Best and the brightest ???

Stock = 25w

HID retrofit = 35w, 45w, 55w

there is no bulb you can buy that will even come remotely close to 35w hid.

I recommend the hylux 35w ballast and the morimoto bulbs. One of the members here owns fastheadlights.com. Great source to buy them.

with above 35w, if you live in a hilly area, you will blind the living hell out of people. If it’s flat roads you should be ok with brighter than that.

35w hid will blow away any modern luxury car in output fyi. 55watt turns night into day.

The perfect setup for the country.

-35w hylux ballast, d2s or fxr projector retrofit, morimoto bulb

-rigid fogs

-Separate led light bar

If you buy a 55w kit, you are forced to be obnoxious all the time. 35w + light bar = obnoxious only when you need to.

Edited by truckguy82

1 hour ago, Determined said:

I can purchase all of that at fastheadlights ?

I’m not sure about the fogs or light bar

i bought my hid kit there. Haven’t been on the site in a couple years.

forum member name is fastws6 I think, or something close. He posts a lot in the headlight thread.

there might be a discount for forum member.

Make sure you buy a complete HID H11 kit for a Sierra. That way all your wiring is long enough to do it. If you buy a generic H11 kit, it might have short wires for a car. The Retrofit Source for US guys, Prolightz for Canadians have the proper kits. I went with 35w Morimotos and still get flashed a lot, if I did it again I would go to 55w ballasts because if I am going to get high-beamed anyway, might as well see better while driving. The Morimoto LED fog's are more for looks, but do throw a bit of useable light low and to the sides. Worth the $250, probably not but they look really good off or on. I also made some custom brackets and put a 30" bar behind the grille, no lighting complaints now. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Make sure you buy a complete HID H11 kit for a Sierra. That way all your wiring is long enough to do it. If you buy a generic H11 kit, it might have short wires for a car. The Retrofit Source for US guys, Prolightz for Canadians have the proper kits. I went with 35w Morimotos and still get flashed a lot, if I did it again I would go to 55w ballasts because if I am going to get high-beamed anyway, might as well see better while driving. The Morimoto LED fog's are more for looks, but do throw a bit of useable light low and to the sides. Worth the $250, probably not but they look really good off or on. I also made some custom brackets and put a 30" bar behind the grille, no lighting complaints now. 

I never get flashed with my 35w

never in a million years would I go 55w

Edited by truckguy82

I have a 2019 Silverado LD - With  HID's , sometimes they come on bright and stay bright , other times come on bright then dim ,   Sale's person says it normal  ????   Do I need NEW HID's .   Looking for info. Thanks

On 2/22/2020 at 10:06 AM, truckguy82 said:

Projector

Anybody that has 35w or higher hid’s in oem halogen reflectors should be put to death.

I get mad at the young bucks that put HID lights in a non-projector housing, that's when it kills the other drivers. I have never had 55w so I am not sure how much brighter they are than 35w, I cant see it being more than 1,000 lumens more but I haven't looked into it, everyone told me 35w would be fine, which they are in a sense but could be brighter. My 2018 2500 OEM lights are just as good or better than my 35w. I find the new T1 Chevies are just as bright as the K2's were when you meet them. The 2016+ K2's were just as bright when oncoming as the 14-15. I didn't realize the projector style were different for Halogen vs. HID. Maybe if I switch my projectors I would get better light output? 

The reason I get flashed is not primarily because of the intensity of the light, but because the approaching vehicle cresting the hill is below my cut off line. All steep rolling hills here on our highway so you are always under people's cut off lines. Most people have figured it out but there is still the odd low IQ person that hasn't figured it out yet that needs to flash you. These style lights were more designed for flat smooth multi lane highways, not up and down like 17 in Canada. I had read a few years back they were trying to make gyrostabilized projectors in Australia mandatory for this reason, doubt it came into fruition. 

5 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

I get mad at the young bucks that put HID lights in a non-projector housing, that's when it kills the other drivers. I have never had 55w so I am not sure how much brighter they are than 35w, I cant see it being more than 1,000 lumens more but I haven't looked into it, everyone told me 35w would be fine, which they are in a sense but could be brighter. My 2018 2500 OEM lights are just as good or better than my 35w. I find the new T1 Chevies are just as bright as the K2's were when you meet them. The 2016+ K2's were just as bright when oncoming as the 14-15. I didn't realize the projector style were different for Halogen vs. HID. Maybe if I switch my projectors I would get better light output? 

The reason I get flashed is not primarily because of the intensity of the light, but because the approaching vehicle cresting the hill is below my cut off line. All steep rolling hills here on our highway so you are always under people's cut off lines. Most people have figured it out but there is still the odd low IQ person that hasn't figured it out yet that needs to flash you. These style lights were more designed for flat smooth multi lane highways, not up and down like 17 in Canada. I had read a few years back they were trying to make gyrostabilized projectors in Australia mandatory for this reason, doubt it came into fruition. 

Yeah if you have oem headlights that are similar in performance to your 35w hid, then my projector upgrade must have made a huge difference.

Vehicles I’ve driven at night at paid attention to the headlights.

-‘14 slt/denali

-‘16-‘18 denali

-‘19 t1xx denali

my 35w hid’s with d2s mini 4.0 projectors are without a doubt atleast twice as bright as any of those. I assumed it was mostly the bulb/ballast and not the projector. Maybe I’m wrong.

20 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Yeah if you have oem headlights that are similar in performance to your 35w hid, then my projector upgrade must have made a huge difference.

Vehicles I’ve driven at night at paid attention to the headlights.

-‘14 slt/denali

-‘16-‘18 denali

-‘19 t1xx denali

my 35w hid’s with d2s mini 4.0 projectors are without a doubt atleast twice as bright as any of those. I assumed it was mostly the bulb/ballast and not the projector. Maybe I’m wrong.

Could be the projector then. They are bright, no complaints. But as said I don't feel that they are any better than my 2018 Base 2500 WT's projector lights, pretty sure they are LED but have never looked closely. I have 4300K Morimoto ballasts to so its not like I am running 6000k+ killing my output of usable light. So did you buy aftermarket headlights or did you open the factory housing and replace with a HID specific projector?