Vinyl wrap on Denali chrome pieces?

20 hours ago, kodiakdenali said:

I did it all on the truck, I haven't tried taking them off yet.

The grill was the hardest part, I took the upper plastic piece off under the hood and after a bunch of work was able to pull a drop cloth behind the grill. its easy to get it between the shutters and the radiator, but I didn't want the shutters to get all covered in plastidip over spray either. its a tight fit, buy I Was able to mask it pretty well and did everything on the truck.

20201203 101110 6378.jpg

That turned out really good.  If you take care of plasti-dip, which is literally just cleaning it lol, it will last a really long time.  Its all about the prep and paint stage, along with number of coats.  The biggest plus for plasti-dip is touch-ups are a breeze!!! 

thanks!

I saw advice somewhere about using spray touchup wax (turtle wax ice spray wax specifically) can help protect plastidip to make it more durable. it definitely feels better with  some spray wax on it. less sticky, less rubbery. one of my concerns is foreign objects, like bugs in the summer, embedding themselves in the relatively soft surface and becoming impossible to clean. if that happens plan B will have to happen quickly. until then, it looks way better than chrome so I'll go with it!

18 hours ago, kodiakdenali said:

thanks!

I saw advice somewhere about using spray touchup wax (turtle wax ice spray wax specifically) can help protect plastidip to make it more durable. it definitely feels better with  some spray wax on it. less sticky, less rubbery. one of my concerns is foreign objects, like bugs in the summer, embedding themselves in the relatively soft surface and becoming impossible to clean. if that happens plan B will have to happen quickly. until then, it looks way better than chrome so I'll go with it!

if you have coated it enough bugs come off rather easily.  You could also add the top clearcoat, it helps and makes it less "rubber" feel.  I've done enough of it that it comes down to how many coats and how you applied it to create the proper look and feel.  Obviously it will never look like paint, but for a high chip zone like the grille, plasti-dip is great on an vehicle just because of the ease you can fix it.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, kodiakdenali said:

I did it all on the truck, I haven't tried taking them off yet.

The grill was the hardest part, I took the upper plastic piece off under the hood and after a bunch of work was able to pull a drop cloth behind the grill. its easy to get it between the shutters and the radiator, but I didn't want the shutters to get all covered in plastidip over spray either. its a tight fit, buy I Was able to mask it pretty well and did everything on the truck.

20201203 101110 6378.jpg

Great info!  I'm planning to Hyperdip (Piano Black) my grille and use vinyl on my running boards.  A lot of my truck was blacked out with vinyl from the dealer, including the grille perimeter, but now I need to finish the job.  Grille, running boards, door handles, and all logos are on my to do list.

How many cans of Plasti Dip did you use on this grille? 

Did you have to do a seam on your running board vinyl?

7 hours ago, Ewan Whatarmy said:

Great info!  I'm planning to Hyperdip (Piano Black) my grille and use vinyl on my running boards.  A lot of my truck was blacked out with vinyl from the dealer, including the grille perimeter, but now I need to finish the job.  Grille, running boards, door handles, and all logos are on my to do list.

How many cans of Plasti Dip did you use on this grille? 

Did you have to do a seam on your running board vinyl?

not exactly sure how many cans I went through, I bought a wheel kit on Amazon to do the job, but I didn't even use all of it. it had 4 black and 3 metalizer.

I did do a seam on one of the steps, but I should redo that side eventually. although you really have to look to see it so I haven't been terribly motivated do it again. the second side I used only a single piece of vinyl.

2 hours ago, Ewan Whatarmy said:

Thanks man, I'll post picture after I tackle this.  Might wait a bit for the weather to warm up first.

I hear ya! I just finished my gauge pod install running wires through the firewall when it was 19 out. wire harnesses get awfully hard to work with when its that cold! vinyl is the same way, it will be more likely to tear than to stretch.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied 3 cans of Hyperdip to the grille and badges and overall it turned out pretty nice.  With the piano black gloss I wish I had at least one more can to spray additional coats because there are some small variations in sheen on the grille.  You have to look close to see them but I'm thinking about buying a few more cans to continue spraying.

IMG_1650.heic IMG_1649.heic IMG_1647.heic IMG_1646.heic

1 hour ago, Ewan Whatarmy said:

I applied 3 cans of Hyperdip to the grille and badges and overall it turned out pretty nice.  With the piano black gloss I wish I had at least one more can to spray additional coats because there are some small variations in sheen on the grille.  You have to look close to see them but I'm thinking about buying a few more cans to continue spraying.

IMG_1650.heic 2.34 MB · 3 downloads IMG_1649.heic 1.69 MB · 2 downloads IMG_1647.heic 1.76 MB · 1 download IMG_1646.heic 1.66 MB · 1 download

image.thumb.png.da9d19e9077be90176cbd4c5063b59f5.pngimage.thumb.png.5f59dfa523d94251f1c7c0339792f81d.pngimage.thumb.png.32573388528365a81b829f1b8039d4c2.png

Just posting the pics a different way.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ewan Whatarmy said:

image.thumb.png.da9d19e9077be90176cbd4c5063b59f5.pngimage.thumb.png.5f59dfa523d94251f1c7c0339792f81d.pngimage.thumb.png.32573388528365a81b829f1b8039d4c2.png

Just posting the pics a different way.

Wow you did a great job!!! That looks awesome! I did the same thing with the grill but wasn’t happy how it came out so I took it to my nearby paint shop. They did a much better job lol

CEBA9A6E-1EDA-46DA-A4D1-EFE7B3A2DF63.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Ewan Whatarmy said:

@Jake rome Your's looks great too!  Just curious, what issues did you run into when you did it yourself.  Did you use Hyperdip?  Your paint job certainly is nice and glossy which isn't possible with peelable spray.

I used the plasti dip in a can. I could not stop it from bubbling and sticking together in the tight spots. Every time I let it dry I would find little imperfections and when I tried to fix it I made it worse. I finally gave up and just had it all painted. Now everything is black even the tow hooks and exhaust