Paint protection film

Anybody have paint protection film? I have a RST on the way any day now and was thinking about getting the front end done? I got a quote for $1200! I was thinking it would be $300-$500. Never had it before so really don't know the going rate but that quote had me thinking I could get the paint repaired cheaper if it bothers me.

If you have it, what did you have covered and how much?

Do you like it and think it's worth it?

Thanks

'19 LTZ.  I had all front paint covered (not my chrome bumpers but you would want to cover your painted bumpers) including headlights, about 9" of hood, front quarters and possibly something else (can't recall) plus tint including windshield for I think $900.  I am in Charlotte.  So $1200 for ppf alone seems high.  I would shop around.

As far as it being worthwhile, yes it is.  I've read lots of complaints here and on FB about how easily the paint chips and how folks wished they'd had ppf applied.  

Absolutely get the front end protected with the 3m clear, especially if you have painted bumpers. It is best to have it installed right away before any chips, scratches, or oils get on your paint. I paid $700 for full front end & fenders at the dealer which included the Costco 15% off parts and service. I wish I would have had the doors done too. If you are a Costco member, I would take advantage of their dealers discount.  I print out a 15% discount every time I go to the dealer for something.  Works every time.

I live in Lake Zurich IL. I got a few different quotes and ended up going with Auto Image in Barrington. Got XPEL PPF on entire front end, a pillars, 12l on hood and fenders, windows tinted, the entire truck ceramic coated w 9 year GTechniq.  They did an awesome job. I think it was around $1800

30 minutes ago, Dbrace said:

I live in Lake Zurich IL. I got a few different quotes and ended up going with Auto Image in Barrington. Got XPEL PPF on entire front end, a pillars, 12l on hood and fenders, windows tinted, the entire truck ceramic coated w 9 year GTechniq.  They did an awesome job. I think it was around $1800

Thanks! 

I'm in Ingleside!

Fire guys in Antioch got back to me at $850 for Llumar platinum... I missed their email until after I posted this thread. I went back and read the other quote and that was actually $1500!!!

I'm thinking I want about 4"-6" on the hood, the painted bumper, the bar going across the grill and the triangle looking piece that is forward part of the front fenders.

I got Xpel Ultimate applied to front 1/4 of hood, leading portion of front fenders, areas around/under headlights, A-pillars, and strip between satellite antenna and windshield across top of the roof.  Paid $800.  My grille and bumper is chrome, so none applied there.

I apply Ceramic Pro through my business. $1200 doesn't seem absurd if it's a quality brand of PPF (3M or Ceramic Pro). We do the ceramic coatings for $1500-5000 depending on paint correction and type of vehicle. It really just depends on what products they're offering. It's definitely worth it though. Mine has 4 layers of Ceramic Coating. I have a coworker with the same color and you can clearly tell the difference.

1 hour ago, Alex Kemple said:

I apply Ceramic Pro through my business. $1200 doesn't seem absurd if it's a quality brand of PPF (3M or Ceramic Pro). We do the ceramic coatings for $1500-5000 depending on paint correction and type of vehicle. It really just depends on what products they're offering. It's definitely worth it though. Mine has 4 layers of Ceramic Coating. I have a coworker with the same color and you can clearly tell the difference.

Would you say this is something that a professional should do?

I was wondering if they made precut kits I could do myself? Otherwise I'm leaning towards a place by me that uses Llumar platinum which is the same as suntek ultra.

1 minute ago, Whipped500 said:

Would you say this is something that a professional should do?

I was wondering if they made precut kits I could do myself? Otherwise I'm leaning towards a place by me that uses Llumar platinum which is the same as suntek ultra.

100%, ceramic coatings should be done by a professional or someone at least comfortable with it. We’ve had dozens of people end up at our shops after they tried the DIY kit and ended up with uneven paint. Then we have to charge them extra to undo their screwup...

5 minutes ago, Alex Kemple said:

100%, ceramic coatings should be done by a professional or someone at least comfortable with it. We’ve had dozens of people end up at our shops after they tried the DIY kit and ended up with uneven paint. Then we have to charge them extra to undo their screwup...

Sorry, I meant the ppf...I'm familiar with coatings and high spots.

8 minutes ago, Whipped500 said:

Sorry, I meant the ppf...I'm familiar with coatings and high spots.

PPF is variable. If you’re comfortable doing vinyl wraps or tint, then you can likely do PPF at home. Just depends how much you’re willing to do and how long you have. PPF is just time consuming, not really difficult

There's a guy on Ebay that sells precut kits. I did it on my 2019 rst. It's a pain. And imperfections are very noticeable. I got mine good enough and got much better at it towards the end but there are several pieces I'll probably rebuy and redo. Definitely worth $800-$1000 for a professional install. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1