Should I Rotate tires on used truck

I bought a Base 2015 GMC 2500HD Sierra /8’ bed 4x4 as a replacement for my truck that was totaled in a rear end collision.  

This used truck I bought has 154,000 miles on it and the car fax report just listed oil changes and inspections, some maintenance things, but no mention of tire rotations.  The PO put on LT285/70R17 Nitto A/T Terra Grappler G2 on black aluminum rims and tires have a mold code indicating 2018 manufacturing date.

My question is since I don’t have any history, should I rotate them now because there is no history.  The front brakes were resurfaced, oil/filter and air filter were changed.

At least this way I can start a record.

What are your thoughts? 

Thanks in advance!

Steve

I bought a Base 2015 GMC 2500HD Sierra /8’ bed 4x4 as a replacement for my truck that was totaled in a rear end collision.  

This used truck I bought has 154,000 miles on it and the car fax report just listed oil changes and inspections, some maintenance things, but no mention of tire rotations.  The PO put on LT285/70R17 Nitto A/T Terra Grappler G2 on black aluminum rims and tires have a mold code indicating 2018 manufacturing date.

My question is since I don’t have any history, should I rotate them now because there is no history.  The front brakes were resurfaced, oil/filter and air filter were changed.

At least this way I can start a record.

What are your thoughts? 

Thanks in advance!
Steve

I would get something to measure them and go from there. Always have the thicker ones in the back, Especially for a truck, but if you have left bigger than right move them around in a cross pattern so you have them the right way

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

For sure [emoji106] also, the Toyota tech in me ([emoji849] I know lol) recommends tires at 5/32nds, but the poor man in me says if they hold air and its not winter your good to go haha

• Like 1

Hahaha!  Thanks, I will check the depths - definitely not may-pops, they look like they have some good tread ?.  

I’m a recent GM convert - had a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 8’ bed until the powers to be decided I needed a much newer truck by way of 40+ mph rear end collision.  Life changes when you’re at a complete stop waiting to make a left turn, peaceful and quiet broken by screeching tires and sudden impact.

Thing that gets me is that I was less than a minute to my front door... ?‍♂️

You know that’s a great idea since the truck has over a 154,000 miles on it and I’m planning a long trip towards late summer/fall.  I hadn’t thought about that, what looks good by eye might well be out of spec.

Thanks for the idea!

20 minutes ago, 2500Traveller said:

You know that’s a great idea since the truck has over a 154,000 miles on it and I’m planning a long trip towards late summer/fall.  I hadn’t thought about that, what looks good by eye might well be out of spec.

Thanks for the idea!

You are very welcome.

Plus the alignment will get you more miles out of the existing tires, along with proper air pressure.

• Like 1

You are very welcome.

Plus the alignment will get you more miles out of the existing tires, along with proper air pressure.
Its funny you say that cause I hear the salesmen at the dealership say it so often its white noise is never thought to bring that up

1 hour ago, VanguardK2 said:

Its funny you say that cause I hear the salesmen at the dealership say it so often its white noise is never thought to bring that up

Yea, just a suggestion, I watch my tire pressure, alignments not as much as I used too, just because of not having the higher miles on the trucks.

Usually get it done with new tires now, unless it is showing signs of needing it.

A fresh alignment and new tires are like new shoes for a kid, truck is faster and handles better?️

• Like 1

Do mine every 5K and have since new. Balance every 10K. Absolute freak about tire pressures and alignment. Great shocks help. Currently at 118,000 miles on the these Bridgestone Dueler 684 II and at 5/32. The UTQG on this tire is 360BB. 10/32 is the new tread depth and I have 2/32 left to go to the bars. I'm convinced about proper tire care and  rotation is a huge part of that. Doubled the life of this tire. 360BB? I didn't expect that from this UTQG. Smooth. Quite. Dead even wear. 

Nokian recommends 3K-5K on rotations. These guys have been around awhile.

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Do mine every 5K and have since new. Balance every 10K. Absolute freak about tire pressures and alignment. Great shocks help. Currently at 118,000 miles on the these Bridgestone Dueler 684 II and at 5/32. The UTQG on this tire is 360BB. 10/32 is the new tread depth and I have 2/32 left to go to the bars. I'm convinced about proper tire care and  rotation is a huge part of that. Doubled the life of this tire. 360BB? I didn't expect that from this UTQG. Smooth. Quite. Dead even wear. 

Nokian recommends 3K-5K on rotations. These guys have been around awhile.

Yes sir, part of the OCI includes a tire rotation on both of our trucks (5000 miles), Chevy trucks like to eat the outside edge of the front tires if they are not in specs. 

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

In the past on my truck I have rotated every 10k. Since I am not driving it nearly as often as I used to I guess I could step up my game and do it every 5k. I am a stickler for 5k oil changes however, no matter what the oil life says. Probably would not hurt to get a look at the transmission fluid.

• Like 1