Getting dealer to program external keypad

2016 Silverado LT

I bought an external keypad to unlock my doors.  I took it to the dealer to get it programmed, and they quoted me three+ hours of labor at over $300.  Anyone got a better idea how to get this thing programmed?  I don't mind shipping it to a better dealer or someone with the equipment.

That's a pretty good spot, i am going to put one on the gas cap door inside.
I thought about putting mine there, but if I remember correctly it wouldn't sit flat with enough room for the door to shut. I'd try a different dealer. 3 hrs is BS. Mine didn't even charge me. I talked to the service manager and he said they would do it since I bought the truck from them. It literally took them 10 mins. They had to make 1 phone call to get it the serial # on the keypad authorized. Then they plugged into the obd2 port and programmed it in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ~~AAJakeleg said:

2016 Silverado LT

I bought an external keypad to unlock my doors.  I took it to the dealer to get it programmed, and they quoted me three+ hours of labor at over $300.  Anyone got a better idea how to get this thing programmed?  I don't mind shipping it to a better dealer or someone with the equipment.

Order from GM accessories pick dealer install 36.00 to install. Why they would quote you 300.00 is unreal

That is precisely the device.  Do any of you have your receipt from getting this done at your dealer?  I know the guy who owns this dealership, and I think that would help get him or his manager to act right.

Or, if any of you know the technical description, that would help.

Shoot, if you just tell me the dealer who treated you correctly, I'll call directly.

5 hours ago, ~~AAJakeleg said:

That is precisely the device.  Do any of you have your receipt from getting this done at your dealer?  I know the guy who owns this dealership, and I think that would help get him or his manager to act right.

Or, if any of you know the technical description, that would help.

Shoot, if you just tell me the dealer who treated you correctly, I'll call directly.

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/electronics/keyless-entry-keypad-23473339?year=2018&make=GMC&model=Sierra 1500&modelId=548&body=Extended Cab Pickup&bodyId=18&wheel=Standard Box&wheelId=132&trim=Base&trimId=20&drive=RWD&driveId=7&engine=5.3L V8 FLEX&engineId=2059&bodyNumDoors=5&categoryId=12013

when you checkout shows dealer install options click install

it will calculate 36.00 for install plus tax and the total. Take a screen shot and show him or pick another dealer 

• 3 months later...
How is this holding up in this spot?
Hasn't moved. Works exactly the same as the day I put it on. I was worried about the the sun beating down on it, but it hasn't caused any issues. I think it's been on there since September of 2016.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2020 at 11:12 AM, huntr1117 said:

Hasn't moved. Works exactly the same as the day I put it on. I was worried about the the sun beating down on it, but it hasn't caused any issues. I think it's been on there since September of 2016.

I live in PA and I am hesitant to put it there as sometimes we get a build up of snow in that area.

Anyone put it on the gas filler door?.  My only concern there are the fumes ..

I had myY programmed yesterday at the dealer.  I was in for other service and I asked them not to mount the keypad.. so they just put the box I programmed in my console. Of course it didn’t work.  They said they didn’t know I needed it programmed.   They said it should only take a few minutes, but they have never done it..  I said I wouldn’t wait good thing because 4 hours later it was done.  They were having issues getting the email back..

On 2/15/2020 at 8:15 PM, Sean006 said:

My programming was $27.02 including tax

Will this work on a 2016 truck?

Damn that’s nice to know the battery has lasted almost 4yrs 

had mine installed about 2 months ago. Love having this feature.