Fuel Tank

There is much more room under there for a longer tank, I wonder if there will be an option for an aftermarket tank someday. Maybe they saved this space for a DEF tank on diesel models, bit they should have offered a larger tank for gas trucks. e7176b3cfcbe688c0110bd6a6d8d2fcc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Tank size is one reasons  I'm back in a 2500. (changed in 2020, but they have been all 36 gallon since 2011)

There are larger tank sizes available from aftermarket for the 2500/3500 diesels --- but they are not offered for gasoline. 

I suspect the probability of the aftermarket offering a larger gasoline tank for a 1500 is very low. 

Even the bed mounted 'transfer tanks' (which are used primarily for fueling equipment rather than direct connection to the vehicle) seem to not be available with gasoline certification.

I regularly run 580 - 600 miles on a fill with the dmax and factory tank.  

Of course that's not towing. 

Also, it won;t do that when it is used strictly for short run 'in town' type work. 

Edited by redwngr

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2019 at 9:58 AM, redwngr said:

I regularly run 580 - 600 miles on a fill with the dmax and factory tank. 

I remember being able to do that in my 08 Duramax long bed, loved it.

My current 08 standard bed has the smallest tank in there.  I'm on E when I've used 21/22 gallons!  Uggh. 

6 minutes ago, Colossus said:

I remember being able to do that in my 08 Duramax long bed, loved it.

My current 08 standard bed has the smallest tank in there.  I'm on E when I've used 21/22 gallons!  Uggh. 

Starting with the new chassis in 2011 long and standard bed trucks both came with  the  36 gallon tank. 

(I went form a long bed '04 to a standard bed '10 and was surprised how much I missed the larger tank.  They fixed that in '11 and I quickly upgraded.  They '18  2500 till has a 36 in the 6.5' box and is the one being run in the previous post))

2 minutes ago, RE1 said:

More smoke and mirrors from GM. 

They limit tank size to save weight and improve MPG. 

I suspect you are right.

But doesn't apply to the HD's. (ya I know, this is the 1500 section)

One of the mpg videos about the 3.0L was talking about the rating difference between the sierra and silvarado.  part of the explanation is that the fed regs require the weight of an option be included for testing if the 'take rate' for the option is over a certain percentage.  Sierra's typically sell with more content so higher weight used.  That and slightly less aerodynamic and 3.0 in sierra ends up with a lower rating.  I would guess the regs also require the weight used for the rating must also include a certain % of max fuel weight. 

From time in tier one auto suppliers I do know that if you can save them weight on any vehicle, it is a big deal.

Better economy ratings sell vehicles(for some). 

There is also the fleet cafe thing that needs to be met.

On 1/19/2020 at 3:03 PM, redwngr said:

I suspect you are right.

But doesn't apply to the HD's. (ya I know, this is the 1500 section)

One of the mpg videos about the 3.0L was talking about the rating difference between the sierra and silvarado.  part of the explanation is that the fed regs require the weight of an option be included for testing if the 'take rate' for the option is over a certain percentage.  Sierra's typically sell with more content so higher weight used.  That and slightly less aerodynamic and 3.0 in sierra ends up with a lower rating.  I would guess the regs also require the weight used for the rating must also include a certain % of max fuel weight. 

From time in tier one auto suppliers I do know that if you can save them weight on any vehicle, it is a big deal.

Better economy ratings sell vehicles(for some). 

There is also the fleet cafe thing that needs to be met.

Yeah, I’m referring specifically to the 1500s. Those have become all about efficiency/MPG with all the associated garbage tech and smoke and mirror tricks like smaller gas tanks. 

I've heard from the aftermarket guys that they cannot modify the gas tank because it is a controlled part of the emissions system.  That being said, has anyone thought about swapping the 36 gallon tank from the 2500 into a 1500?  I'm sure there are a lot of differences underneath the two model trucks but the bigger tank is offered with the same standard size bed.

Edited by Gregorio

On 12/14/2019 at 7:15 AM, Ken Wheeler said:

When is gm going to add bigger fuel tanks to there trucks?

Never. In fact, they made them smaller. My 14 and 16 1500 Crew Short Beds had a 26 gallon tank, now it's a 23 gallon in the 2019. :confused:

Really makes you wonder, because this has been a common complaint on the forums for years. 

I have been looking for a replacement tank that is larger than stock 26 gallons in my 2019 AT4.  I have used Transfer Flow for replacement tanks in my last 4 trucks (3 diesel) - for my 2014 Raptor they made a 50 gallon replacement tank, which replaced the stock 36 gallon tank, which was awesome.   26 gallons sucks for road trips and given my commute is 120 miles round trip I am at the gas station three times per week!  For towing even worse - GM should have at least put a 36 gallon tank in the truck.  

Right now neither Transfer Flow or Titan have a large replacement tank available.  I have spoken with Transfer Flow and they are developing a larger tank, not sure on size yet and then have to get DOT approval of tank - a process out of their control, so they can't predict when something will be available for the new truck - hopefully by this summer.  I will keep watching to see what comes out as a larger tank is an immediate upgrade when available. 

Edited by Supercup

• 2 years later...