CB Radio / Ham Radio?

How far down did you take the headliner, and how easy was it?

Didn’t drop the headliner at all to drill the hole or run the cable. Used a wire hanger to fish the last 6 inches on the passenger side as the cable started to curl up instead of continue to the door side. A wire hanger can also be used to push the wire from the hole to the doors. I run it down the b-pillar.

Just be careful, there’s not a lot of room after you punch through the roof, that headliner sits pretty close and you’ll go right through it if not careful. Let the tool do the work, don’t push on the drill and you’ll be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you use a hole saw bit? I’ve always took the head liner down and shined up the underside of the roof to ensure a good ground,  plus the type of antenna I was installing required mounting from underneath anyway.   That was for CB installations. My work car I drove for about 25 years (had the big ol’ whup antenna with 6” spring before that) had several of those antennas like you installed. Occasionally had problems with them, but not often. I’ve got all the ham equipment, just never have taken the test although I’ve intended to do so.

Did you use a hole saw bit? I’ve always took the head liner down and shined up the underside of the roof to ensure a good ground,  plus the type of antenna I was installing required mounting from underneath anyway.   That was for CB installations. My work car I drove for about 25 years (had the big ol’ whup antenna with 6” spring before that) had several of those antennas like you installed. Occasionally had problems with them, but not often. I’ve got all the ham equipment, just never have taken the test although I’ve intended to do so.

Yeah I use a hole saw. Gotta be careful with those too because some cut the hole too big even though they’re 3/4”. Guess they’re thinking 3/4” inner diameter conduit so they account for the pipe wall.

NMO mounts have little teeth that pierce through whatever coating is on the underside. Eight antennas in 3 vehicles so far and I’ve never had to dress up the underside.

As for dropping the headliner: looks easy but seems like a lot of work.

1 hour ago, Jav_eee said:

Yeah I use a hole saw. Gotta be careful with those too because some cut the hole too big even though they’re 3/4”. Guess they’re thinking 3/4” inner diameter conduit so they account for the pipe wall.

NMO mounts have little teeth that pierce through whatever coating is on the underside. Eight antennas in 3 vehicles so far and I’ve never had to dress up the underside.

As for dropping the headliner: looks easy but seems like a lot of work.

Yes, the only problems I saw with those antennas was if the hole was drilled a little big and they couldn’t get a good bite. Never knew of good antenna for 11 meters that used the NMO. There were some, functional at best,  and most couldn’t take more that a few watts of power. 

Yes, the only problems I saw with those antennas was if the hole was drilled a little big and they couldn’t get a good bite. Never knew of good antenna for 11 meters that used the NMO. There were some, functional at best,  and most couldn’t take more that a few watts of power. 

11 meter as in CB freqs? What about the Larsen NMO27?

17 hours ago, Jav_eee said:

11 meter as in CB freqs? What about the Larsen NMO27?

Two problems with that antenna. Performance being one because it is short compared to a full 1/4 wave. And,  I occasionally run a amp. That antenna won't hold up if you hit it with much power. If I ever get around to getting my license, I'll put a 2 meter radio in and I will use NMO for that.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving this thread.  I'm very interested in installing a CB in my Trail Boss, but I have the full center console.  I'm considering mounting the radio under the front passenger seat and using the mic only to change channels, etc.  I'm also apprehensive about drilling the roof, and have considered mounting 1 or 2 antennas to the top of the GM Accessories sportbar behind or next to the Baja Designs light bar.  If not on top, then on the inside sides via antenna mounts from Axia Alloys.  I like the idea of having a scanner, like the Bearcat 990, and a few other things.  Also want to install a HAM radio later on.  Thoughts, help, and guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

I plan on stopping by a store in my area called Ham Radio Outlet to sell their advice as well, but more advice is always appreciated.

6 hours ago, nichos said:

@Transient I ended up putting mine on the bed rail near the drivers side cab. I can unscrew it when needed (parking garage or car wash).

Probably not the best for reception, but works fine for my use.

I think I stumbled upon another forum where you post up about the installs you've done.  I forget the name of the forum.  You seem knowledgeable, or could point me to the direction of somebody who does.  I stopped by Ham Radio Outlet.  That was a bust.  They didn't know a thing about CB.  Headed home I decided to stop by Off Road Warehouse because I thought they could provide some insight.  They referred me to another shop.  I went to that shop during normal business hours, but they were closed.  Called their number on Google Maps and ended up leaving a message.  I've been studying and learning, but info is sporadic, and seems a little overwhelming.  I could really use some help.  I'm leaning towards an All In One, but they seem to be hard to find.  I've found only 2.  One is the Cobra 75 WX ST.  The other is Uniden CMX760.  Both seem to be hit or miss with the reviews.  After CB in considering getting into GMRS and HAM, but also want a police scanner in the truck.  I could really use help sorting this out. 

7 hours ago, slj2008 said:

Check out walcott cb . (iowa). Check out your area for a two-way shop ? I had nine installed , where they build emergency units , they also ran my power wire.  Good luck

Thanks for the referral.  I'll looking into Walcott.  I've been looking for places in San Diego, but they are all saying to checking out the places I've already been to.  The place I mentioned previously that I left a message with did call back today.  They referred me to the Ham radio store I mentioned first.  The shop that called me says they specialize in police radios, and also happen to be booked solid through February.  After a little more prodding they did recommend a car stereo shop, but I think it was so the guy could get me off the phone.

On 12/29/2021 at 5:16 AM, Transient said:

but also want a police scanner in the truck

Have you looked at the Uniden Beartracker 885?  It's a CB with a police/fire/ems/dot scanner in one unit.  It has GPS so it scans the frequencies in use in your locality and will change them as you move from one locality to another. Pretty slick!

17 hours ago, FarmerMaggot said:

Have you looked at the Uniden Beartracker 885?  It's a CB with a police/fire/ems/dot scanner in one unit.  It has GPS so it scans the frequencies in use in your locality and will change them as you move from one locality to another. Pretty slick!

I have, and I like it, but I don't think it's best for me.  I don't want to take up space for passenger legroom in the front seat.  Safety regarding my son and wife.  I have the full center console.  The other option is to mount it in the bin above the radio on the top of dash.  My concern there is that it could lead to my truck being broken into.  I park in my driveway, and not the street, and there's a camera over my truck to catch any thieves.  My windows are also tinted.  Still, I'm trying to be as discreet as possible.  All of these safety precautions have not prevented vehicles from being broken into in my neighborhood.  We even having roving security.  That's why I'm looking at the all-in-one handset radios, and something like a short whip antenna, or the midland ghost antenna, that'll sit behind my lightbar on top of the sportbar.

Btw, I'm also looking into GMRS radios, and getting the license, too.

Edited by Transient