Gas Tank

3 hours ago, Zac Davidson said:

I guess I’m not sold that I have the 36 gallon diesel tank just a hunch

Installing the wrong fuel tank seems like an unusual mistake to make.  There is probably enough error-proofing in the assembly process to make it next to impossible.  Shame on GM if there isn't.  It would be simple to do.

'Range' calculation based on recent/current rate of fuel consumption and an estimate of amount sloshing around in the tank.. The steadier that rate of consumption, the more accurate the estimate. 

I have the same truck. It’s 36 gal. If you wait until the refuel light comes on, then you’ll have about 5-6 gals of fuel left in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Do current model GM 1500, 2500 and 3500 crew cab trucks share the same cab (in terms of dimensions)? If yes, does anyone know if a 36 gallon 2500/3500 gas tank (not diesel) would swap/fit in place of the 24 gallon 1500 gas tank? I've looked under the 1500 CC and there appears to be a lot of unused space in front of the 24 gallon tank (presumably for the DEF tank for the 3.0 diesel engine).

5 hours ago, Teedger said:

Do current model GM 1500, 2500 and 3500 crew cab trucks share the same cab (in terms of dimensions)? If yes, does anyone know if a 36 gallon 2500/3500 gas tank (not diesel) would swap/fit in place of the 24 gallon 1500 gas tank? I've looked under the 1500 CC and there appears to be a lot of unused space in front of the 24 gallon tank (presumably for the DEF tank for the 3.0 diesel engine).

I don't know if it's possible to cobble something up, but the LD frames are quite a bit shallower than the HD frames. 

I’m almost positive my 21 3500 has a 29 gal tank. I have ran to almost empty twice and not been able to put even 29 gallons in. UNLESS the distance till empty is way off. 

On 11/7/2021 at 10:22 AM, bones30 said:

I’m almost positive my 21 3500 has a 29 gal tank. I have ran to almost empty twice and not been able to put even 29 gallons in. UNLESS the distance till empty is way off. 

If it's a reg cab diesel it has a 28 gallon.

All other 21 3500's (gas and diesel, in any cab/box combo) have 36 gallon

correction in post below

Edited by redwngr

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2021 at 7:12 AM, redwngr said:

If it's a reg cab diesel it has a 28 gallon.

All other 21 3500's (gas and diesel, in any cab/box combo) have 36 gallon

The 2021 owners manual capacities page 404 says the double cab diesel with standard box has a 29.4 gallon tank. 

5 hours ago, Another JR said:

The 2021 owners manual capacities page 404 says the double cab diesel with standard box has a 29.4 gallon tank. 

Good catch. 

I stand corrected. 🤬

Order guide specs also show that info for the DC std box diesel 

Regular cab..................................................................................................................2wd long...................4wd long

Fuel capacity, for gas engine,   gallon (liters) 36 (136) 36 (136)
Fuel capacity, for Diesel engine,   gallon (liters) 28 (106) 28 (106)

Double cab.......................................................................................2wd std..........4wd std..........2wd long.........4wd long..

Fuel capacity, for gas engine,   gallon (liters) 36 (136) 36 (136) 36 (136) 36 (136)
Fuel capacity, for Diesel engine,   gallon (liters) 29 (110) 29 (111) 36 (136) 36 (136)

Crew.................................................................................................2wd std..........4wd std.......2wd long........4wd long...

Fuel capacity, for gas engine,   gallon (liters) 36 (136) 36 (136) 36 (136) 36 (136)
Fuel capacity, for Diesel engine,   gallon (liters) 36 (136) 36 (136) 36 (136) 36 (136)
Edited by redwngr

On 2/5/2020 at 11:15 PM, Zac Davidson said:

Well to be fair it said I had 109 miles left so I guess not to empty...I’ll wait longer next time

I once came close to running dry on the gas tank on a trip to south dakota. There is no reserve calculated in my mile range indicator. The tank holds 36 gallons.  I had a post somewhere buried in the past that explained it, it was very accurate mainly because my driving was consistently the same for hours.

• 3 weeks later...

I rolled into a truck stop last summer with our 42ft fifth wheel bone dry in the middle of Wyoming and pumped 36.5 gallons. I was pretty nervous I was going to run out. Good thing I always top off after a fill. Lol. 

On 2/7/2020 at 10:22 AM, Zac Davidson said:

I guess I’m not sold that I have the 36 gallon diesel tank just a hunch

Im not either.  My 21 crew cab diesel< i have never been able to get more than 29 gallons in.  yeah Ive heard the diesel foams things, and yes I have waited for it to settle.  Only explanation is when the light goes off its way off and telling you its close to empty when you have really almost 1/5 a of a tank left.