In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Lactoes

What should I do with these wheels?

I have a 2014 Yukon XL with a cosmetic issue on the stock wheels. They’re 20” 6 x 5.5.

I’ve had the vehicle just short of two years, and about 8 months into owning it the ‘chrome’ on the wheels starting coming off and it's only getting worse. It's bad on 2 wheels, decent on the other 2. GM is not interested in helping (besides selling me new wheels) this since it’s way out of warranty. I’m looking at a couple of different solutions. FWIW, this is a family car - not looking to pimp my ride. A subtle, stock look is preferred.

1. Remove these wheels and have them blasted and powder coated. Not sure it would look right. They don't have a shiny chrome option, but do have a polished metal / pewter color and black (glossy or matte). Thoughts? Probably run me $500, but I'd also have to pay for shop dismount/remount and be without the vehicle for a few days.

2. Buy new wheels. Need some advice here - never swapped wheels before. 
    1. What if find a 6 lug set but the spacing is different? Is there an adapter I could get? 
    2. Same with different lug count - is there  an adapter? (And are these safe?) 
    3. What about the center cap for Chevy vs. GMC if I find a Chevy wheel set that works? Can I do an even swap these caps?
    4. Wheel size - anything that would look weird or otherwise not physically fit with the Yukon? 22” should work right?

Any other options I should consider? (Don't say PlastiDip haha...)

Thanks.

IMG_2006.jpeg

If it's just a family vehicle, you may be able to find similar wheels on craigslist pretty cheap and then sell yours on craigslist to recoup some of the money.FWIW the 6 x 5.5 bolt pattern is very common. You shouldn't have to do anything if at all for different wheels.

Discount tire or similar store will have many options.

Powder coat will be the cheapest i would think.

:)

Posted (edited)

Hit up the for sale section here or Facebook Marketplace, eBay, Craigslist and look for takeoff wheels.  This will ensure you will find a factory wheel that you know will fit without any funny business.  Anything from 2007-2020 truck or SUV will fit so Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/YukonXL/Escalade.  These guys sell quality reproductions too if that might be more what you want:  https://www.oewheelsllc.com/

Don't take this wrong, but that doesn't look normal.  How and what do you wash the wheels with?  To me, that looks more like a chemically induced issue.  Only reason I say this is because it started doing it during the first 8 months of your two years of ownership.  Now, it could have been from the previous owner using something they shouldn't have on them too.      

Edited by newdude

Thanks all. I've been looking for takeoffs, but haven't found anything yet. Sounds like that's the best way to go for me. Fortunately I can wait it out.

I'd still like to know if that center cap can be swapped if I find a Chevy set that is otherwise a match?

8 hours ago, newdude said:

Don't take this wrong, but that doesn't look normal.  How and what do you wash the wheels with?  To me, that looks more like a chemically induced issue. 

I thought the same thing. No chemicals. The only thing I can think of is that I took the Yukon to a brand new car wash twice shortly after I got it. My best guess if they hadn't dialed in their pressure and it blasted the wheels.