cold start noise on 6.6 gasser

had my 20 gasser for a month. usually only on cold starts after firing, it sounds like the bendix in the starter stays out for a second or so, or a clutch fan type noise. at least thats what it sounds like to me. has anyone noticed this ? thx

Yesterday after work I started my truck while sitting in the cab and I could hear that short buzzing noise too, very briefly. Normally I remote start the truck as I'm walking to it so that it warms up sooner, so I never noticed it before. I should try and listen for it after it is warmed up.

On 1/21/2020 at 7:55 AM, SkidooSteve12 said:

Yesterday after work I started my truck while sitting in the cab and I could hear that short buzzing noise too, very briefly. Normally I remote start the truck as I'm walking to it so that it warms up sooner, so I never noticed it before. I should try and listen for it after it is warmed up.

something is wrong ,  they will have a fix eventually but we have to complain first. the more i hear it it sounds like a clutch fan issue

I took a short video of a cold start today and you can hear the buzz after the engine is running.

Also, does it take other 6.6L gas engines that extra cranking to start up? It doesn't seem to fire up right away like my 5.3L would.

Sounds exactly like the oil pump that is a common thing on the 5.3/6.2's.

It only happens on cold starts in the winter time for me. The variable oil pump is pumping itself back full of oil.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 11:24 PM, CamGTP said:

It only happens on cold starts in the winter time for me. The variable oil pump is pumping itself back full of oil.

never heard that ,, anyone expand on that. i would think the oil pump should always have oil.

I found a article all about the newer oil pumps but I can't find it right now.

I remembered this from a previous thread though.

Oil Pump Cold Start Rrrrp or Rasp

The oil pump design has changed from a gerotor gear type pump to a two speed vane type pump for fuel economy reasons. At temperatures at or below 32°F (0°C) or when the engine has been sitting for a few hours, it is possible to have air enter the pump through normal oil drainback. Upon startup the owner may hear a short Rrrrp or Rasp coming from the front of the engine. It is most often heard during a remote start. There is nothing wrong with the oil pump or oil system. No repairs should be attempted for this condition.

Edited by CamGTP

On 2/9/2020 at 5:52 PM, CamGTP said:

I found a article all about the newer oil pumps but I can't find it right now.

I remembered this from a previous thread though.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:10 AM, dgcat said:

had my 20 gasser for a month. usually only on cold starts after firing, it sounds like the bendix in the starter stays out for a second or so, or a clutch fan type noise. at least thats what it sounds like to me. has anyone noticed this ? thx

On 1/18/2020 at 6:10 AM, dgcat said:

I’ve got the same issue in my 2020 Silverado 2500 HD Custom with a 6.6 gasser... I’ve only got 500 miles on it.  It’s January so the temp outside is around freezing here in Washington.  Once the truck is warm the noise goes away on start up.  I’ll be listening to see if it goes away when the weather warms up.  I will most likely be taking it in for the Chevy dealer diagnose it.  Super frustrating.

On 1/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, CamGTP said:

Edited by KGray