I want to try a new drive shaft

Does anyone know if I can have a new driveshaft made for my 2018 Silverado 2 wheel drive and does it have to be aluminum I have an annoying vibration that the dealers wont fix and I am willing to buy a new driveshaft to try and fix the problem

i would try a new torque converter, these are the weak link in GM transmissions , unless your's has visible damage to the shaft or plan to drive over 100mph no need for a driveshaft, otherwise buy the OEM shaft.

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

.02  I'd check the existing driveshaft first for balance to see if that is the cause.

Quick, dirty and cheap, but it works. Mark the circumference of the shaft with 4 chalk marks at 90 degrees apart. Then place a really large hose clamp around the shaft and a 1/2 - 1  oz weight underneath the clamp (duct tape over if worried the weight might dislodge).

If shaft is OK it should run equally worse in all positions, but If the vibration increases or decreases at different points, the shaft is out of true or out of balance and replacement or balance expenditure is justified.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rick Murphy said:

Does anyone know if I can have a new driveshaft made for my 2018 Silverado 2 wheel drive and does it have to be aluminum I have an annoying vibration that the dealers wont fix and I am willing to buy a new driveshaft to try and fix the problem

I have the same issue on my 2016. Going to start at the driveshaft as this seems to be the cheaper repair that "might" work.

2 hours ago, Jetiemann said:

What Transmission do you have? If its the 6.2 with 8 Speed, you probably have a trans shudder, not a driveshaft issue.

I have the 6 speed

51 minutes ago, BlancoSilverado said:

There is a new fluid being called out for the 8-speed. 18-NA-355 for trans shudder.

LInk: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163890-9999.pdf

Thanks but my dealer already changed my fluid and torque converter and it did not change the vibration at all

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, David Wallace said:

I have the same issue on my 2016. Going to start at the driveshaft as this seems to be the cheaper repair that "might" work.

That is what I was thinking also

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

.02  I'd check the existing driveshaft first for balance to see if that is the cause.

Quick, dirty and cheap, but it works. Mark the circumference of the shaft with 4 chalk marks at 90 degrees apart. Then place a really large hose clamp around the shaft and a 1/2 - 1  oz weight underneath the clamp (duct tape over if worried the weight might dislodge).

If shaft is OK it should run equally worse in all positions, but If the vibration increases or decreases at different points, the shaft is out of true or out of balance and replacement or balance expenditure is justified.

Thank You I am going to try this first

• 4 weeks later...

Decided not to change the driveshaft because the vibration comes and goes and I don't think the driveshaft would vibrate sometimes and not other times I did take my driveshaft to a driveline shop and it was perfectly balanced