Gas Tank

The whole reason for the smaller tanks on some models is limited space (length) for the fuel and DEF tanks. Maybe someone with a 36 gallon diesel tank can measure the length of their tank and post it so you can compare. I can’t do it because I have a gas truck. 

21 minutes ago, Another JR said:

The whole reason for the smaller tanks on some models is limited space (length) for the fuel and DEF tanks. Maybe someone with a 36 gallon diesel tank can measure the length of their tank and post it so you can compare. I can’t do it because I have a gas truck. 

Maybe but thats not what people are thinking or saying.  I have a crew cab standard bed,  spec says 36 gallon,  build sheet says 36,  ive never been able to get more than 29 gallons in. 

Just remember.  This decrease in certain diesel tank sizes (reg cab and DCSB) all happened because the GM truck world complained about the DEF fill and tank location.  Then the bright engineers decided to shove the DEF tank directly in front of the fuel tank, leading to those two configs getting smaller fuel tanks. 

Should have left it outside the frame rail with a shorter and longer tank (to keep clearance good) and put it on the driver's side of the truck so they could still move the DEF fill port where they did.      

Edited by newdude

1 hour ago, nards444 said:

Maybe but thats not what people are thinking or saying.  I have a crew cab standard bed,  spec says 36 gallon,  build sheet says 36,  ive never been able to get more than 29 gallons in. 

What 'remaining range' is your truck saying when the low fuel light comes on? 

10 hours ago, nards444 said:

Have you discussed it with your dealer service dept?  It could be normal, or it could be wrong tank, wrong sending unit, or wrong display software configuration. The dealer should be able to check all those things to diagnose it if they agree it’s not normal behavior. I would think it would be covered under the warranty.