80BB3C9554.thumb.jpeg.9e6d07c1546695a34e93f81540ff415b.jpeg
B0BE1E2E-1777-4640-A5C5-CA4F5181DAA6.jpeg.b473f4599652c8bda392bed89c73545b.jpeg

Is the turbo audibly louder now with the new intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ryan030389 said:

I want to say yes....... You can hear the intake now sucking air in. But I haven’t driven it enough to say. Plus you have to remember these new trucks are so insulated it’s hard to hear. Sitting in the drive way and revving the engine like a teenager I feel like it was louder. I expected to hear the BOV / purge valve but you don’t even here the slightest swoosh from it. But the one thing I will say is the turbo seems to start spoiling at 500 rpm less then before. 

I’m interested in seeing what my MPG will look like after the intake especially after I just put 35’s on 20’s with a 6 inch lift kit. Cause right now I’m looking at 14mpg. I drive fast so don’t think it’s the best MPG. 

C69F8ADD-F654-4F42-9C08-8DE7D356597F.jpeg

CE3F3FCB-C6FD-4E9B-B134-41369BB01C30.jpeg

Edited by Timebombt
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 7:31 PM, ryan030389 said:

You hear the intake more than the turbo to be honest. I would say anything under 2000 RPM is all the intake and turbo between 2-3k RPM.

At least that's what I am hearing from my set up with the same intake. Would be curious with a full exhaust how it sounds though. Hopefully a bolt on turbo back is available soon.

I want to say yes....... You can hear the intake now sucking air in. But I haven’t driven it enough to say. Plus you have to remember these new trucks are so insulated it’s hard to hear. Sitting in the drive way and revving the engine like a teenager I feel like it was louder. I expected to hear the BOV / purge valve but you don’t even here the slightest swoosh from it. But the one thing I will say is the turbo seems to start spoiling at 500 rpm less then before. 
What all have you noticed after installing the intske? Like the differences

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Just curious, for the time and $ you'll spend trying to eek a little more oomph out of that four-cylinder, and all of the associated headaches, why didn't you just buy a 6.2L 1500 or Duramax HD to begin with?  

Originally it was supposed to be a fuel economy truck since I’m moving from Florida to California but since I don’t own any motorcycles or race cars right now the Tuner bug bit me. Again. So that is my real reason. Now I know you probably want to stir the pot so I’ll act like I meant to buy it like I had these plans in mind. So let’s start this carnival ride up. 
Reason

1. Diesel and 6.2 way more expensive. If I was trying to get the new body style I can’t afford a $75,000 Trucks and still tune it. 

2. Why not help out the R&D in smaller engines Ford has an Ecoboost in the Raptor and the Ford GT. They seem to be pretty dang fast

3. Can’t get a 1500 with a spinny boy. Unless you get the 5.3 and add twins. That’d be cool, but that’s a shit ton of money in parts and tuning. 

4. The conversational aspect of “yeah it’s a 4cyl turbo” Gets a lot more attention then the old played out V-8.

5. Plus I like hearing that little turbo spool. It makes me smile. 
But seriously there wasn’t any parts available for this truck when I got it and didn’t plan on doing anything to it. Now that I am I’m just trying to spread my experience and knowledge so that of people want to upgrade they can get some answers from and idiot like me that just happens to like turning wrench’s. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Summerford said:

To be honest with the 35s I can’t give accurate statement to that. As I said in an earlier post though the turbo spools sooner and it feels like it has a little more acceleration. Other then that you can hear that turbo breathe and in hard pulls you can hear the BOV oh so faintly. My MPG went back up a little too. Only when I’m not trying to hear the turbo though.  ??‍♂️?

On 3/16/2020 at 11:16 PM, Goobax said:

You hear the intake more than the turbo to be honest. I would say anything under 2000 RPM is all the intake and turbo between 2-3k RPM.

At least that's what I am hearing from my set up with the same intake. Would be curious with a full exhaust how it sounds though. Hopefully a bolt on turbo back is available soon.

Get over to AFE and pre-order that down pipe. That way they won’t discontinue it. I’m waiting till next year to get it. 

To be honest with the 35s I can’t give accurate statement to that. As I said in an earlier post though the turbo spools sooner and it feels like it has a little more acceleration. Other then that you can hear that turbo breathe and in hard pulls you can hear the BOV oh so faintly. My MPG went back up a little too. Only when I’m not trying to hear the turbo though.  [emoji2373][emoji6]
Dang I can only imagine more acceleration on this turbo

8 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Just curious, for the time and $ you'll spend trying to eek a little more oomph out of that four-cylinder, and all of the associated headaches, why didn't you just buy a 6.2L 1500 or Duramax HD to begin with?  

Kind of a silly question to be honest. It's like why get the LTZ when you could have got the high country to begin with

3 hours ago, Timebombt said:

Get over to AFE and pre-order that down pipe. That way they won’t discontinue it. I’m waiting till next year to get it. 

I'm still debating maybe soon though

9 hours ago, Michael Summerford said:

I know this wasn't directed at my but the acceleration is noticeable as well as the spool of the turbo as alluded to earlier.

For me, I was averaging 19.5 MPG prior (I sit in rush hour traffic for 80% of my driving) and now I am at 20.4 average from the 500 miles after installing and lifetime has gone up a bit obviously as well as I only have about 2k on the odometer. Not a huge difference but again this is after 500 miles.

So with the AFE CAI I e been getting some repetitive check engine lights. On star says it’s the emission system or the drivetrain / engine. After getting a scanner on it, the readout says emissions high purge valve and MAF. Quick and easy fix. Disconnect the battery and re connect it. That way the ECU recalibrate’s rather then trying earn you that the purge valve is messed up. After disconnecting the battery and resetting the system the engine is running a lot smoother but the turbo is a little quieter now. ?. Not sure if this is a real fix but it seems to work. God I just want a tuner.  

9 hours ago, Timebombt said:

So with the AFE CAI I e been getting some repetitive check engine lights. On star says it’s the emission system or the drivetrain / engine. After getting a scanner on it, the readout says emissions high purge valve and MAF. Quick and easy fix. Disconnect the battery and re connect it. That way the ECU recalibrate’s rather then trying earn you that the purge valve is messed up. After disconnecting the battery and resetting the system the engine is running a lot smoother but the turbo is a little quieter now. ?. Not sure if this is a real fix but it seems to work. God I just want a tuner.  

That's odd. How many miles on your truck after the intake? I haven't noticed any lights pop up "yet" but something I will definitely keep an eye out for.