Frozen tailgate latches

Thomcat

Truck is equipped with the remote drop tailgate and OEM tonneau cover. Just finished making my own version of a "Slim Jim" shaped to get behind the vertical seal and allow me to pop the lever to release the tonneau cover without opening the tailgate. Why?

Hadn't use the truck for two days after driving in a heavy fog with light rain. Overnight cold in below 15F and thin layer of ice all over the body and glass. Couldn't open the tailgate with either the remote or dash switch......heard solenoids click but gate still secured at both latches and no amount or shaking would release the gate. Had to stuff all the luggage in the back seat taking a friend to the train station......if luggage was already in the bed he'd be SOL (or worse me, having to ship it to him later). Parked with the bed facing the Sun and later in the day after all the ice disappeared tailgate popped open with the keyfob or dash switch.

2 hours ago, loud_pipes said:

Try coating your hinges, latch mechanisms/linkage and tailgate seams with fluid film. I coat mine every year, live in northern Ohio, and have yet to have any issues throughout our winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cool. I've got some Amsoil HD Metal Protector I can do mine with. Thanx for the 411

Thanks for the comments. Makes sense....I thought maybe it was a frozen mechanism inside the gate, but frozen latches in the striker bolts makes more sense and time to lube the striker bolts.

Another point freezing  - Also have the passive entry system on my Traverse and Malibu and during the past two Winters have had the handle buttons freeze up solid after a rain and overnight freeze or snowfall. A quick hit with a hairdryer or heat gun or letting it sit in the Sun will will free up the button(s).

Once buttons are frozen, passive entry won't work if handles are pulled, but the button on the keyfob will unlock the doors.

• Like 1

Whatever you choose to spray on and into the latches, I recommend warming the spray can and it’s contents in a bucket of hot water to increase the spray pressure and aid in displacing any moisture.  Ohio winters are not for whimps!! ?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...