Just out of curiosity what is everyone getting on their data speed for the "4G" Wi-Fi Onstar boasts about. After 3 consecutive tests back to back I got 2.45 mbps download speed (highest). That explains why I've always had slow wifi speed. I'm starting to question if the added monthly cost is worth it. If you Google wifi speed test you'll see the first option with a button to test. Make sure you're using your trucks wifi for this. Feel free to post your results. I'm sure it'll help those who are considering either buying the service or cancel their current service. e15bc85d772124fab324f9d85627c5db.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity what is everyone getting on their data speed for the "4G" Wi-Fi Onstar boasts about. After 3 consecutive tests back to back I got 2.45 mbps download speed (highest). That explains why I've always had slow wifi speed. I'm starting to question if the added monthly cost is worth it. If you Google wifi speed test you'll see the first option with a button to test. Make sure you're using your trucks wifi for this. Feel free to post your results. I'm sure it'll help those who are considering either buying the service or cancel their current service. e15bc85d772124fab324f9d85627c5db.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Same issue here. I’ve about decided to shut it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The speed just depends how busy the network is. The onstar data package is considered prepaid service so your not going to get the same service as post paid att customers. Onstar data gets de prioritized based on network traffic.

• Like 1

If you setup the hotspot through AT&T directly instead of OnStar you will get full speed. Run my laptop around 20-40mbps.

Great info. Never knew that could be done.

I had my wifi through att for a while.  My checked my speeds when I was in a good cell signal range.  My speeds over wifi were similar to what was posted by the OP.  My speeds on my cell without the wifi were around 112mbs down and around 10mbs up.  I contacted Onstar about rebooting my wifi.  They sent some signal to my vehicle that "supposedly" rebooted the wifi router.  No real improvement.  I cancelled my att service for the truck.  I did get the free Onstar data plan they were just offering.  Checked my speeds again and still the same slow throughput.  

Does anyone know which fuse the router is on?  I think a full reboot of the system may help.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 6.2L Ltz and had unlimited data plan through wireless carrier AT&T and got around the same speeds as the original poster, 2.5-3 Mbps. Did the reset and everything through OnStar and no improvement. Phone hotspot is obvious way to go at that point. $20 a month for unlimited seemed very fair if data speeds were similar to cellular speeds considering we are getting 80-120 Mbps through cellular 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 7/19/2020 at 9:15 PM, jqcitizen said:

If you setup the hotspot through AT&T directly instead of OnStar you will get full speed. Run my laptop around 20-40mbps.

How would I set up with AT&T? (I assume that means OnStar uses the AT&T network, I didn't know that.)

I let our service lapse after the initial trial because it didn't seem to be worth the $25 or per month, when everyone in the fam has cell data. (My T-Mobile cellphone hotspot is very slow, however (<1M) so not good enough to run a laptop. Very frustrating. Technology, my A$$!) 

This may be a little off topic so I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I am curious about the wifi speed. 

I had the 3 month trial with the onstar wifi but I never had it cancelled after 3 months because I never used it. Now I am travelling a good bit for work and sometimes need to pull over at an exit off the interstate to respond to an email or do something from my laptop. Sometimes the hotspot on my phone is very weak and makes it nearly impossible to send an email. Is the wifi strong enough to do some work on a laptop or use the wifi for carplay to use google maps or Waze? I use Waze almost everytime I'm on the interstate and its using a ton of my data. Would it be worth it to me to get the onstar wifi back? 

The Onstar wifi in your truck uses a cellular modem to connect to a ATT LTE.  Your truck also has a router to send the internet signal over wifi to whatever you connect to it.  After the 3 months trial, your ATT data plan was discontinued.  If you connect your laptop to your truck wifi now, you will get nothing.  

In THEORY, your truck will get a better cellular signal than your phone will.  If you get a data plan with ATT, then you MAY have a signal in the truck when your phone has a weak signal.  There are different data plans, I think, so you could use up all of your data plan using Waze.  Waze is data intensive because it is sending your location to the cloud in real time.  Do you need to use Waze?  Are you using it for navigation, or are you always letting others know where you are when you are driving?  

On 3/14/2022 at 11:29 AM, DEA said:

How would I set up with AT&T? (I assume that means OnStar uses the AT&T network, I didn't know that.)

I let our service lapse after the initial trial because it didn't seem to be worth the $25 or per month, when everyone in the fam has cell data. 

If your cell phone is AT&T, just call OnStar (blue button) and the will set it up for you. Saves you $5 a month. You will need your AT&T PIN.