Can I add HD towing package after market

Hello there.  New this this forum. Nice to meet you all.  I just bought a 2017 Yukon XL SLT.  I thought the towing capacity was 8300, but now that I'm reading more it looks like around 6300 without the HD towing package. We're looking at a travel trailer that is 5050 dry weight and 600lbs toung weight.  Seems like the Yukon can handle it even with adding water, but I wonder if it worth trying to add the HD towing package?  Is there an aftermarket way to do it or do I need to go a dealer? Any idea on the upgrade cost?

Edited by awhit22

Nothing you can change or add will change the factory tow rating. It is what it is when the vehicle is built.  

Edited by elcamino

3 hours ago, elcamino said:

Nothing you can change or add will change the factory tow rating. It is what it is when the vehicle is built.  

Thanks for the response.  Not trying to add addition tow capability, but trying to get to the max capacity of 8300 tow. Everything I'm reading shows the standard tow capacity to be 6300 for the Yukon XL out of the factory, but there is/was a HD towing package option for my model and year that will upgrade a few things to handle additional weight. Larger rear axle, upgraded cooling, different spring on back, (which I think is what silveradosid mentioned above), et . Was just curious to see if that can be added after by the factory or if there is a way to add those after the fact?

Anything can be added but at what cost?   

Lager axle means the whole rear assembly will need to be replaced and brakes may not be same either so more cost.

Upgraded cooling means replace radiator and other misc parts

Different springs will also require different shockes

Could cost $5,000+ if having to buy all new GM parts......Be better off looking for another vehicle equipped like you want because you still have a 5.3L engine.

Edited by elcamino

On 5/28/2020 at 7:17 AM, elcamino said:

Anything can be added but at what cost?   

Lager axle means the whole rear assembly will need to be replaced and brakes may not be same either so more cost.

Upgraded cooling means replace radiator and other misc parts

Different springs will also require different shockes

Could cost $5,000+ if having to buy all new GM parts......Be better off looking for another vehicle equipped like you want because you still have a 5.3L engine.

Apologies for the slow response.  Thanks for clarification. Makes sense.  

• 2 months later...

So I am kinda in the same boat.  I am looking to pull a travel trailer around 5700 pounds.  I wanted to upgrade my 2018 Suburban but can't find a way to do it like other manufacturers do.  It may cost $2500-5000 dollars to do it but believe it or not, my depreciation would be more than that to trade for a newer better equipped one for.  Any suggestions o increasing capacity?  I did add an aftermarket Curt brake controller that made a world of a difference.  I have the Premier package on the vehicle, so I like all the bells and whistles of the car.  The axle ratio is the problem at 3.08.  Thank you in advance.

Its cause you have a 3.08 gear that you are limited to 6300. If you dig around on some forums there are lots of guys who tow just over that but complain that they have issues in mountains. Im sure GM put the 6300 tow rating with 3.08 gears for liability reasons and to avoid warranty repairs on rear ends and transmissions. Id do the free trans thermostat pill flip mod if you plan to tow a lot. 

• 1 month later...

I went through this and ended up trading in my perfectly fine and low mileage 2017 Suburban for a 2019 Suburban Premier Plus with the 6.2L and 10-speed. I took a huge hit, but once I priced out trying to do what you are suggesting it wasn't worth it. The other problem is that the vehicle will remain rated for what it came from the factory with. This means if you go through a weigh station and they run your VIN and find you are overloaded you could pay a huge fine and be sidelined from continuing on your way. Heaven forbid if you are in an accident with the trailer and you are over the original tow rating you could be liable for damages and fines, as well. We tow a Winnebago Minnie Plus that is around 6700# loaded and it does fine. The Max Trailering package (which gets you the full tow rating) also gives you an integrated brake controller and trailer sway control that you won't get by adding an aftermarket brake controller. Bite the bullet and get the right truck for your trailer. It is worth it in the long run.

Edited by Miami Son

• 6 months later...

How can I figure out if the car does have HD towing? I checked several VIN Decoder but they seem to tell always the same tow capacity no matter what Yukon VIN I enter.

My 2017 SLT 4WD does have a Trailer Tow Brake on the left hand side, close to the steering wheel. Is this the ultimage sign of the package? The car doesn't have a VIN sticker and so I'm completely confused about the towing capacity.
Does anyone know how to figure out with 100% confidence?

Thanks

the free online vin decoders typically just have generic info.  you need the actual vin, then go to a dealer or there is a gm email address (don't know it offhand) that you can send the vin to, and they may email back the build sheet for the vehicle.