Looking for a decent cam

Hello, I am doing a DoD/AFM delete and was hoping to get a little more power by upgrading my cam, though I am new to understanding how to read the numbers that are typically listed. The crap part is that I live in California and have to pass emissions, so it makes it a little difficult. Can anyone help guide me along in this process?

This is on a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/ 5.3L V8

Edited by Mr.Clark
Missed ingo

Hello, I am doing a DoD/AFM delete and was hoping to get a little more power by upgrading my cam, though I am new to understanding how to read the numbers that are typically listed. The crap part is that I live in California and have to pass emissions, so it makes it a little difficult. Can anyone help guide me along in this process?

This is on a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/ 5.3L V8
I had the dod delete on my old 2008 5.3
I went with texas speed stage 2 truck cam. Swg in temple tx did the work. And mail order tuner did the tuning.. I sure he could fix you up on the tune.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A "stage" 1 or 2 cam should be fine. Both will pick up power and should not be an issue with emissions so long as you have healthy stock cat converters and the tune is done well.

Anything at or under a 212/218 camshaft size is what you want and those should be easy to find.

As far as Lsa goes? Keep it under 114 or? 

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

A "stage" 1 or 2 cam should be fine. Both will pick up power and should not be an issue with emissions so long as you have healthy stock cat converters and the tune is done well.

Anything at or under a 212/218 camshaft size is what you want and those should be easy to find.

2 hours ago, redhot1.4 said:

I had the dod delete on my old 2008 5.3
I went with texas speed stage 2 truck cam. Swg in temple tx did the work. And mail order tuner did the tuning.. I sure he could fix you up on the tune.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You didn't read the whole OP I'm guessing as I mentioned I need to pass smog and I live in CALIFORNIA 

BTR recently came out with a truck torque cam, low lift, very mild to keep the power where needed, down low to get the truck moving.  Crane and Cam Motion have had camshafts like this for a while now.  Vinci too.

Crane Cams    1449501
Crane Cams    1449541
Vinci    MTR 065
BTR    Truck Torque Cam 30202111
Cam Motion    03-01-0027
Cam Motion    03-04-0026

Edited by swathdiver

12 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

It would work but wouldn't be what I would want.

Way better options out there. That camshaft won't pick up any real power compared to other options.

Can you point me in the direction I should go? Like I said, cams are a very new thing to me.

The guy above posted several different choices. I've also said what size camshaft to stay at or under.

Here are actual links..

https://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr-stage-1-truck-cam-212-218-111-0.html

https://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr-stage-2-truck-cam-212-218-111-0.html

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5002-tsp-stage-2-low-lift-53-truck-camshaft.aspx

Run better valve springs and I believe these use the stock pushrod length, so that's about it aside from the bit and pieces to make it all work. Like new 4X 3 bolt cam gear, gaskets etc etc etc.

2 hours ago, Mr.Clark said:

So is that not compatible? Tech support at summit suggested that one.

You could but it was designed to work with more cubic inches and a different cylinder head.

I like the single pattern camshaft for my non VVT engine (LC9) as that is what it was designed with.  With just a BlackBear tune the engine puts down 307 RWHP through the traps at the drag strip.  I am more conservative in my selections than most others, basing my choices after many hours of research and prior racing experience with other platforms, not this one, yet.

When the time comes, my 1st choice will be Crane's 1449501.  I like BTRs Truck Torque cam, however, they advertise it as making far less power compared to the former.  More investigation needed.  Cam Motion keeps tweaking their offerings and most of the ones I've mentioned can all use the stock valve springs.  There's little benefit in much more than .500 lift with stock 243 heads.  Maybe 15 horses for all that valvetrain stress?  No thanks.