Timbren SES

I'm kinda stuck folks. Trying to remove my factory bump stomps to install some Timbrens in the rear of my truck. I live in road salt country, I've just about rounded off the heads of the 10mm OEM bolts. Tried soaking them in PB Blaster, using a 3/8 sock after the 10 started to slip, and then a set of spline sockets that haven't worked either. Have not tried heat or drilling yet.

So I called the local shop I bought the kit from to swallow my pride and just pay the$130 they quoted me to install in the first place. They tell me it doesn't sound like something they could handle now, talked about the cutting and torches and how it's beyond them. On one hand, i'm glad they didn't just take it back and mess around with something they knew they couldn't fix, but on the other hand, what would they have done if they had rounded the heads off instead of me? They offered to refund my purchase, but in another brilliant move, I cut the bump stop out of the way on the passenger side to see what i was working with, so something has to go on, might as well be the Timbrens.

Maybe one day i'll learn I have many other talents and have little to no business turning wrenches and just pay somebody that knows what theyre doing!

We've all been there man.   This is how you learn.  If you're interested in doing your own work keep trying and you'll feel great when finally figured it out.    If not, just pay someone right from the start.

Edited by m3n00b

I remember getting a bolt off a gas tank on an old 95 Isuzu by hammering a open end of a wrench onto the rounded bolt and then smacking the side to turn it but that was super extreme case of needing the tank, having 20 minutes to the part yard closing and then just dumb luck. That entire process is not something I would ever recommend. Just saying anything can be done with almost nothing and once you get what you need done its a learning experience as the first responder said also.

Im curious how the timbrens work out. Good luck man [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, tek6029 said:

I'm kinda stuck folks. Trying to remove my factory bump stomps to install some Timbrens in the rear of my truck. I live in road salt country, I've just about rounded off the heads of the 10mm OEM bolts. Tried soaking them in PB Blaster, using a 3/8 sock after the 10 started to slip, and then a set of spline sockets that haven't worked either. Have not tried heat or drilling yet.

So I called the local shop I bought the kit from to swallow my pride and just pay the$130 they quoted me to install in the first place. They tell me it doesn't sound like something they could handle now, talked about the cutting and torches and how it's beyond them. On one hand, i'm glad they didn't just take it back and mess around with something they knew they couldn't fix, but on the other hand, what would they have done if they had rounded the heads off instead of me? They offered to refund my purchase, but in another brilliant move, I cut the bump stop out of the way on the passenger side to see what i was working with, so something has to go on, might as well be the Timbrens.

Maybe one day i'll learn I have many other talents and have little to no business turning wrenches and just pay somebody that knows what theyre doing!

Take a picture of what you are working with and post it, maybe you can take a cut off wheel and make a notch (think standard screwdriver) and make some progress.

Edited by JimCost2014

The offending bolt, with bump stop cut away for access. Threads directly into boxed section of frame, with an access hole right next to thread thats only purpose seems to be to collect sand and salt!

20200628_151006.jpg

26 minutes ago, tek6029 said:

The offending bolt, with bump stop cut away for access. Threads directly into boxed section of frame, with an access hole right next to thread thats only purpose seems to be to collect sand and salt!

20200628_151006.jpg

Looks like it is out far enough to put a set of Vise Grips on and turn very carefully. 

GOT IT!

Been spraying it with PB blaster a couple times a day.  Put a torch to it for maybe a minute or 2. Banged on the head and the bump stop rested a couple times, then pounded on a good old fashioned 6 point 3/8 inch socket, with an adapter to mg 1/2 inch drive breaker bar.  All went smoothly from there. Getting at the other side in the morning!

On 6/27/2020 at 7:29 PM, m3n00b said:

We've all been there man.   This is how you learn.  If you're interested in doing your own work keep trying and you'll feel great when finally figured it out.    If not, just pay someone right from the start.

Brother, you ain't kidding about feeling great now!

20200628_205751.jpg

• Like 1