Blacked out Z71 logo but keep red

I was wondering the same thing, all my emblems/lettering are black except the Z71 emblems and the chrome around the black bowtie (my chrome exhaust tips don’t quite fit either but may end up doing Borla kit with black chrome tips down the road). I’m considering black vinyl, my brother is GM autobody tech and said the emblems are a lot of work to remove. I haven’t found any yet, will post if I move forward with it. 

FBF6121B-7B5E-42CE-8228-0380205E00E8.jpeg

8762EA35-C6AE-4DBD-B424-04BC75CE06DD.jpeg

Like this?
image.png.00b0f0034e247886f0f3711705c6c7ee.png

Removed the logo, trimmed off the tabs in the back holding the red part in. Removed the red part, spray-painted the chrome with a semi gloss black (after some light sanding), then hot glued it back together.

Here's what it looks like against the truck paint:

image.thumb.png.6ffbdf618d84cbeb9d1725922098e172.png

Full disclosure, my buddy who is doing PPF and ceramic coating on my truck did it.

Edited by AirIt
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, AirIt said:

Like this?

Removed the logo, trimmed off the tabs in the back holding the red part in. Removed the red part, spray-painted the chrome with a semi gloss black (after some light sanding), then hot glued it back together.

Full disclosure, my buddy who is doing PPF and ceramic coating on my truck did it.

Looks real good! 

• Like 1

You can do the same thing with the RST tailgate emblem. Buy a black one, cut (or Dremel with a bur) the heat melt pips on the rear of the chrome one, remove the red RS and 3M tape or glue it on the black one.

DSCN0628.JPG.2e7ff6951467bc3b51c0202efa69f810.JPGDSCN0630.JPG.893ea6465a108b29eab30189035188bd.JPG

• Like 1

Personally I hate reapplying double adhesive and cutting it perfectly for emblems that gets taken off. So I opted to buy new ones with backing adhesive and will tape off the red part then sand down and paint it gloss black. I’ll post it when I’m done and hopefully it’ll come out good and the tape doesn’t peel off any paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like this?

How much sanding was done? Just started my process and using super fine sandpaper and it’s barely scuffing the chrome. Also what paint did you use?

21 hours ago, RadoPhan said:

How much sanding was done? Just started my process and using super fine sandpaper and it’s barely scuffing the chrome. Also what paint did you use?

He used a dremel to cut the tabs in the back. Once separated he dry sanded with 1,000 grit. Then wiped down with Isopropyl alcohol for prep.
Then painted with any satin exterior or Automotive primer/paint combo.

Spray many thin layers. Says he did about 6 each. Give a full day to dry.

Edited by AirIt
  • Like 1

He used a dremel to cut the tabs in the back. Once separated he dry sanded with 1,000 grit. Then wiped down with Isopropyl alcohol for prep.
Then painted with any satin exterior or Automotive primer/paint combo.

Spray many thin layers. Says he did about 6 each. Give a full day to dry.

Thanks!!!! I guess the sanding is about right, just doesn’t scuff it up as much as I thought it would. I’ll give the alcohol a try. For the paint, I’ll probably use Rustoleum plastic automotive paint since it says it adheres to plastic easier and is a primer/paint combo. The only thing I’ll do different is not taking it apart since I just bought new ones that have the exact adhesive cutout already. I just tucked the tape under the chrome parts carefully which took forever!!! Thanks again for the insight!

d56c7e931093823d39300a982f67febf.jpg

1 hour ago, RadoPhan said:

Thanks!!!! I guess the sanding is about right, just doesn’t scuff it up as much as I thought it would. I’ll give the alcohol a try. For the paint, I’ll probably use Rustoleum plastic automotive paint since it says it adheres to plastic easier and is a primer/paint combo. The only thing I’ll do different is not taking it apart since I just bought new ones that have the exact adhesive cutout already. I just tucked the tape under the chrome parts carefully which took forever!!! Thanks again for the insight!

d56c7e931093823d39300a982f67febf.jpg

I'm sure that will come out just fine.

He custom cut the 3M adhesive, which was a bunch of work (all told (including prep, paint, etc.), he said he spent between 5 and 6 hours on the two emblems).

Here is the 3M:

image.thumb.png.5806eb50220f0ceb98b052bbdf794b3c.png

Here is the finished, mounted product:

image.thumb.png.7ce4db440e1bafd8f11204acee932ef0.png

I'm sure that will come out just fine.

He custom cut the 3M adhesive, which was a bunch of work (all told (including prep, paint, etc.), he said he spent between 5 and 6 hours on the two emblems).

Here is the 3M:

image.thumb.png.5806eb50220f0ceb98b052bbdf794b3c.png

Here is the finished, mounted product:

image.thumb.png.7ce4db440e1bafd8f11204acee932ef0.png

Oh wow that’s a lot of work too! Yeah after I was done with sanding and taping it was already 2 hours and I was surprised. The time it takes to make it custom lol

• Like 1