De-chroming a 2020 Denali

Hello all,

I'll use this thread to keep track and write a how to for how I remove the chrome on my truck.

I had a heads, cammed and stalled  2003 Silverado 2500HD that I used for towing my track toy to track events. Sadly at 270k miles, my LQ4 finally started to let go, when my oil pressure dropped from 35 psi hot to 6 psi hot. Sold the truck to a friend who swapped engines (he's using the LQ4 as a starting point for a turbo drag build in another car).

I wanted a new truck with a warranty that I could not worry about towing across the country with. I had the following requirements in a truck:

1) V8 (I'm most familiar with NA V8s)

2) Crew cab

3) no shorter than 6.5' bed

4) Black interior

5) Light exterior (I live in Texas)

6) Tech features (heated and cooled seats, Android auto)

In GMC, this seems to push me to a Denali or AT4 since the tech package is not offered on SLT and below (seems dumb to me). Took 3 weeks of searching but I eventually found a Denali that had everything I wanted. The standard box made things difficult to locate, and damn near impossible in an AT4.

Once I got it, I took it immediately to get front end PPF installed (whole hood, I hate lines) and a full body ceramic coat with a ceramic tint professionally installed (makes washing it very easy). I ordered and installed a bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, since there aren't any camper shells that retain the rear view mirror camera (I love this feature!)

I love the Denali, but I hate chrome. So once I got home, I ordered replacement grill (glossy black), lower grill, vinyl black inserts for chrome lettering and wrap for fog light covers.

Once I get all my parts, I'll detail the process for those who wish to do the same.

Here's how she sits nos, next to my

20200502_170557.thumb.jpg.d6dda8e9430b7a974ba7638e3908dc19.jpg

======= Update of parts purchased to do this conversion =======

Here's the parts I've ordered so far:

Big chrome grill: Glossy Chrome Grill

OEM AT4 Lower Grill Part Number 84176749

Chrome window trim delete

Vinyl Lettering in Matte Black

Matte black 3M vinyl to wrap fog lights, and mirror caps

OEM painted mirror caps if wrapping it looks like crap (84469250)

Here are some useful links I found for removing the upper and lower grill, since the lower bumper must be fully removed to get the small piece off apparently.

Helpful link on how to remove the upper chrome grill

Helpful link on how to remove foglight bezels

Edited by Jonofmac
Adding part numbers

Is the replacement grille you ordered the GM Parts grille, or aftermarket?
I'll post all lines and PNs once I confirm fitment but the large grill is aftermarket glossy black replica of the Denali grill.

I bought an OEM lower valence piece for an AT4.

I'll end up spray painting the tow hooks because I think it's dumb to have these chrome ones.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I often wish I got the standard bed, but it wouldn't fit in the garage.  I also hate the overly chrome Denali look, it'll look good subdued 
I've only ever had standard boxes. The times I've helped friends that had short boxes, we could never close the box. With all the extra tools I bring with me to track events, I didn't want to be limited on size, especially that I had to go tonnaeu cover over camper shell.

Mine would fit in the garage but it will never go into it. Vette goes in the garage and the truck has a car port so it's protected from weather and sun, at least.

If you don't Wana mess with wrapping the fog light housing, the ones on the elevation trucks are solid black. But it may be more cost effective to wrap yours.

Edit..nevermind.. after looking at your pics and comparing to my truck, looks like you have some extra trim around the housing that I don't have.

Edited by dram1983361

I cant wait to see how it turns out i just bought a 2019 Denali with the 22's and I want to try and find some 18" AT4 wheels and get rid of some of the chrome also!  

I cant wait to see how it turns out i just bought a 2019 Denali with the 22's and I want to try and find some 18" AT4 wheels and get rid of some of the chrome also!  

I’ve got 20” AT4 wheels, tires, TPMS, lugs all ready to go (mounted and balanced) if you are interested. $1500 for the set, only have 9k miles on them. Bridgestone Dueller 275/60/20. Posted in the classifieds.

FS: 2020 AT4 wheels, tires with TPS

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=33003&share_tid=237738&url=https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/237738-FS%3A-2020-AT4-wheels%2C-tires-with-TPS&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I updated my first post with the parts I ordered, it can order if I fail at wrapping it it looks bad.

So far I've received the chrome replacement grill pieces, upper and lower.

I think I'll try to knock this out next week, or possibly this Sunday. Front bumper disassembly looks fairly difficult.

So I got my vinyl overlay for the badges on the door and tailgate. Went to install them. Used isopropyl to wipe the badges off and then a paper towel to get a clean surface. 

Applying was easy once when you took your time. As a note, there are a few extra letters in case you screw up. Just don't screw up on a N apparently, because there are no extras. Sadly I had the wind luck up and get dirt on the back side of my last N for the bumper so I need to get another. But the doors are complete. 

Before and after below on passenger door. Looks good. Provides solid coverage. Hopefully they hold up!

Edit: these guys are stand up guys. When I reached out to get a replacement for my screw up, they sent me a new one for free! Fantastic support. I also gave the truck a wash since it was covered in bugs from my Houston to Dallas drive and the lettering held up no issues (used a pressure washer to rinse truck). It's raining in DFW today, but I'm hoping to get a clear day to go pull the bumper and get started on the front piece swap.

20200508_115621.thumb.jpg.552c78715536025d8cca7c475c3f5cf4.jpg

20200508_114435.thumb.jpg.41553206b13cead1e4641f226694f726.jpg

Thanks for making this thread, going to do many of the same things you did. I wound up getting the white frost mirror caps from GM for $92, worth every penny. Helped a ton in the looks department and very easy to install if you aren’t trying to save the chrome ones.

What do you plan on doing for the door handles? I really wish there were some white frost ones out there. I think black would be a little too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for making this thread, going to do many of the same things you did. I wound up getting the white frost mirror caps from GM for $92, worth every penny. Helped a ton in the looks department and very easy to install if you aren’t trying to save the chrome ones.

What do you plan on doing for the door handles? I really wish there were some white frost ones out there. I think black would be a little too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't decided on the door handles either. Don't want black.

Anxious to see the grill, didn't know they had one like that, might consider it on mine.

Sadly it's POURING rain right now in DFW. Haven't been able to work on this at all... Mildly frustrating. Tomorrow looks like nicer weather.

I do prefer the AT4 grill look to the Denali, but I do like how the Denali glossy black looks. Hopefully it fits well!

Sadly it's POURING rain right now in DFW. Haven't been able to work on this at all... Mildly frustrating. Tomorrow looks like nicer weather.

I do prefer the AT4 grill look to the Denali, but I do like how the Denali glossy black looks. Hopefully it fits well!

Yeah that's where I'm at, been non stop. I like the at4 grill better as well. Wish they would offer the denali with the darkened chrome the way they do on the at4, would probably prefer that to straight black for a little contrast since my truck is black, but that black denali grill does look nice.