SAFETY ALERT- Rear camera- READ ME

Good luck with your complaints.

Here's how my '19 RST with the Convenience II package with HD Camera and HD monitors works at night with IOS radio upgraded to IOT/Nav. Nothing wrong with the safety on mine!

At night or with the Sun sensor covered the +/- dash panel buttons will dim the dash and screen, including camera screens to almost total blackout.....this is especially useful with the Nav to reduce glare levels to suit driver preference.......dims in all gears except Reverse. And this is likely a safety feature that GM will never change because it is operating as designed......to override all dash controls and preference under Settings give full brightness when in Reverse so no complaints or excuses that drivers ran over something because the display was turned off under Settings or adjusted too dim.

I live in an area with residential lighting but visit relatives in VA without residential lighting whose developments are pitch black at night. The stock HD camera/monitor setup with lighting using stock halogen bulbs in the Reverse lens and LEDs in the red lenses when backing up under both conditions is bright but with excellent resolution, much improved over my old K2 without the HD monitor/screen. Brighter LEDs in the Reverse lenses make likely the glare situation worse, not better.

Only way to get dimming of the screen while backing up in Reverse is to previously dim the screen with the dash buttons, and while backing stop the vehicle place in Neutral to dim the screen to take a better look and then shift to Reverse to continue backing.

Edited by Thomcat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

Good luck with your complaints.

Here's how my '19 RST with the Convenience II package with HD Camera and HD monitors works at night with IOS radio upgraded to IOT/Nav.

At night or with the Sun sensor covered the +/- dash panel buttons will dim the dash and screen, including camera screens to almost total blackout.....this is especially useful with the Nav to reduce glare levels to suit driver preference.......dims in all gears except Reverse. And this is likely a safety feature that GM will never change because it is operating as designed......to override all dash controls and preference under Settings give full brightness when in Reverse so no complaints or excuses that drivers ran over something because the display was turned off under Settings or adjusted too dim.

I live in an area with residential lighting but visit relatives in VA without residential lighting whose developments are pitch black at night. The stock HD camera/monitor setup with lighting using stock halogen bulbs in the Reverse lens and LEDs in the red lenses when backing up under both conditions is bright but with excellent resolution, much improved over my old K2 without the HD monitor/screen. Brighter LEDs in the Reverse lenses make likely the glare situation worse, not better.

Only way to get dimming of the screen while backing up in Reverse is to previously dim the screen with the dash buttons, and while backing stop the vehicle place in Neutral to dim the screen to take a better look and then shift to Reverse to continue backing.

Thank you for this reply. Its good to note that from an HD owner

Its kind of ridiculous considering that my 2015s screen didn't do this non sense. 

Ill be interested to see what happens Monday. If that's the way its going to be i honestly would prefer to get rid of the truck. $55k truck that i cant even reverse. 

My 2019 sierra is the first vehicle I've had that even had a camera,  so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have to say I see absolutely no issues with the way it works, brightness, field of vision, or anything else with or without streetlights

12 hours ago, Dersch said:

Thank you for this reply. Its good to note that from an HD owner

Its kind of ridiculous considering that my 2015s screen didn't do this non sense. 

Ill be interested to see what happens Monday. If that's the way its going to be i honestly would prefer to get rid of the truck. $55k truck that i cant even reverse. 

So what? Is my '19 a safety hazard because I didn't opt for a more expensive Silverado with an electronic rearview mirror or overhead view in the monitor like my older '18 Traverse?....maybe I should write a letter to complain and give someone a good laugh. My '16 Z71 didn't have a HD screen and so I squinted or used mirrors or the "get out and guide me out hon" technique when available and then sprung for a '19 with a better video system which had not even been available in '16. And my 13 Avalanche didn't have a backup camera at all, nor the 30 or so other vehicles before that....were they safety hazards too? This whole concept of a too bright or washed out image screen being a safety hazard is absurd......no worse than turning the screen display off and using the mirrors or turning around and taking a look. If a driver can't safely reverse without having to rely on a monitor screen he shouldn't be driving in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Thomcat said:

So what? Is my '19 a safety hazard because I didn't opt for a more expensive Silverado with an electronic rearview mirror or overhead view in the monitor like my older '18 Traverse?....maybe I should write a letter to complain and give someone a good laugh. My '16 Z71 didn't have a HD screen and so I squinted or used mirrors or the "get out and guide me out hon" technique when available and then sprung for a '19 with a better video system which had not even been available in '16. And my 13 Avalanche didn't have a backup camera at all, nor the 30 or so other vehicles before that....were they safety hazards too? This whole concept of a too bright or washed out image screen being a safety hazard is absurd......no worse than turning the screen display off and using the mirrors or turning around and taking a look. If a driver can't safely reverse without having to rely on a monitor screen he shouldn't be driving in the first place.

As dumb as it would be to have a brand new truck with a camera i cant use... i would love to be able to turn the damn camera off and just use my mirrors. But i cant. And i cant even dim the camera so im pretty much ****ed regardless.

I absolutely know how to back up and ive been driving since i was like 8. My 2015 i could parallel park that in the tightest of spots without a thought.

Its the function of the camera in totality that makes it a safety hazard. The brightness literally blinds me cause it makes your eyes adjust

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dersch said:

As dumb as it would be to have a brand new truck with a camera i cant use... i would love to be able to turn the damn camera off and just use my mirrors. But i cant. And i cant even dim the camera so im pretty much ****ed regardless.

I absolutely know how to back up and ive been driving since i was like 8. My 2015 i could parallel park that in the tightest of spots without a thought.

Its the function of the camera in totality that makes it a safety hazard. The brightness literally blinds me cause it makes your eyes adjust

Doubt many owners on this 2019-2020 Silverado forum much give a crap about a monitor in a '15.....and I doubt anyone would give a crap about a true safety concern the vacuum operated windshield wipers in my '53 Bel-Air which would cut out whenever the vehicle accelerated......safety hazard no because it was the best available, most affordable and safest at the time........just like any resolution and brightness shortcomings in a '15 monitor.

If you really don't need a backup camera simply unplug it and problem solved, or post on the K2 forum.

1 minute ago, Thomcat said:

Doubt many owners on this 2019-2020 Silverado forum much give a crap about a monitor in a '15.....and I doubt anyone would give a crap about a true safety concern the vacuum operated windshield wipers in my '53 Bel-Air which would cut out whenever the vehicle accelerated......safety hazard no because it was the best available, most affordable and safest at the time........just like any resolution and brightness shortcomings in a '15 monitor.

If you really don't need a backup camera simply unplug it and problem solved, or post on the K2 forum.

Well good for you no one cares dude. 

If i spent a ****** ton of money on a brand new truck excuse me for expecting it to be functional. I was referencing my old 2015. But the 2020 is my issue. 

• Like 1

UPDATE 6/1

Talked to the actual GM rep thats taking care of me. Apparently there was a miscommunication and thought id had dropped my truck off for comparison. So today she set it up for me to drop my truck off and pick up a loaner silverado 1500 so i can compare myself also. I actually am impressed with how well shes handling this and how quick she got this all set up. 

Dropped truck off no issue. Hopefully hear tomorrow or Wednesday about it. Basically they are gonna visualize my trucks screen compared to others on the lots and see if theres does it to. 

Im currently in a 2020 LT with the 6.2L. First off on a side note holy crap this motor is ridiculous. Things like driving a race car. I punched it to get on the highway and was at 80 way quicker than expected. And the mpg is surprisingly amazing. 

Okay back on topic. I just went out and played around in reverse to see the comparison. 

SCREEN BRIGHTNESS- 100% a major difference. My trucks screen is way brighter than this ones. This one definitely does get brighter i did notice that but its more manageable where i can at least look to my mirrors quickly without having to wait for my eyes to adjust super long. Personally i dont know why the screen even gets brighter and still think its a bad feature 

DAYTIME QUALITY- id say the picture is about the same quality. Like not great but not awful. Definitely underwhelmed for a 2020 when comparing to my truck. 

NIGHTTIME QUALITY- So Definitely did notice a big difference here. So its hard to tell if the difference laid in the fact that my screen doesnt get as bright or if its a combination. On mine i mentioned that everything seems to just wash into one white contrasted picture. This one was easier to see things. I backed into the pitch black from yard and could make the tree out no issue. Now could i have backed in closely to it and felt confident i wasnt gonna hit it or something else not really lol. I feel like the depth perception on these cameras are half the issue. 

So overall there is definitely 100% a noticeable difference in the backup camera. We will see what they say tho. Im hoping theyll see it too and its not gonna be the lets pull the trucks right next to eachother and compare sort of thing 

Don’t worry too much about Thomcat’s thoughts...he wrecked his truck on a speed bump, ironically blamed the truck and then bought a Toyota Highlander. Now the Toyota forum gets to hear that crap instead. ?

Does the loaner truck have the HD camera? I assume you meant LTZ because the LT can’t get the 6.2. If so it has the HD standard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OnTheReel said:

Don’t worry too much about Thomcat’s thoughts...he wrecked his truck on a speed bump, ironically blamed the truck and then bought a Toyota Highlander. Now the Toyota forum gets to hear that crap instead. ?

Does the loaner truck have the HD camera? I assume you meant LTZ because the LT can’t get the 6.2. If so it has the HD standard.

Hmmm. It definitely says LT on the back. I guess i need to run the vin to confirm. But i thought you could get the 6.2 with the LT. 

I need to look into this. Cause either my trucks an absolute dog for some reason or idk. 

As far as i know it only has the standard camera. Imma run the vin to try and find the window sheet to see for sure

Just found the window sticker in the truck

Its an LT with the 5.3L and the 8 speed and the standard camera. 

My truck has the 5.3l with the 10 speed. Would it make that much of a difference? Like a real noticable difference? I don't need a race car truck by any means it just was surprising the difference in acceleration 

1 hour ago, Dersch said:

Just found the window sticker in the truck

Its an LT with the 5.3L and the 8 speed and the standard camera. 

My truck has the 5.3l with the 10 speed. Would it make that much of a difference? Like a real noticable difference? I don't need a race car truck by any means it just was surprising the difference in acceleration 

All other things equal, I would expect the 10 speed to be quicker, it has a slightly shorter first gear ratio and better tuning overall in my experience.

Might be a product of other equipment between the two trucks. I don’t know what model you have but if it’s a Trail Boss on duratracs vs an LT on street tires, that would make some difference between the lift and added tire weight. Rear axle ratio is another possible variable with the LT has the max trailering package.

• Like 1

Just now, OnTheReel said:

All other things equal, I would expect the 10 speed to be quicker, it has a slightly shorter first gear ratio and better tuning overall in my experience.

Might be a product of other equipment between the two trucks. I don’t know what model you have but if it’s a Trail Boss on duratracs vs an LT on street tires, that would make some difference between the lift and added tire weight. Rear axle ratio is another possible variable with the LT has the max trailering package.

Yeah i have the LT trailboss. I don't have duratracs just an all terrain. I did wonder if the added weight of the z71 suspension and stuff maybe? Ill have to re evaluate once I get my truck back to see. Like it's fast but not like this. Like I said I couldn't believe how fast it was.