Amp Going Into Protect at Higher Volume

Hi all,

I’m looking for help from those that have added an amp and sub to their new Silverado. When I turn the volume up past half way or so my amp goes into protect until I lower the volume a few clicks. I’ve tried different grounding locations and even a different amp and sub combo with the same result. I’ve lowered the bass on the head unit to -3 or more and turned down the gain to 1/4 with little help. The truck is a 2019 Trail Boss LT non Bose with the 8” non hd infotainment system. I used LJ Customs T harness and Kicker Kisloc LOC to tap into front speakers for signal. I have a 10” JL 2 ohm tw1 and Kicker 300w 2ohm amp. Everything is hooked up fine and I’ve done several amp/sub combos in several vehicles. I’m stumped and this is getting really irritating. Please help!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SummitBoss said:

Hi all,

I’m looking for help from those that have added an amp and sub to their new Silverado. When I turn the volume up past half way or so my amp goes into protect until I lower the volume a few clicks. I’ve tried different grounding locations and even a different amp and sub combo with the same result. I’ve lowered the bass on the head unit to -3 or more and turned down the gain to 1/4 with little help. The truck is a 2019 Trail Boss LT non Bose with the 8” non hd infotainment system. I used LJ Customs T harness and Kicker Kisloc LOC to tap into front speakers for signal. I have a 10” JL 2 ohm tw1 and Kicker 300w 2ohm amp. Everything is hooked up fine and I’ve done several amp/sub combos in several vehicles. I’m stumped and this is getting really irritating. Please help!

Have you tried grounding to the frame?

9 hours ago, SummitBoss said:

Hello,

it is through rear seat belt bolt to frame. I even sanded down lug area to bare metal.

That’s where I have mine I have zero problems what are you running for your signal booster? Nvm seen what you have maybe make sure it’s set right maybe the amp is getting too much signal at the higher volume? 

Edited by greco2003

You mean the LOC? I thought this too, that the amp was seeing too much voltage in. I turned it down from an 8v max to 2v min and still had the issue at anything over 3/4 volume.

where do you have your power wire connected? I don’t have mine connected directly to the main positive terminal, but rather To a lug on the block on top of the battery. In the LLJ Customs video for their Trail Boss amp install they did the same, and had no issue. I’m thinking of going directly to the positive terminal to see if that helps. It’s almost like I’m either starving for power or getting too much.

50 minutes ago, SummitBoss said:

You mean the LOC? I thought this too, that the amp was seeing too much voltage in. I turned it down from an 8v max to 2v min and still had the issue at anything over 3/4 volume.

where do you have your power wire connected? I don’t have mine connected directly to the main positive terminal, but rather To a lug on the block on top of the battery. In the LLJ Customs video for their Trail Boss amp install they did the same, and had no issue. I’m thinking of going directly to the positive terminal to see if that helps. It’s almost like I’m either starving for power or getting too much.

I have mine connected to the terminal you don’t want to tap into the block. Yeah I meant the loc. 

Edited by greco2003