AT4 Wheels on Yukon Denali

Yukon has a bad pressure/noise so in trying to identify it, some have mentioned wheels/tires. So here are some pics. The 2020 Yukon wheels are not offset enough to fit the AT4 as they rub in the brake caliper ridge so I included a pic. I know some have added spacers to fix that. Well the noise in the Yukon is still there so it did not fix it...but thought I would share the pics. 

C93321F1-142B-43E2-8D4B-DF080802B57B.jpeg

D796BE9C-4B18-47EB-8D2E-539A25248D93.jpeg

1EA211FB-2AD1-42B8-BC28-0F1EC22B6832.jpeg

53DEE05F-0A17-4471-876D-A67A514CE894.jpeg

27FA5485-A548-4967-B463-83B1FAD24776.jpeg

92AEC09F-E552-45B9-96C1-D20CFE9A74DA.jpeg

Edited by EXSlider400
  • Like 1

Google air buffeting or air pressure with the yukon/tahoe/suburban. They have had an issue since the current body style started. I drove maybe 15 suburbans before i purchased mine. Some were slightly annoying while some simply made me feel like i had a pounding headache within seconds. I have owned my Z71 suburban for 3 years and 30k miles. We use it for cross country trips.  I have noticed the buffeting sound less than 10 times but i think i helped it when i put a level kit on and a brush guard. I f’ed the air flow all up! Lots of reports blamed the thin roof metal and the very tight door seals. Basically the roof would move ever so slightly and create the buffeting sound. Pay attention to police tahoes. A lot run the rear windows down by just a hair. That gets rid of the pressure. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/12/there-s-a-big-issue-with-gm-s-suvs-and-no-one-seems-to-have-a-solution.html/%3famp

Edited by smrr1

1 hour ago, smrr1 said:

Google air buffeting or air pressure with the yukon/tahoe/suburban. They have had an issue since the current body style started. I drove maybe 15 suburbans before i purchased mine. Some were slightly annoying while some simply made me feel like i had a pounding headache within seconds. I have owned my Z71 suburban for 3 years and 30k miles. We use it for cross country trips.  I have noticed the buffeting sound less than 10 times but i think i helped it when i put a level kit on and a brush guard. I f’ed the air flow all up! Lots of reports blamed the thin roof metal and the very tight door seals. Basically the roof would move ever so slightly and create the buffeting sound. Pay attention to police tahoes. A lot run the rear windows down by just a hair. That gets rid of the pressure. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/12/there-s-a-big-issue-with-gm-s-suvs-and-no-one-seems-to-have-a-solution.html/%3famp

I agree. I pushed down the roof metal with my pinky. After multiple trips to the dealer and calls with GM...they said it is normal and that it is functioning the way it is designed. BS for that expensive of a ride to give us headaches...but we are stuck with it until we trade it in. Most probably on a Mercedes since we have had good luck with the E series AMGs.  My wife does not like the 2021 Yukon Denali because of the off center GMC grill emblem looking weird on the Denali, auto-start/stop (she knows it can be tuned off like my AT4), push button gear selector, screen designs, and it is just long enough that it may not fit in the garage (current one is tight already).  But most of all... GM pissed her off by not helping and for several years we have purchased Denali 1500’s and Denali 2500 DMax about every 1-2 years. Yes my wife is a Motörhead to ?

Edited by EXSlider400

33 minutes ago, EXSlider400 said:

I agree. I pushed down the roof metal with my pinky. After multiple trips to the dealer and calls with GM...they said it is normal and that it is functioning the way it is designed. BS for that expensive of a ride to give us headaches...but we are stuck with it until we trade it in. Most probably on a Mercedes since we have had good luck with the E series AMGs.  My wife does not like the 2021 Yukon Denali because of the off center GMC grill emblem looking weird on the Denali, auto-start/stop (she knows it can be tuned off like my AT4), push button gear selector, screen designs, and it is just long enough that it may not fit in the garage (current one is tight already).  But most of all... GM pissed her off by not helping and for several years we have purchased Denali 1500’s and Denali 2500 DMax about every 1-2 years. Yes my wife is a Motörhead to ?

Sounds like you are aware of the issue. We love ours but i was ready to give up and look at ford when we found ours. A MB would be nice. They make really great refined stuff but man they drop value like crazy and are super expensive to maintain. If you can swing that i say go for it! Especially if you can get a performance oriented version like an AMG. 

#metoo.  I discovered the booming/buffeting issue after driving a 2016 Yukon Denali and the wife complaining.  I didn't notice it at first because I was enamored with the car but after she mentioned it, it was definitely there.  Took a lot of searching to find one that didn't buffet and boom (too much).  Ended up getting a 2wd with 20" wheels (22s I read made it more susceptible) but sold it after a few years as the booming seemed to get worse.  I was embarrassed to take anyone with me other than family and needed a 4wd for mountain travel, so it was gone to Carmax.  Bought her an Audi Q7 and haven't looked back.  Waaaaayyy better in every way (ride, comfort, stereo (Audi Bose > GM Bose), etc.).  Getting into a new 21 Yukon Denail will probably cost $80 large which is so not happening for the quality.  

There is a large thread on this site talking about the booming/buffetting/vibration issue on the Tahoes/Yukons.  Not sure there is a 100% cure but some people have been able to reduce it.  Good luck!

Edited by cltsig

fyi, 20s vs 22s dont make a diff on the buffeting sound issue

& EXSlider400

GM & dealer know its not a normal issue, as there are TSBs for all kinds of possible fixes. (which most dont work)

i believe it to be more of a tolerance stacking issue, along w/ mon/fri build tied in.

Edited by gat0r