Should I Rotate tires on used truck

Great suggestions!  All appreciated ?. That’s why this is a great forum because not everyone knows everything and sometimes outside thinking brings in a lot of great ideas.

• Like 1

I would think twice about putting your best tires on the back! I was always told to put your best on the front as they do most of your braking and your steering! But if you got to rotate then do what you have too. I was always taught if you ever only replace two tire always put them on the front and the used once on the back. Take it for what its worth everybody has an opinion! 

I would think twice about putting your best tires on the back! I was always told to put your best on the front as they do most of your braking and your steering! But if you got to rotate then do what you have too. I was always taught if you ever only replace two tire always put them on the front and the used once on the back. Take it for what its worth everybody has an opinion! 

Diver6: I actually 100 percent agree with that, but my addendum to what you said is to do that in summer. In summer to keep the used on the back if you are going to replace the most worn ones (the back) sooner than the other two in the front. In winter I would say have the thicker tread in the back for traction to the 'driving wheels' 

To the rest of the forum: At my mechanic job we are just supposed to put the thickest tread on the main driving tires. If its primarily a rwd, then thicker goes in rear, and fwd, thicker goes on front, but, that's mostly to even your tires out so we can recommend all 4 when it's time to replace one (dealership/tire store tricks) and if you have an AWD then you have the two 'thicks' together front or back so it won't damage the awd system. On some AWD sedans, Subaru or audi come to mind, the awd is so tight that if the tires are crossed thick and thin on left or right side, then it can damage the transfer case or the CV joints and whatnot.

Noticed how long winded this was lol sorry but hope that's also a help to anybody who comes across this post either now or much later...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Who TF is only replacing 2 tires at a time??? If you need to to this, try:

1) rotating tires

2) stop the burnouts. Cool in HS, not so much in middle age. 

3) rotating tires

4) affording 4 tires

Well, im assuming this was towards my last past but if not, F.I. ill take a stab anyway...

Some people don't aways have money to pay for 4 damn tires at one time. Sometimes people don't have a need for all 4, just 2, because of how they wear their set of tires. Its their own truck, and they use it a certain way and they buy tires as they need.

To enlighten you on all of your own points:

1.) Obviously this thread has mostly revoloved about how to better utilize your tire treads so you AREN'T replacing them sooner than later BY rotating them. Clearly you didn't read the points, CONSTRUCTIVE points.... everybody else here decided to give the O.P.

2.) Literally nobody said anything about burnouts, but if you think everybody here is 16 and does burnouts outside the McDonald's parking lot then be my guest, just know that your wrong.

3.) See 1

4.) Think I covered this in the beginning, so by now you should get it.

Also, if this is going to be one of those classic 'oh i was kidding, it was a gag' retractions, then save it. I didn't see any comedy in this, and the blatant way this was posted when you haven't contributed previous with anything positive or helpful then just move to the next thread. Kinda sh** wasn't asked for.

1 hour ago, VanguardK2 said:

but if you think everybody here is 16 and does burnouts outside the McDonald's parking

Well, they are pretty slow at times, nobody likes cold fries, just saying.....

Opinions, butt holes, Moms, and at one point Camaros, everyone has one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VanguardK2 said:

Well, im assuming this was towards my last past but if not, F.I. ill take a stab anyway...

Some people don't aways have money to pay for 4 damn tires at one time. Sometimes people don't have a need for all 4, just 2, because of how they wear their set of tires. Its their own truck, and they use it a certain way and they buy tires as they need.

1.) Obviously this thread has mostly revoloved about how to better utilize your tire treads so you AREN'T replacing them sooner than later BY rotating them. Clearly you didn't read the points, CONSTRUCTIVE points.... everybody else here decided to give the O.P.

2.) Literally nobody said anything about burnouts, but if you think everybody here is 16 and does burnouts outside the McDonald's parking lot then be my guest, just know that your wrong.

3.) See 1

Also, if this is going to be one of those classic 'oh i was kidding, it was a gag' retractions, then save it. I didn't see any comedy in this, and the blatant way this was posted when you haven't contributed previous with anything positive or helpful then just move to the next thread. Kinda sh** wasn't asked for.

Don't let the "site" bring you down, you do this for a living, I will take your thoughts any day over the masses, but it is fun at times to try to get the last word in.

• Like 1

Thanks to all.  

I will get my tires rotated and an alignment in a few weeks, the front rotors were resurfaced by the dealership and other work prior to posting for sale and everything passed the VA state inspection to include emissions.

The oil and filter, wiper blades were replaced before I bought the truck.  I will check the transmission fluid.  Brake and radiator fluid is clean, not dark or fouled.

A lot of good positive ideas being passed here, myself and others appreciate them.  As stated before I didn’t have a binder dedicated to maintenance of my last truck.  

This will provide a good baseline since this is a used truck with little recorded maintenance.  For all I know the PO might have done all of his periodic maintenance by the book, but without positive evidence or receipts I can’t assume everything was done timely.

Many thanks again for something that might be “common knowledge” but this is a big untimely investment for me and I wanted to start the maintenance and record keeping the right way with this truck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2500Traveller said:

Thanks to all.  

I will get my tires rotated and an alignment in a few weeks, the front rotors were resurfaced by the dealership and other work prior to posting for sale and everything passed the VA state inspection to include emissions.

The oil and filter, wiper blades were replaced before I bought the truck.  I will check the transmission fluid.  Brake and radiator fluid is clean, not dark or fouled.

A lot of good positive ideas being passed here, myself and others appreciate them.  As stated before I didn’t have a binder dedicated to maintenance of my last truck.  

This will provide a good baseline since this is a used truck with little recorded maintenance.  For all I know the PO might have done all of his periodic maintenance by the book, but without positive evidence or receipts I can’t assume everything was done timely.

Many thanks again for something that might be “common knowledge” but this is a big untimely investment for me and I wanted to start the maintenance and record keeping the right way with this truck.

In case no one said it, Congratulations on your new to you truck!

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2020 at 10:47 PM, VanguardK2 said:

3.) See 1

Nothing you posted was enlightening, only dimming. 

If tires are wearing that differently fore and aft, one is 1) not rotating them or 2) doing the burnouts. (Hence the burnout item I mentioned). Rotations equalize the normal wear and tear. If a sent of 4 tires is too expensive for a K2 owner/renter then maybe, just maybe, they’re driving the wrong vehicle.  If vehicle maintenance is make or break, there are larger problems. 

I wasn’t kidding or joking so save your wannabe attitude. When tires wear differently, you rotate them. End of conversation. 

In the past I used to routinely rotate my tires in the recommended criss cross pattern but I always noticed afterwards the vehicle would either pull to the left or right and/or tires would act out of balance and so on. Never had any luck with that method. Now I rotate them front to back same side when their about half worn down and I still get excellent life out of them with no funny business.

Good to know.  I aired up my tires cold to correct psi and it drifts to one side.  As this is a used truck, I don’t know how often the PO rotated the tires, or when they were purchased.  They are within tread limits.  So I will take the truck into get the tires balanced and an alignment.  I will ask if they should be rotated as I have no history and get their guidance.