2020 Model Year, Things I like and improvements I would like

I wanted to put down some of the things I really like with the new 2020 models. Despite my issues with GM and my first 2020 (Chevy 2500 HD High Country), I really do like a lot of the changes they have made from my 2015. Enough that when I tested all the other two ¾ ton brands, I came back to give GM my money again. 

• Safety Features/Cameras. There were lots of things to like about the Ford and RAM, but when it comes to being able to really see things when towing, GM has put some real thought into the whole safety factor. Mirrors when setup correctly, should show you everything, but it's always nice to have that second acknowledgement that there isn't anybody hiding. This is where with the higher-end trims and the 15 cameras that I really appreciate the camera coming on when I put on my signal. In fact, I really like this feature and if there was one improvement I would make, it would be to always come on. That is, even without a trailer connected, have the camera come up for that brief period of time and show you what's alongside you. First time I had my trailer connected and saw this it shocked me. I had no idea the truck would do this (nor did the sales folks at the dealership ... I don't think most sales folks ever really tow anything and really don't know much in most cases about HD trucks), but this is one of my favorite features now when towing. 
    Changes: Allow for longer rear views when driving, not sure where eight seconds came up as the total length of time allowed, but slightly more time would be nice. I can see where maybe they don't want you to have the rear camera on all the time, but maybe a bit more time. 
    Changes: Allow for the cameras to be accessed in the 'shortcut' area of the infotainment screen. I moved the Cameras to the first page, but if I'm in the Navigation screen or audio screen, it would be nice to not have to go to the home page, then to the camera page. 
  • Heads-up Display. When I first saw the HUD, I thought it was cool tech, but now having lived with it for a bit more, I absolutely love it and think it's head and shoulders above where other truck makers in that area. Wait, nobody else has the HUD! I know the invisible trailer feature is nice, but GMs marketing department needs to really start advertising this feature as well. It is so useful! My wife drove our Volt home the other day and said, "I can't believe how much I missed the heads-up display, and I don't drive the truck that much." For those of you who don't have it or have no idea what it can display, there's a few different screens you can display. If you use the navigation system it puts directions up there, along with lane information for exits. When trailering in particular this is really helpful to know what lane you need to be in. 
    Changes: Allow audio information to always be displayed, or at least when changes occur. If I use the skip feature with my iPhone/iPod the song title appears briefly. One of my favorite local radio stations transmits artist and song title via RDS, so it appears on the infotainment system. Obviously they can display this info, why not when the information changes show it briefly? Seems odd that I can manually see that information if I skip a track, but not when that track changes by itself. 
  • Navigation. Finally a navigation system that I find useful! All prior generations of GM maps have been woefully outdated the minute they hit the car. This new navigation system seems to be cleaner and actually up-to-date. I'm still on the fence about the price for keeping it updated. I'm assuming that for the price of the OnStar package they are not only keeping the traffic info updated but will auto-update the maps over the network. Anybody know??? Trying to get info out of OnStar or GM is like pulling teeth. They want to sell you stuff, but the minute you ask for specifics nobody seems to really know. 
    Changes: Depends on how well they keep things updated. 
  • Tailgate. OK, this one is GMC specific, and I thought it was more of a gimmick initially. But after using it on our weekend camping trip, the step really made loading and unloading the bed a breeze. OK, GMC you've sold me on it. Now I just have to be careful not to press the wrong buttons with the hitch attached!
  • Transmission. Holy cow batman, that new 10-speed transmission is awesome. I never notice it hunting for just the right gear, towing or not towing, it just seems to be smooth as can be shifting. I'm quite pleased with that. Obviously with just a short drive of the Ford, it's hard to really compare to see if Ford's version of this transmission is as smooth, but regardless it a marked improvement over the 2015. 

As I said, I tested all the products out there and all at the premium trim levels, mechanically the really are close. I think Duramax and Allison are a solid combination, and I think Ford likewise has done an outstanding job (recently) with the Powerstroke and transmission. RAM may have the Cummings, but their achilles heal is that transmission. Still you could almost flip a coin and choose any of the ¾ ton trucks and get an excellent machine. This is where all the extra features are coming into play, at least for me and this is where I see GM at least a year maybe even two ahead of the others. But even with this, GM needs to fix their customer service. I still hold out hopes that somebody at GM responds to my letter (basically told them despite my better judgement I gave them more money even though they didn't deserve it and really didn't earn it). 

Did I miss anything? 

• Like 1

On CCLB trucks, both SRW and DRW, Ford has a 48 gallon tank standard for gasoline and diesel... Ram offers a 50 gallon tank as a $295 option.  Chevy/GMC needs to compete... no need to add a 51 to be top dog, but a 48-50 gallon tank would be very nice.

Ram makes their full safety system, including full emergency braking, available on every trim level starting at the base Tradesman.  Like Ford, Chevy/GMC only offers parking sensors, lane alert, truckside blind, and rear cross alert in their lower trim levels.  I shouldn't have to buy leather seats to have the safer truck.

Ford and Ram have both gone to separate amber rear turn signals... I always preferred separate turns to reduce confusion by following drivers.

All of the above reasons I went with GM this time vs Ford and Ram. First time with a GM truck and so far Haven't had any issues besides trying to still find the right setting to get comfortable on the long drives. Bottom seat just bothers me after about an hour.

I am still trying to get past the box side step.  I really HATE it!!!!   I understand how it can be useful, but it really looks like crap and over time will really look bad as it fades and fills with debris and road grime.  It also encourages your kids or your buddies to step up there to reach into your truck, which puts belt buckles and  zippers where exactly?  That's right, scratching the paint on my $90k truck.  If I could change just one thing, it would be for that step to be optional rather than standard equipment.   I almost didn't buy another GM based on that step alone, but in the end just couldn't bring myself to own a Ford or Dodge.

• Like 1

Sniperdan ,I agree with you 100% on that bed step.    I do not like it or need it.  Yes GM should make that an option. Maybe in the future  they will .If not, hopefully an aftermarket company will come out with a bed step delete kit.

• Like 1

Ironically, the bed step on the HD trucks is something I forgot about putting into my list. Maybe because I always end up using those tie-down spots, but I find them quite useful. Will they fade? Maybe, but my experience with the ones on the rear bumper tell me that they probably won't (at least any time soon. My 2015 looked just fine when I sold it). With those beds as high as they are, even at 5'11", I can't get into the box all that easily to tie things down. That extra step is quite useful to me. 

I had full wheel-to-wheel diamond plate running boards on my 96 Ram dually, and loved them.  Made accessing the front of the bed very easy.  My 05 Ram DRW only has cab-length step tubes, and I really miss having a step at the box particularly when it's time to brush snow or clear ice from the rear window.  Regardless of brand, my next truck will have a step there.

11 hours ago, Sniperdan said:

I am still trying to get past the box side step.  I really HATE it!!!!   I understand how it can be useful, but it really looks like crap and over time will really look bad as it fades and fills with debris and road grime.  It also encourages your kids or your buddies to step up there to reach into your truck, which puts belt buckles and  zippers where exactly?  That's right, scratching the paint on my $90k truck.  If I could change just one thing, it would be for that step to be optional rather than standard equipment.   I almost didn't buy another GM based on that step alone, but in the end just couldn't bring myself to own a Ford or Dodge.

Last year that side step wasn't there, and the running boards matriculated back so you could step on it to reach that part of the bed - i think I would've liked that better.

Ceramic coat it for protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another thread reminded me of this addition.

• Rearview mirror. The mirror itself is fine, and again it's a cool parlor trick to be able to flip it and have the camera display there instead of the mirror view. However, it's fairly useless because the size is not right. Your eyes take a brief second to focus on the video image. Which means you're no longer glancing at the mirror as you would normally, but instead focusing on the mirror. I think they need to go back to the drawing board on this one and either make it so the image is sized correctly and see if that helps with that 'micro focus' your brain has to do, or just get rid of it. It's an expensive item for something that used to be fairly inexpensive, and won't get used much in the video mode.

3 hours ago, Wbrisett said:

Another thread reminded me of this addition.

• Rearview mirror. The mirror itself is fine, and again it's a cool parlor trick to be able to flip it and have the camera display there instead of the mirror view. However, it's fairly useless because the size is not right. Your eyes take a brief second to focus on the video image. Which means you're no longer glancing at the mirror as you would normally, but instead focusing on the mirror. I think they need to go back to the drawing board on this one and either make it so the image is sized correctly and see if that helps with that 'micro focus' your brain has to do, or just get rid of it. It's an expensive item for something that used to be fairly inexpensive, and won't get used much in the video mode.

I have gotten used to it and really appreciate the extra field of vision it provides. Awesome when towing me fishing boat. 
What would be a worthwhile addition would be to make the rearview camera   mirror sync with aux  trailer camera so you see behind the trailer and not just stare at the front. This would be so natural and just make sense. The screen showing the split view could stay on (like it does now). That would be great. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Limelight said:

I have gotten used to it and really appreciate the extra field of vision it provides.

I'm curious, did you have any issues with the image initially? It's possible that because of me having to wear glasses that the whole micro-focus thing comes into play and so there's that brief micro-second that I have to focus longer on it for it to come into a clear image for me. 

4 hours ago, Wbrisett said:

I'm curious, did you have any issues with the image initially? It's possible that because of me having to wear glasses that the whole micro-focus thing comes into play and so there's that brief micro-second that I have to focus longer on it for it to come into a clear image for me. 

Yes, I wear glasses too and I find myself looking over them to get a clear image.  Most of the time I just look through my glasses and it's a bit blurry to me, but I'm not usually needing crisp details while driving, just if somethings back there...