slow speed suspension clunking

Just had mine into the dealer. Same thing. U-bolts under torqued, apparently...Seems better now...I have a 2019 Elevation...15,000kms on it...

What I failed to menton is; they replaced all the bushings too.....The stealership said GM has a note on this problem, but no recall, as the complaints are not high enough yet !!! 

So if you're experiencing this noise, then get your ass in their, and get it done...

2020 Silverado 1500 Custom w/ Max Tow..

Already had the dealer take a look at mine with 600 miles and they said "They All Do It"

Now I have some ammo with the TSB posted so I am taking back tomorrow..

Thanks for all the posts on this issue.. i will post the results of my visit tomorrow!!

Thirdcoast  

Had a 2017 Silverado 1500 2wd that did this and now my 2020 RST with < 200miles is doing it.  Damn man, I should be on these forums looking for kick-ass mods I want to do.  Instead, I'm in TROUBLESHOOTING!  LAME.  Anyway, on 2017, it was the leaf springs and all I had to do was put some rubber between the leafs and the noise went away completely and stayed away.  Guess I'll have to apply this hack to my brand new, $50K truck or go to the dealer for that run-around.  Sucks that its just so much easier to fix this crap yourself than to spend countless trips to the dealer when they should know exactly whats up with this by now.  Hope you GM product guys are listening.

3 hours ago, Kiznolby said:

Had a 2017 Silverado 1500 2wd that did this and now my 2020 RST with < 200miles is doing it.  Damn man, I should be on these forums looking for kick-ass mods I want to do.  Instead, I'm in TROUBLESHOOTING!  LAME.  Anyway, on 2017, it was the leaf springs and all I had to do was put some rubber between the leafs and the noise went away completely and stayed away.  Guess I'll have to apply this hack to my brand new, $50K truck or go to the dealer for that run-around.  Sucks that its just so much easier to fix this crap yourself than to spend countless trips to the dealer when they should know exactly whats up with this by now.  Hope you GM product guys are listening.

I agree, sucks on a new truck, but just give them the TSB # and tell them to do it...it solved 90% of my noise.  Call your service advisor or manager (sadly, I'm on first name basis with my Service MANAGER), tell them you want them to do a quick test drive with you (they have to confirm it is clunking), then tell them to order the parts required under the TSB.  Once they get the parts in, have them call you, and you can be in and out in less than an hour.  That's how I did it.  I didn't even have to do the test drive part, but that is because I've had other big issues with truck and he wants to try to keep me happy...

2 hours ago, kpanza said:

I agree, sucks on a new truck, but just give them the TSB # and tell them to do it...it solved 90% of my noise.  Call your service advisor or manager (sadly, I'm on first name basis with my Service MANAGER), tell them you want them to do a quick test drive with you (they have to confirm it is clunking), then tell them to order the parts required under the TSB.  Once they get the parts in, have them call you, and you can be in and out in less than an hour.  That's how I did it.  I didn't even have to do the test drive part, but that is because I've had other big issues with truck and he wants to try to said:

Thank you.  What is the correct TSB #?  Saw one earlier in this thread but also saw a post that said that one didn’t apply to this problem...

10 hours ago, Kiznolby said:

Thank you sir 

Wasting no time, dropped off at the dealer this morning and it was fixed by noon.  Nice.  Have to says 'hats off' to Simpson Chevy Irvine and my service advisor Collin.  When I dropped it off, he knew exactly what I was talking about and was very matter-of-fact about getting it done.  I was surprised, relieved and happy.  Good way to start the weekend!

I've started hearing the clunking sound on my 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, particularly while backing in and out of the driveway, seems to be getting increasingly more obvious!  I've also noticed it, but more, slight while driving slowly and turning left to right back and forth quickly. 

When I go in for my first service in the next week or so I will give them this TSB and hopefully they can address it.  It is annoying,  I certainly didn't have that issue with my previous truck! 

Thanks for the solution!

Had this done last Monday..  Have not noticed the noise since the fix!! 

I did ask the tech if he had any recommendations for preventative maintenance.. he said :

"I think the best thing is to clean debris from the spring pad and add lubricant such as lubriplate high temp grease. I have had to reapply to my truck a few times."

I will follow his recommendation and we shall see ?

Thirdcoast

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer performed the TSB #19-NA-129 on my truck yesterday when it was in for it's first service.  Only drove it from the dealership to back home but it feels great and no clunking sound when going over the driveway.

I think it did the trick!

Just bought a 2020 gmc sierra elevation crew cab 5.3 L. I started noticing when i was getting out my driveway some clunking noise in the rear. I though to myself 50k truck? doesnt seem so normal, then i saw there is a bulletin for this (Same symptoms) so i figured id take it in. Dealer said its fine its just the car flexing. I had a 2018 silverado and didnt recall hearing this. Called another dealer and they said that i could take it in but doubt there would be a different result. Any takes on this guys? 

On 3/21/2020 at 2:04 PM, Gthompson said:

I'm having some issues with my brand new AT4. Just purchased a 2020 AT4 (2 weeks ago), had 24 miles on it. Within 100 miles it started making a clunking sound under the bed. Another 50, the steering started pulling and I had to take it in. Took it in and they tightened the u-bolts for the leaf springs which fixed most of the problem. The issue I still have is an annoying clunking sounds somewhere towards the middle of the truck, all the time. Happens at every stop sign, every turn, every speed bump. It's driving me crazy. The last time the dealer wouldn't even take it in. They said, "let us do some research before we bring it in." The suspension definitely doesn't feel like it did day 1, feels a lot "looser" and the clunking sound is tough to deal with. 

Anyone having similar problems? Find a fix for it? 

Thank you!

yup, mines not n at4. I got a crew cab elevation and this clunk is super annoying.. Its mostly on uneven dirt roads.. Took it to the dealership and of course they could not replicate the sound. Not sure what to do, i cant force they to do something right?

Just now, BlueRose said:

yup, mines not n at4. I got a crew cab elevation and this clunk is super annoying.. Its mostly on uneven dirt roads.. Took it to the dealership and of course they could not replicate the sound. Not sure what to do, i cant force they to do something right?

I ordered a 5 dollar bike tire tube, saw on youtube that this guy out this in between the leaf springs 3x6 piece and it fixed it. he had a 2019 trail boss which im guessing they have similar parts