2019 Chevy Trailboss LT Max Camper Weight and Length

My wife and I work out of town a lot and we’re looking into getting a camper. There’s several we have looked at and found a few we really like. One of the campers we fell in love with has a dry weight of 6,800 lbs and it’s 36 ft long. I’m just trying to get an idea of what I need to stay around. The camper will only be moving about 6 times a year as we only do 3 jobs a year and I may move it back and forth to our hunting club. Thanks.

Edited by Austin Taylor

Is your truck the max tow package and 6.2L? Take a picture of the sticker inside your driver’s door so we can see your payload capacity.

There are a couple numbers to look at. 1. What is the payload of you truck on its own? You’ll need to calculate what your passengers weigh, cargo in the bed and trailer tongue weight to see if you exceed your trucks payload or GVWR. 2. Then you’ll look at the GCVWR. This is the total weight that both your loaded truck and trailer can weigh. 3. You’ll also need to look at axle and tire weight ratings. You don’t want to exceed any one rating on its own. It’s not safe and technically your insurance company doesn’t have to cover damages if they can prove you’re over and you have an issue.

Keep in mind that once you fill that camper up with water, food, gear, clothes, etc.. you can easily add 1-2k lbs. I have a 35’ trailer that is 6900 lbs dry. It’s probably 8000 - 8500 loaded. Maybe more. The fresh water tank alone is 60 gal so that’s 480lbs in water. Then I have all sorts of other things in there.

Need to see your specs but you’ll likely be at or over one or more of your payload numbers at that size trailer loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will guess that this trailer will have a tongue weight (wet) at around 1000 pounds or more.  Max tow is not available on the TB, and depending on if you have the 5.3/8 speed, it's shaping up to be a miserable tow.  

I will guess that this trailer will have a tongue weight (wet) at around 1000 pounds or more.  Max tow is not available on the TB, and depending on if you have the 5.3/8 speed, it's shaping up to be a miserable tow.  

Likely too much trailer. I had a 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L. I did a 4.10 gear swap, tune, super spring, weight distribution, hitch etc. to increase towing ability and was careful how I towed to stay under limits and my truck was way too maxed out. It did fine flat towing but I often go to the mountains with 6-10% grades. Truck would make it at 35 MPH and 3k RPMs but the trans temp would heat up a lot and I’d need to take breaks. My brakes were struggling mightily coming down. Ended up dumping my truck (paid off with 70k miles and $10k in aftermarket mods). Went to a 2020 AT4 HD Duramax. Night and day difference towing.

I doubt OP wants to buy a new truck. I’d get a much lighter trailer. Something that’s 6-7k lbs loaded.

I tow a Jayco 28BHS. 7125 dry, about 7800 loaded (I do NOT pull it with a full load of water.) It's 33' tip to tail.

In general the truck pulls it and can handle it. Granted I don't do drag races when towing, and I certainly don't try the mountains. I live on the east coast and go up and down 95 flatlands. 36' would start to scare me. '

Having said that it is within limits depending on the specs on your truck. I had a 2018 5.3 w/3.42, rated for 9100lbs and it handled it. Now I have the 2019 Max Tow 5.3 w/3.42  rated for 11,400 and it tows it even better. But 36' would start to scare me.

Edited by SamDSJR
Misspelled a word

9 hours ago, Austin Taylor said:

My wife and I work out of town a lot and we’re looking into getting a camper. There’s several we have looked at and found a few we really like. One of the campers we fell in love with has a dry weight of 6,800 lbs and it’s 36 ft long. I’m just trying to get an idea of what I need to stay around. The camper will only be moving about 6 times a year as we only do 3 jobs a year and I may move it back and forth to our hunting club. Thanks.

That's an awfully big trailer for a 1/2 ton.  There are a lot of much lighter and smaller trailers available that provide good accommodation for part time living.   When you get into the 35'+ range  a 5th wheel c/w a 3500 series truck is the way to go, imo!

Thanks for replying guys. We will be living out of this pretty much full time. The gross weight is 8,400lbs and the hitch weight claims to be 740lbs. I don’t ever plan on traveling with it fully loaded, and it just my wife and I both relatively light people. I pretty much figured that the length itself would be an issue. We just got this truck a couple of months ago and I have no plan to upgrade anytime soon. I’ve quickly realized it’s hard to find a camper with everything you want and trying to stay within the numbers lol.

37FBF024-6FAB-4D04-9EF3-21555C2EA43F.jpeg

Edited by Austin Taylor

3 hours ago, bshort said:

It is the 5.3 8 speed. 

6 hours ago, oldmann said:

From my experience a travel trailer that long gets heavy quick.  I have pulled an old 33' including bumper and tongue and it is plenty on flat ground.  Are we really talking travel trailer or 5th wheel trailer?

It’s a travel trailer. 

Austin - go put gas on your truck and put it on the scales with your wife in it. I bet it weighs around 6k lbs or more. Your sticker shows you have 7k payload. Meaning that you can put 1k in weight on the truck. That includes gas, people, and tongue weight. You’re probably going to be right at that number if you are not putting a lot in the trailer and nothing but you two in your truck.

Also, you can’t exceed 15k between the truck and trailer. Meaning, if your truck is 7k, your trailer can’t be more than 8k.

You’ll be close to the limits or slightly over. Probably fine flat towing. My experience is I’d rather have a lot of extra room on my payload. If you’re hardly moving the trailer, no grades, not long distances, then maybe it’s fine. I recommend going to something lighter though.

I thought the truck's curb weight included a full tank of gas. 

A quick google search shows it does. That certainly helps. I still think he’ll end up near that 7k limit with tongue weight and people. Bags or a super spring would help.

• Like 1

It looks like you are already too close to the limit of your truck, even without knowing exactly what the trailer would weigh fully-loaded. That 750 lb. tongue weight does not include the weight of the weight-distributing hitch you'll need for towing that trailer, and it may not include full LP tanks, batteries, added options, or water (the manufacturer's website should provide those details). The WD hitch will add at least another 50 lbs. to the tongue weight. What is in the front of the trailer? Storage bin? Bedroom? Kitchen? Holding tanks forward of the axles? Winter clothes/coats are heavy, food can be heavy (avoid glassware or jars), and water weighs 8.34 lbs./gal. Remember, anything placed in/on the trailer forward of the axles will affect tongue weight.

I've been towing for over 40 years, and I would never consider towing a trailer that size/weight with the truck you have. Since you already have the truck, and don't want to replace it, you need to reconsider the size of the trailer. There are plenty of really nice light-weight travel trailers in the 30' range that would provide ample space and comfort, even for extended stays. Make sure that the GVWR of whatever trailer you decide on, along with whatever you plan to carry in the truck, will leave you with a nice safety cushion, weight-wise. Never push the limits of safe towing, and make sure you have your WD hitch properly matched and set up for the truck/trailer combo. Also, carefully read the towing section of your manual (IMPORTANT). Adding springs, air bags, etc. DO NOT increase towing capacity. The factory ratings are what you go by, and you will be personally liable if exceeded and something bad happens.

The winter RV shows will begin making the rounds after the first of the year. They are better than going to dealerships for a first look. Better prices, too. Most RVers also find that they don't need to carry everything they initially thought they would, so you may just find that a 30' would work well. We haul a 29' with one slide-out, and it's fine for three adults and two cats, even for a month at a time.