Super newbie 4x4 question

I know this question may sound dumb, but this is my first 4x4 vehicle. I have a 2019 trail boss LT and I was curious, do I have to put it in park to shift from 2 Hi to Auto (or from 2 high to 4 high etc..) on the 4x4 controls I changed it while in drive, but stopped. I just don’t want to break anything. I’ve read that on newer vehicles, you can “shift on the fly” but I’ve also heard that increased wear on the mechanisms and can cause a “burr” in the transfer case.

thanks!

Edited by NCD

15 minutes ago, Thejet07 said:

No you don’t. You could go into auto/4hi while moving. I dont remember but 4low has to be at a very slow speed I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the transmission in neutral to go into 4 low.

when shifting to 4 auto or 4 hi, i try to stay moving around 10-15mph to let everything lock together properly. you do not want to go over 25mph when switching. For 4low you do have to go into nutrual , on my old truck i try to let go of the brake so things can move if needed. 

5 minutes ago, BlancoSilverado said:

when shifting to 4 auto or 4 hi, i try to stay moving around 10-15mph to let everything lock together properly. you do not want to go over 25mph when switching. For 4low you do have to go into nutrual , on my old truck i try to let go of the brake so things can move if needed. 

Would anything bad happen if I shifted it into 4 low when in drive at 2mph or stopped if I only did it one time?

10 minutes ago, NCD said:

Would anything bad happen if I shifted it into 4 low when in drive at 2mph or stopped if I only did it one time?

Transmission in neutral, less than 5 MPH, if the truck does not like the condition, it will not shift into 4 LOW.

When you go into 4 LOW, you are going to hear the transfer case engage, lots of noise, but do not be alarmed, also going to see a lot of messages, and lights flashing on the dash as it shuts down all traction devices.

Then repeat process to get out of 4 LOW, will hear and see same things.

Best to practice just shifting into it, but do not drive very far on dry pavement, just enough to engage, feel how the truck behaves, and, then shift out of it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Transmission in neutral, less than 5 MPH, if the truck does not like the condition, it will not shift into 4 LOW.

When you go into 4 LOW, you are going to hear the transfer case engage, lots of noise, but do not be alarmed, also going to see a lot of messages, and lights flashing on the dash as it shuts down all traction devices.

Then repeat process to get out of 4 LOW, will hear and see same things.

Best to practice just shifting into it, but do not drive very far on dry pavement, just enough to engage, feel how the truck behaves, and, then shift out of it.

Ok perfect, all those things happened, but the truck was in drive. It was only one time so you don’t think it harmed the transfer case, transmission, or 4 wheel drive system correct? It didn’t make any bad noises or anything and drives fine. 

4 minutes ago, NCD said:

Ok perfect, all those things happened, but the truck was in drive. It was only one time so you don’t think it harmed the transfer case, transmission, or 4 wheel drive system correct? It didn’t make any bad noises or anything and drives fine. 

Technically, the truck should have not gone into 4 LOW while in drive.

You should have had an error message on your dash saying to shift to neutral to engage 4 LOW.

I would try it again as I described, and how you did it to see what happens, might need to take it in and have it looked at.

8 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Technically, the truck should have not gone into 4 LOW while in drive.

You should have had an error message on your dash saying to shift to neutral to engage 4 LOW.

I would try it again as I described, and how you did it to see what happens, might need to take it in and have it looked at.

Hmm ok, maybe I was in park, or maybe u was in neutral. I don’t remember as it was when I first got the truck. 

53 minutes ago, NCD said:

I highly doubt I wouldve known to put it in neutral though, do you think the truck has an override and automatically does it so it doesn’t mess anything up?

Think I understand your question, and yes, the truck will not shift into 4 LOW unless it is done correctly.