2014 1500 has delay when shifting to drive

Let me first say that other than this problem, I’m having absolutely no issues with the transmission at all. It shifts properly, it’s firm and I can pull a 16 foot equipment trailer and there are NO problems at all.  Which is what makes me think it’s not transmission related, even though it’s the only thing I can think of LOL!

About 4 out of 10 times if I start the vehicle or I leave it running it doesn’t matter. But if I am in park and I shift to drive, it takes several seconds for drive to engage.  During that time it remains in neutral where you could actually rev the engine and go nowhere.

If I remember and I’m thinking about it, when I shift from park to drive I will just keep my foot on the break for a couple or few seconds and then press the gas and go. Doing that all would be fine and there wouldn’t be a problem.

However, because I am stupid and just can’t seem to remember that as it’s second nature, I will take it from Park and slap it in drive and then give it gas and when I go nowhere and hear the engine rev up, I go oh shit because i forgot, and I know before the engine goes back to idle it will drop in gear while I am pressing the gas to take off and when that happens? 

Oh my goodness it makes a VERY loud clunking sound, the truck violently jerks and feels like the transmission is going to drop out of the truck!!! Any ideas?

2014, V6, Silverado single cab 8 foot bed tow haul button

Let me first say that other than this problem, I’m having absolutely no issues with the transmission at all. It shifts properly, it’s firm and I can pull a 16 foot equipment trailer and there are NO problems at all.  Which is what makes me think it’s not transmission related, even though it’s the only thing I can think of LOL!

About 4 out of 10 times if I start the vehicle or I leave it running it doesn’t matter. But if I am in park and I shift to drive, it takes several seconds for drive to engage.  During that time it remains in neutral where you could actually rev the engine and go nowhere.

If I remember and I’m thinking about it, when I shift from park to drive I will just keep my foot on the break for a couple or few seconds and then press the gas and go. Doing that all would be fine and there wouldn’t be a problem.

However, because I am stupid and just can’t seem to remember that as it’s second nature, I will take it from Park and slap it in drive and then give it gas and when I go nowhere and hear the engine rev up, I go oh shit because i forgot, and I know before the engine goes back to idle it will drop in gear while I am pressing the gas to take off and when that happens? 
Oh my goodness it makes a VERY loud clunking sound, the truck violently jerks and feels like the transmission is going to drop out of the truck!!! Any ideas?
 2014, V6, Silverado single cab 8 foot bed tow haul button
Im not an expert , but Having gone through a few rebuilds myself , that's usually how it starts. It'll drive just fine for another 10k , then a low pitch whine for another 5k , then one day you stop at a red light and the transmission puts itself in neutral for eternity. For now I'd throw some Lucas transmission treatment in there . I've had some good results with that years ago , and recently one of my buddies with a 2015 suburban used it when having your same issue and was happy with the results. Just my non expert opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Ira1976 said:

Im not an expert , but Having gone through a few rebuilds myself , that's usually how it starts. It'll drive just fine for another 10k , then a low pitch whine for another 5k , then one day you stop at a red light and the transmission puts itself in neutral for eternity. For now I'd throw some Lucas transmission treatment in there . I've had some good results with that years ago , and recently one of my buddies with a 2015 suburban used it when having your same issue and was happy with the results. Just my non expert opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Was waiting to see if anyone else had an idea so I will try the Lucas by default LOL. Thanks

Edited by Plumber101010

Do a search for delayed engagement, your torque converter is draining the fluid back to the transmission oil pan and the delay is the pump trying to fill it back up after startup. On the 8 speeds GM had added a check ball on the stator shaft support, not sure on the 6 speeds what the fix it for that.  My truck with the 8 speed still does it off and on, but never when I take it in for repair so GM won't replace the stator shaft support go figure!!