2019 1500 Interior Windshield fogging and icing

When parking my truck any length of time, even overnight, in cooler weather, the inside windshield gets completely wet, when the temp drops, it will freeze inside. The only time I ever heard of something like this is way back when if your heater core leaked the inside would get 'fogged' up. Anyone else have this problem? 

16 minutes ago, Jerry Walleston said:

When parking my truck any length of time, even overnight, in cooler weather, the inside windshield gets completely wet, when the temp drops, it will freeze inside. The only time I ever heard of something like this is way back when if your heater core leaked the inside would get 'fogged' up. Anyone else have this problem? 

Moisture on the floor mats?

Anytime the humidity inside is high that can happen  -  to any vehicle.

Moist air gets close to cold glass.  Air temp reduces to dew point and moisture condenses on glass.  If it's cold enough it can freeze. 

Lower inside humidity and/or less temperature swing will reduce/stop the problem.

Edited by redwngr

Just now, redwngr said:

Moisture on the floor mats?

Anytime the humidity inside is high that can happen  -  to any vehicle.

Moist air gets close to cold glass.  Air temp reduces to dew point and moisture condenses on glass.  If t's cold enough it can freeze. 

No, completely dry. Sometimes it happens after the truck is parked for a couple of days. 

With the right weather conditions I've had frost on the inside of the windshield -- but not very often.  The right combo of internal moisture and weather conditions and it appears.

ya could be the rear window leaking letting moisture inside the cab.  Kinda like detailing a vehicle and shampooing the carpet it will condensate on the inside of the windows if not completely dry.

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Back window leaking?

45 minutes ago, Blong7328 said:

ya could be the rear window leaking letting moisture inside the cab.  Kinda like detailing a vehicle and shampooing the carpet it will condensate on the inside of the windows if not completely dry.

Good point.

Could be the reason for humidity.

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Back window leaking?

My first inkling of the back window leaking was excess moisture on the windows. Dripping wet.  Take it through a car wash and look for leaks on either end of the frame. Mine was caulked by the dealer. They did it neatly, and almost two months later it's not leaking. I will never  trust it and look for leaks every time it rains. See the rear window leak thread on this site.

Some real horror stories on this subject. It's making me look at Ram and Ford for my next truck. I never thought I would say that.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, smit303 said:

My first inkling of the back window leaking was excess moisture on the windows. Dripping wet.  Take it through a car wash and look for leaks on either end of the frame. Mine was caulked by the dealer. They did it neatly, and almost two months later it's not leaking. I will never  trust it and look for leaks every time it rains. See the rear window leak thread on this site.

Some real horror stories on this subject. It's making me look at Ram and Ford for my next truck. I never thought I would say that.

I don't want to be a downer but Ford guys were initially dealing with a lot of rear window leaks for this gen of 1/2 tons (actually more specifically 2018 models).  Some customers were dealing with the 5.0 oil consumption and window leak (buying a model that had been sitting on the lot got mold and all that).

Best of luck, start checking it once a month then once a quarter etc.  you should feel good after a while.

OP is referring to the windshield, mine does it also for a reason:

HVAC module programmed for "afterblow"? It is off by default but some dealers set it to on during the prep. Done for prevent odor from growth on a damp evaporator coil and you'll see moisture/ice on the windshield after parking.

When afterblow has been enabled by the scan tool the blower motor will operate at 68 percent blower speed for 2 minutes 30 seconds to 4 minutes after the engine has been in Key OFF for 30 minutes.

The following conditions must be met for the HVAC module to operate the afterblow:

• The outside air temperature must be at least 21°C (70°F).

• The A/C compressor must have operated during the latest key cycle.

• The engine must be turned off for at least 30 minutes.

• The system voltage must be at least 12 volts.

Edited by Thomcat

12 hours ago, Jerry Walleston said:

I think I may have found the culprit. I keep bottles of emergency water under the back seat, they freeze and thaw and sweat. That may be the cause. I pulled them out to see if anything changes. 

Thought original post mentioned just the windshield was affected? Moisture trapped inside the vehicle will deposit on all internal glass surfaces, afterblow or heater core leakage only shows up on the windshield. Good Luck with removing your water bottles.

Edited by Thomcat