Programmer for torque management

The only info I can find for plug in programmers is very vague on what they do and don't do.

Do any programmers allow for different torque management for upshifts vs downshifts? If I'm going to spend money I want to be able to reduce the clunking during low/no throttle downshifts without making the upshifts too soft.

I'm sure all allow AFM disable (I have an old Bully Dog which should do that but doesn't).

I know HP tuners can do a whole load of stuff but looks outside of my own skill level. I had a superchips on last truck & was fine with setting all the points in the shift table but the HP tuner looks more complex than that.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Torque mngt isn't really what I say is the cause here. The 2014+ trucks are a torque based computer and adjustments to torque mngt have to be taken with great care.

No hand held tuner is going to do what you want. This is going to take an in person visit so someone can drive the truck and make changes that are needed.

I would be making changes to the shift mph speeds, shift pressures, on-coming pressure presets and the torque converter lock up settings to try and get smoother and more crisp upshifts and smoother downshifts. Rarely do I ever touch TM to get what I want.

Torque mngt isn't really what I say is the cause here. The 2014+ trucks are a torque based computer and adjustments to torque mngt have to be taken with great care.

No hand held tuner is going to do what you want. This is going to take an in person visit so someone can drive the truck and make changes that are needed.

I would be making changes to the shift mph speeds, shift pressures, on-coming pressure presets and the torque converter lock up settings to try and get smoother and more crisp upshifts and smoother downshifts. Rarely do I ever touch TM to get what I want.
It is the torque converter lock up that I believe is the main issue so if that is something only done by a professional tune I will start looking for local recommendations.

Shift points are actually pretty good for my purposes.

Thanks for the helpful response.

21 hours ago, CamGTP said:

can you tell me if you know of a forum that is more focused on trans tuning these trucks

getting afm turned off alone will probably fix your shifting complaints. I had my truck tuned local and it drives so much better
I wish.
Behaves the same in M5 and if shifting manually.

3 hours ago, flyingfool said:

can you tell me if you know of a forum that is more focused on trans tuning these trucks

Nothing really specific, mainly just HP Tuners for most things GM. Years ago there was a 6L80e website that you could pay a time fee to use and get access to all things about it but I never found much on there that was worth the money I spent. I learned more just doing stuff my self than what I got from there.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

I had an answer back from a tuning shop near me in Vernon BC, he says he can do all that I'm looking for. I will see how they plan to go about things.