SAFETY ALERT- Rear camera- READ ME

I changed this topic from upgrade to HD camera to now file your NHTSA complaint regarding the safety of the rear view camera. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I also today 5/26/2020 filed an official case with Chevy and have a case number. During my phone call i expressed my absolute concern for the safety while using this rear view camera. At night time it honestly is so ridiculously awful that i could run a person or dog over and never knew they were even behind me. this camera is absolute useless compared to my 2015. My 2015 i pretty much never used my mirrors and only used the camera cause it had such a great picture and wide spread angle on it even at night time. 

I will be updating this as i hear more from GM. They said 4 business days. 

I encourage every one of you to file a NHTSA complaint. if we file enough they have to listen. I cited the poor day time quality, and the fact that at night time you can not see anything at all. The screen is so bright that it makes your eyes adjust to where you cant actually see out your side mirrors, and then the picture on the actual camera is so white washed and poor quality you cant even see out that. I legit feel like im blindly backing up at night time 

Edited by Dersch

Agreed. I usually have to put my hand on the display otherwise I won't be able to back out of my drive way. I live in rural area and we don't have street lights so the issue is amplified. Is the HD camera dimmable or aft least dims at night?

1 minute ago, Dersch said:

I thought about making a post telling people to

This one kinda does but you might as well do a separate one.  GM sometimes monitors these boards but that doesn't mean they'll do anything (see 1000's of posts of the Chevy Shake on the old Shakerado).

5 minutes ago, cltsig said:

This one kinda does but you might as well do a separate one.  GM sometimes monitors these boards but that doesn't mean they'll do anything (see 1000's of posts of the Chevy Shake on the old Shakerado).

Imma try to call gm today and ill update 

I just filed a complaint, it is extremely dangerous to be backing in a trailer and cannot see your spotter or where your dog is at. 

You should be able to turn off the camera monitor/screen when you want. When you have a trailer hooked up, you cant use it anyway. 

I have done the T-shirt cover up just so i can see where i am going.

Edited by BlancoSilverado
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlancoSilverado said:

I just filed a complaint, it is extremely dangerous to be backing in a trailer and cannot see your spotter or where your dog is at. 

You should be able to turn off the camera monitor/screen when you want. When you have a trailer hooked up, you cant use it anyway. 

I have done the T-shirt cover up just so i can see where i am going.

Good for you. 

Im on the phone with GM right now filing my formal complaint for documentation. To be honest you are right and i even said that on my phone. The quality at night time is so bad and the screen is so bright i cant even use my mirrors that i absolutely could run over someone without knowing 

23 hours ago, Dersch said:

I don't know why some people seem to be having such a problem.  My 2019 doesn't look much different than my 2016.  I have no problems backing up at night using the backup camera.  I do have 1000 lumen LED backup lights in both vehicles, but I don't remember any issues before they were installed.

PS...Dersch didn't write this, I did.  There seems to be some kind of issue to where you can't just post a reply without quoting the OP.

23 hours ago, Dersch said:

Edited by AlaskaErik

On 5/26/2020 at 10:34 PM, AlaskaErik said:

PS...Dersch didn't write this, I did.  There seems to be some kind of issue to where you can't just post a reply without quoting the OP.

I wonder if you have the HD camera or the regular one? 

5/28 UPDATE

Spoke with GM today. they officially assigned me a support person, and we confirmed everything i already spoke about. They asked me if i confirmed with the service dept that other trucks are having this issue or if its isolated to mine. I explained be nearly impossible to do that here since its light from 630am ish to 930pm and dealers obvious arent open that late. She said they are going to reach out to the service department i guess. I told her about the forums and how others are reporting issues but she said they cant use this obviously so theyd speak to service department. I was told i will hear something back monday. Guess we will see what they say.