ordering 2020 Sierra with max tow

flattop

Hi Folks,

I am having trouble on the GMC website trying to build a Sierra 1500 SLT 4X4. I have a base model SLT with the 6.2 and the 10 speed, and the Max Tow package configured. The problem is nowhere is there the option to add the trailer mirrors? This configuration also allows the 18" rims and the 2 speed transfer case to stay on the order? I like that!

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has ordered a  2020 SLT with max tow and got the trailer mirrors?

My salesman is on vacation this week, so I will have to wait to consult the dealer.

Thanks,

Flattop

Tow mirrors on 1500 weren't available in 2019. They returned in 2020.

Tow mirrors are no longer part of the Max Tow package. 

Tow mirrors can be added to any trim -- even thou max tow cannot.

The diesel can't be ordered with max tow - but, for example, you can order a diesel Denali with tow mirrors....

However, you can't find them because on SLT, tow mirrors are no longer available to order for 2020.  

Here's from the current order guide for 1500 Sierra:

DQS         NEW!  Mirrors, outside power-adjustable vertical trailering with heated and auto-dimming upper glass, lower convex mirrors, turn signal indicators, puddle lamps, perimeter lighting, auxiliary lighting and memory; power folding/ manual extending

On SLT - No longer available for 2020. Requires (CWM) Technology Package.

On AT4 - Requires (CWM) Technology Package. Not available with (S4X) Black mirror caps, LPO.

On Denali - Requires (CWM) Technology Package. 

For the other trims:

DPO         NEW!  Mirrors, outside power-adjustable vertical trailering with heated upper glass, lower convex mirrors, integrated turn signals, clearance lamps and auxiliary lighting; manual folding/extending

On Base Sierra - Requires (PCI) Convenience Package or (PEB) Sierra Value Package and (Z82) Trailering Package. Includes (DD8) auto-dimming inside rear view mirror. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.

On SLE and Elevation - Includes (DD8) auto-dimming inside rear view mirror. Requires (Z82) Trailering Package. 

Max Tow is only available on SLE, Elevation and SLT.

Max Trailering Package, includes 9.76" rear axle, (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs, increased RGAWR and (KW5) 220-amp alternator

On SLE and Elevation - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine, (Z82) Trailering Package, (G80) locking differential and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Includes (JL1) trailer brake controller. Not available with 22" LPO wheels or (X31) X31 Off-Road Package.

On SLT  - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Not available with 22" LPO wheels, or (X31) X31 Off-Road Package. 

1 hour ago, flattop said:

Hi Folks,

I am having trouble on the GMC website trying to build a Sierra 1500 SLT 4X4. I have a base model SLT with the 6.2 and the 10 speed, and the Max Tow package configured. The problem is nowhere is there the option to add the trailer mirrors? This configuration also allows the 18" rims and the 2 speed transfer case to stay on the order? I like that!

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has ordered a  2020 SLT with max tow and got the trailer mirrors?

My salesman is on vacation this week, so I will have to wait to consult the dealer.

Thanks,

Flattop

GMC does not offer tow mirrors on SLT models.  The reason is that they only offer power folding tow mirrors with cameras on them, which requires the Tech package.  Tech package is not available for SLT models.

You have 2 options to get tow mirrors on a GMC, and only the first lets you keep a 6.2: 1) Step up to a AT4/Denali to get power folding mirrors. 2) Step down to a SLE/Elevation to get manual folding mirrors.

Edited by pewterliftedz

Thanks for the replies, I guess I could just order the SLT and then order the towing mirrors and install them myself. Seems really strange to offer the Max Tow package ( for towing large heavy trailers) and not offer the large towing mirrors?

If the 6.2 was an option for the SLE max tow, i would go that route. I don't want leather or the other SLT options, just a 6.2.

1 hour ago, pewterliftedz said:

GMC does not offer tow mirrors on SLT models.  The reason is that they only offer power folding tow mirrors with cameras on them, which requires the Tech package.  Tech package is not available for SLT models.

You have 2 options to get tow mirrors on a GMC, and only the first lets you keep a 6.2: 1) Step up to a AT4/Denali to get power folding mirrors. 2) Step down to a SLE/Elevation to get manual folding mirrors.

Must be some sort of production quantity issue.

Perhaps more volume being ordered than they planned and tooled to produce? 

Anyway, the guide entries for the CWM technology package and the DQS power fold tow mirrors both have notes that they are " No longer available for 2020 " .  

Seems like the were available -- so there may be still some out there at dealers. 

Edited by redwngr

37 minutes ago, flattop said:

Thanks for the replies, I guess I could just order the SLT and then order the towing mirrors and install them myself. Seems really strange to offer the Max Tow package ( for towing large heavy trailers) and not offer the large towing mirrors?

If the 6.2 was an option for the SLE max tow, i would go that route. I don't want leather or the other SLT options, just a 6.2.

Are you dead set on a GMC?  You can get a Chevy RST 6.2 with Max tow and manual folding trailer mirrors.  You can keep it pretty plain with 18s and cloth interior, as a matter of fact I just built one with the only options being those 3 things, keeps it pretty cheap.  If it were me ordering the truck I would definitely add the All Star package to get some creature comforts, but that's optional.

Edited by pewterliftedz
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, pewterliftedz said:

Are you dead set on a GMC?  You can get a Chevy RST 6.2 with Max tow and manual folding trailer mirrors.  You can keep it pretty plain with 18s and cloth interior, as a matter of fact I just built one with the only options being those 3 things, keeps it pretty cheap.  If it were me ordering the truck I would definitely add the All Star package to get some creature comforts, but that's optional.

I just looked at the Chevy site and you are correct.That RST is exactly what I am looking for!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, flattop said:

I just looked at the Chevy site and you are correct.That RST is exactly what I am looking for!

RST won't have all the fancy trailering camera views -- if you are interested in them.

6 minutes ago, flattop said:

Awesome man, hope that helps!

2 minutes ago, redwngr said:

RST won't have all the fancy trailering camera views -- if you are interested in them.

If you add advanced trailering I think you get those, don't you?  What's missing?

Edited by pewterliftedz

2 minutes ago, redwngr said:

No that wont be a show stopper. I have a 17 Silverado 1500 with the Max Tow package currently. It has no fancy cameras, simply good gearing (3:73) and the nice mirrors that help with towing the camper.

1 minute ago, pewterliftedz said:

If you add advanced trailering I think you get those, don't you?  What's missing?

CWM is only on LTZ and HC.

CWM         Technology Package, includes (UVS) HD Surround Vision with Two Trailer View Camera Provisions, (DRZ) Rear Camera Mirror, (UV6) 15" Diagonal Head-Up Display and (UVN) Bed View Camera
1 - Requires (PCN) LTZ Convenience Package II, (PDJ) Safety Package II and (QT6) power up/down tailgate. Includes (UHS) 8" enhanced Driver Information Center.
2 - Requires (PDJ) Safety Package II. 

UVS    NEW!  HD Surround Vision with Two Trailer View Camera Provisions
1 - Included and only available with (CWM) Technology Package. Recommend ordering (TRO) Auxiliary Trailer Camera, LPO if transparent trailer camera view is desired.

But  RST can add: 

UVN    NEW!  Bed View Camera, camera in the CHMSL to show a view of the cargo bed, includes Two Trailer Camera Provisions

On LT, RST and LT Trailboss - Included and only available with (UVI) Trailer Camera Package. 

TRO         NEW!  LPO, Auxiliary Trailer Camera, wired, one camera and hardware, shipped loose for dealer or aftermarket installation, additional camera available as a GM Accessory (wire length is 59', [18m])
On LT, RST and LT Trailboss - Requires (UVI) Trailer Camera Package.

UVI         Trailer Camera Package, includes (UVN) Bed View Camera which provides Two Trailer Camera Provisions

U1D    Advanced Trailering System, includes checklist, trailer maintenance reminders, trailer security alerts, trailer mileage, tow/haul reminder, trailer electrical diagnostics and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System module
On LT, RST and LT Trailboss - Included and only available with (ZL6) Advanced Trailering Package or (UVI) Trailer Camera Package.

9 minutes ago, flattop said:

No that wont be a show stopper. I have a 17 Silverado 1500 with the Max Tow package currently. It has no fancy cameras, simply good gearing (3:73) and the nice mirrors that help with towing the camper.

Sounds like you've found the one you want!

2020 RST with NHT will have:

NHT         Max Trailering Package, includes 9.76" rear axle, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs, increased RGAWR and (KW5) 220-amp alternator
On RST - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine, (Z82) Trailering Package, (G80) locking differential and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Double Cab models with (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine require 20" wheels and tires. Includes (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio and (JL1) trailer brake controller. Not available with (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package.