Radio issues - radio at full volume when starting

Hey everyone

Is anyone having an issue where when you go to start up the truck your radio volume is at full volume and you’re not able to turn it down until the truck cycles through the start up sequence. Once the start up sequence goes through it’s process it returns to the volume it was at when the truck was turned off. I’ve had my truck since September and have taken it in 4 times now, and every time I pick it up from service they tell me “GM is aware of the issue but doesn’t have a solution”. 

It doesn’t happen every time I start up my truck, but rather randomly. It’s happened at least 50 times since I took it in at 3400 miles.  I started a buy back case with GM and during the buy back process, it happened 10 times over the course of 3 weeks. I found out after the 3 weeks that they denied the claim despite me sending the woman helping me (Susan) 8 separate emails with videos of my trucks radio doing what it’s been doing since November. They denied my claim, but offered no reason why it was denied. 

One of the main reasons this is such an issue is because we use my truck to transport my family, and my 6 month old daughter doesn’t take kindly to full volume rock radio when she’s sleeping. 

Anyone having this same issue?

On 6/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, SoCalDuck said:

Hey everyone

Is anyone having an issue where when you go to start up the truck your radio volume is at full volume and you’re not able to turn it down until the truck cycles through the start up sequence. Once the start up sequence goes through it’s process it returns to the volume it was at when the truck was turned off. I’ve had my truck since September and have taken it in 4 times now, and every time I pick it up from service they tell me “GM is aware of the issue but doesn’t have a solution”. 

It doesn’t happen every time I start up my truck, but rather randomly. It’s happened at least 50 times since I took it in at 3400 miles.  I started a buy back case with GM and during the buy back process, it happened 10 times over the course of 3 weeks. I found out after the 3 weeks that they denied the claim despite me sending the woman helping me (Susan) 8 separate emails with videos of my trucks radio doing what it’s been doing since November. They denied my claim, but offered no reason why it was denied. 

One of the main reasons this is such an issue is because we use my truck to transport my family, and my 6 month old daughter doesn’t take kindly to full volume rock radio when she’s sleeping. 

Anyone having this same issue?

+1

I get this from time to time.  I will start the truck and it will be on and then turn off a few seconds later.  I have used the settings to make sure the volume is at zero every time that I start the truck.  The volume being on probably happens once a week or so.  All the other times it is at zero.  I just looked at my build sheet and I have an "IOT" radio.

We recommend reaching out to your dealership to further discuss these concerns. If you would like assistance connecting with them, we are here to help. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN: Forum Username/ GM Trucks with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC.

Aleigha W. 

@GMCustomerService I have gone to the dealership, 4 times now. Unfortunately I can’t upload a video to show everyone the issues I’ve been having since November. It is currently still in service (going on 2 weeks now). The dealership replaced the radio with one from a 2020 Silverado, and the new radio isn’t working with the truck. They said they’re replacing the radio again with another one. 

I’m very disappointed in GM and their customer service, especially the woman I dealt with - Susan. My truck is not only my family hauler, but the most important tool I have as I’m in construction. I can’t depend on my truck as it’s been in service for over a month within the first year, and I won’t put my 6 month old daughter in the truck until I start it since I don’t know when I’m going to have the radio at full volume and not be able to turn it down. Not only am I having issues with the radio, I’m having transmission issues, which is another reason it’s in for service. I’ve waited almost a year, taken my truck in for the same issue 4 times, started a buyback with GM and been denied even though I sent GM 6 videos of the issue happening. All of this happened so the dealership can FINALLY get authorization from GM to replace the radio with one that doesn’t work. Excellent work everyone, $50,000 well spent. 

I had this issue also and I believe I know how to fix it! (At least I did for my truck - 2019 High Country w/ technology package)

have you created a “profile” on your truck radio? I did, and before that profile could load the volume would sometimes be at full blast. Once I deleted the profile (I’m the only one who drives the truck anyway) it’s never happened to me. Hope this helps your situation! 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, cmmeadows87 said:

I had this issue also and I believe I know how to fix it! (At least I did for my truck - 2019 High Country w/ technology package)

have you created a “profile” on your truck radio? I did, and before that profile could load the volume would sometimes be at full blast. Once I deleted the profile (I’m the only one who drives the truck anyway) it’s never happened to me. Hope this helps your situation! 

This makes sense. Question. If you set the "non profile" settings then "re sync" your profile, (so the same settings are on both) it should not do this again right?

• 4 months later...

Since GM seems to offer zero solutions, what seems to have resolved our maximum volume problem is — checking or replacing your BATTERY. We noticed this cranked up

volume issue coincided with our problems about 30 minutes later starting our 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. The “factory reset” of the radio suggested on another site failed. So—we changed the battery the same day and—we have NO volume control issues at all now. Thankfully—since we were without tools, the O’Reilly Auto Parts store near us had our battery in stock (pricey at $200), BUT their staff tackled the complex and tedious battery change for us. ‘Hope this helps some of you folks.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, cmmeadows87 said:

I agree this might have something to do with it.  My wife just created a profile for the second set of keys and since this issue is common.  Its volume and station.  The station changes after it goes through the boot up cycle.  

• 7 months later...

My  2020 gmc 2500hd just started doing the same thing. GM customer service and every dealer i talked to "has never heard of this problem" . They are full of ****** and useless. i guess only the people on the forums know anything about it.Hey General motors, your Chinese ****** doesn't work.,,,The radio also doesn't shut off when you open the door after you turn the truck off.