Trailer Rear Camera and Trailer TPMS

New member here so take it easy on me.  New owner of 2020 GMC Denali 2500. Bought off lot.  I've been reading through the various threads on here regarding adding the rear trailer camera as well as the TPMS and I am still somewhat confused.  Well I'm not really confused if I want to spend $400 on a camera from "shopchevyparts" or spend about $300 for 4 TPMS.

For the camera, I currently have a Furrion wireless camera installed on my fifth wheel with separate monitor.  Works great, but hey, I want to utilize the system that came with my truck.  Assume there is no way to utilize the furrion camera, so a few questions.

Is there a wired camera out there other than spending $400 on the GM camera that will work?

How hard is it to run the wires from the back of a 5th wheel to plug in?

Can you view the rear only or does it only serve to view the "invisible trailer"?  The invisible option is cool I guess, but I mainly want to use it to view the rear of the trailer when changing lanes. 

For the TPMS, I currently have the EezTire system that uses a monitor and wireless modules that simply screw on the end of your valve stems.  I assume I can't use these to sync up to the trailer app on my truck?

So if I am going to buy 4 new TPMS for my trailer, I did see a link to Ebay ones you guys have bought for cheap but the link is no good any more.  I really don't want to pay GM $300 for 4 of them.  Do you have a link to ones that will work?  

Will any tire place install them for you?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the replies.

• hogcard changed the title to Trailer Rear Camera and Trailer TPMS

I believe you can only use the GM corded cameras to integrate to the truck.  I have been told that only corded cameras can be used to give the HD picture needed for the system to work properly.  

I have installed cameras on several GN and fifth wheels.  35 to 37 ft about as long as trailer that you can install the cameras on.  You have to put a very large loop at the front trailer to allow for turning otherwise you will pull the connector off the camera.  

The transparent/invisible feature does not work with fifth wheel and goosenecks.  You will still have the turn signal biasing and split view from mirrors with a GN or fifth wheel attached.

If you have the trailer tps system installed from factory the truck should have came with four sensors.  I believe they are installing this module as an accessory as well and not sure of your situation.  The only problem I have seen with GM system is some of valve stem openings in the wheel are larger than the sensor can accept so they will not work with those wheels.

#iworkforGM 

I have the GM trailer camera installed on my 42’ fifth wheel. I mounted it in place of the Furrion camera prep that was on the rear of the camper and ran the cable along the roof and then came down the side of the front cap. Has a nice picture and is great for backing and checking things on the rear of the camper.

41 minutes ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

I have the GM trailer camera installed on my 42’ fifth wheel. I mounted it in place of the Furrion camera prep that was on the rear of the camper and ran the cable along the roof and then came down the side of the front cap. Has a nice picture and is great for backing and checking things on the rear of the camper.

How exactly did you secure the cable to the trailer roof?  Is it unsightly running a wire along the roof?

11 hours ago, hogcard said:

How exactly did you secure the cable to the trailer roof?  Is it unsightly running a wire along the roof?

It comes with sticky pads and tie wraps to secure it. I also got more due to the length. I ran it along middle of roof from camera then angled over at the front cap to go down and underneath for connection. With the wire being along the roof, it's not that noticeable. If you're above the roof height, you see it, but looks good from the ground! ?

On 12/28/2019 at 10:47 AM, hogcard said:

New member here so take it easy on me.  New owner of 2020 GMC Denali 2500. Bought off lot.  I've been reading through the various threads on here regarding adding the rear trailer camera as well as the TPMS and I am still somewhat confused.  Well I'm not really confused if I want to spend $400 on a camera from "shopchevyparts" or spend about $300 for 4 TPMS.

For the camera, I currently have a Furrion wireless camera installed on my fifth wheel with separate monitor.  Works great, but hey, I want to utilize the system that came with my truck.  Assume there is no way to utilize the furrion camera, so a few questions.

Is there a wired camera out there other than spending $400 on the GM camera that will work?

Can you view the rear only or does it only serve to view the "invisible trailer"?  The invisible option is cool I guess, but I mainly want to use it to view the rear of the trailer when changing lanes. 

For the TPMS, I currently have the EezTire system that uses a monitor and wireless modules that simply screw on the end of your valve stems.  I assume I can't use these to sync up to the trailer app on my truck?

So if I am going to buy 4 new TPMS for my trailer, I did see a link to Ebay ones you guys have bought for cheap but the link is no good any more.  I really don't want to pay GM $300 for 4 of them.  Do you have a link to ones that will work?  

You can use any 433mhz tpms sensors. eBay always has them if you search 433 sensors. 
the issue right now with the HD cameras that we are unable to locate the end connectors. I’ve had several emails back and fourth and have located the the part number but they are only made to order parts. Here’s info I got for connector ends for a guy that pulled them out. 

P/N 031-6802 

23 minutes ago, Christopher Murphy said:

You can use any 433mhz tpms sensors. eBay always has them if you search 433 sensors. 
the issue right now with the HD cameras that we are unable to locate the end connectors. I’ve had several emails back and fourth and have located the the part number but they are only made to order parts. Here’s info I got for connector ends for a guy that pulled them out. 

P/N 031-6802 

Thank you.  Just want to make sure I am clear on your answer regrading the cameras.  Are you saying any wired camera will work if you can find the correct end connectors?  Otherwise you have to buy the one from GM??

Correct. Any 1080 camera would work. The cameras gm is using are nothing special. I’ve spoke with a few camera companies that are currently working on addressing an aftermarket option. The issue is gm was on top of the issue and designed a proprietary connector with amohenol and are difficult to get. I’ve contacted a few distributors and am still waiting on a response back. Made to order part. I also refuse to spend $400 on a $25 camera that doesn’t have IR ability. Here’s a picture of connector and link for some more reading 

8162472D-1600-4BF3-81C3-5A5A0BAC6F40.png

Edited by Christopher Murphy

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 9:35 AM, Christopher Murphy said:

Correct. Any 1080 camera would work. The cameras gm is using are nothing special. I’ve spoke with a few camera companies that are currently working on addressing an aftermarket option. The issue is gm was on top of the issue and designed a proprietary connector with amohenol and are difficult to get. I’ve contacted a few distributors and am still waiting on a response back. Made to order part. I also refuse to spend $400 on a $25 camera that doesn’t have IR ability. Here’s a picture of connector and link for some more reading 

8162472D-1600-4BF3-81C3-5A5A0BAC6F40.png

Does anyone know how to open this plug to remove and repair the connector?  I have removed the clip but can't unscrew it or pull it out.  Seems like the common thought is to chuck it and use a new connector?  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/28/2019 at 11:47 AM, hogcard said:

I purchased these and they work great when my Jayco North Trailer is selected after being hooked up and plugged in.  https://www.ebay.com/p/25034266056?iid=254626319087