You have $1500. What mods do you do?

Hey all, 

I’ve had my 2019 RST Z71 5.3L for about 1.5 years now. I’m getting the itch to trade into something newer with LTZ-level options (read: ventilated seats and 360 camera package) and the 6.2L / 10spd. (HC or AT4 since I don’t like the chrome)

However, after joy riding a new 2021 Tahoe the other day with the new interior, I really want to be patient and wait another year to see what the 2022 truck interiors look like. Then, if there’s no material changes, I’ll likely jump to a ‘21 Tahoe. 

Anyway... one way I’ve figured I can stay patient for another year is spend $1500 now vs trading for a 2020 truck and then a 2022 later. Cheaper, right? And I enjoy the truck more as I wait. 

So the 3 things I’ve really been wanting to do are: 

1. Borla or GM Performance exhaust + maybe CAI if I can $queeze it. 

2. 4 new Bilsteins and leveling the front a little with them + 285 Toyo OC3 or KO2s to replace my Trailrunner ATs. 
3. Add a BAK X4 revolver bed cover 

Each of these is around $1500 - give or take a few hundred. 

What say you other enthusiasts here? Any other ideas on how to spend my money or which of the 3 above you would choose?

2 hours ago, econometrics said:

Hey all, 

I’ve had my 2019 RST Z71 5.3L for about 1.5 years now. I’m getting the itch to trade into something newer with LTZ-level options (read: ventilated seats and 360 camera package) and the 6.2L / 10spd. (HC or AT4 since I don’t like the chrome)

However, after joy riding a new 2021 Tahoe the other day with the new interior, I really want to be patient and wait another year to see what the 2022 truck interiors look like. Then, if there’s no material changes, I’ll likely jump to a ‘21 Tahoe. 

Anyway... one way I’ve figured I can stay patient for another year is spend $1500 now vs trading for a 2020 truck and then a 2022 later. Cheaper, right? And I enjoy the truck more as I wait. 

So the 3 things I’ve really been wanting to do are: 

1. Borla or GM Performance exhaust + maybe CAI if I can $queeze it. 

2. 4 new Bilsteins and leveling the front a little with them + 285 Toyo OC3 or KO2s to replace my Trailrunner ATs. 
3. Add a BAK X4 revolver bed cover 

Each of these is around $1500 - give or take a few hundred. 

What say you other enthusiasts here? Any other ideas on how to spend my money or which of the 3 above you would choose?

If I’m trading the truck in I honestly would probably skip the the shocks and new tires and “rough it” with stock. 

For me, tinted windows and spray in bedliner are important. Next would be bedcover.

Then when trading in for Tahoe, take the bed cover off and sell it separately to recoup some easy cash. Or if you end up with new pickup you can transfer it on that. 

you won’t get any (or little) value with the shocks/tires trading in 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Duramax3oh said:

For me, tinted windows and spray in bedliner are important. Next would be bedcover.

Then when trading in for Tahoe, take the bed cover off and sell it separately to recoup some easy cash. Or if you end up with new pickup you can transfer it on that. 

you won’t get any (or little) value with the shocks/tires trading in 

Thanks! Good input. 

I already have the bedliner and tint, so yeah... this is the “next steps” mods stuff here. 

Tinted windows and wheels are the first things I put on my truck or any of my vehicles. Since you have tint, then I would get an exhaust system and CAI.  Two things these trucks need to breathe and run better.  I am not a fan of GM's stock exhaust and the flappers. Restricts too much air flow 

Good luck 

• Like 1

I have the Bak Revolver x4 and it's a nice tonneau. But I think I would get more enjoyment out of the Borla s-type and CAI. I would try to purchase parts that can be transferred over to the new truck.

Edited by Unknown_eyes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Unknown_eyes said:

I have the Bak Revolver x4 and it's a nice tonneau. But I think I would get more enjoyment out of the Borla s-type and CAI. I would try to purchase parts that can be transferred over to the new truck.

Yeah, I've given this some thought over the past few days. I've realized I have gone a year without a tonneau and haven't really noticed it. If anything, I'll just get a decent $250-$300 roll-up. I had that on my 2007 Silverado for 12 years and it worked well. 

I'm going to do the catback, for sure. If I trade in for a refreshed 2022, I'm sure I could take my exhaust system over with me. I doubt the truck will change underneath on those, and I'm planning on keeping my OEM exhaust so I could do just this in a couple of years. 

Just got off the phone with the local Chevy dealer to do the GMPE catback. I'll probably get it installed next week. ? 

If you do get a 6.2 the next time around, the exhaust won’t transfer over, diameter is different. But I still think you’re making the right call. Exhaust makes the biggest difference in the whole experience. Adds a small bit of power but the sound is the best.

The X4 is decent but it’s the one thing I may NOT transfer over to the 2022 I’ve already traded in for mentally. May go to the Retrax.

• Thanks 1

I have a 6.2 with the GMP CAI and exhaust. I'm currently in the middle of a cross country relocation with my truck. I love the sound and factory supported boost in power. It's definitely worth the money to get these.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, I’m now realizing I need (read: strongly want) a CAI. 

I’m on the fence between a Rotofab or the GM OEM CAI. I’m going to install it myself, but the comfort of knowing my dealer won’t pull any tricks with the GM CAI installed if I needed some warranty work is a bit of a bonus. 

The downside is that it seems the GM CAI doesn’t have near the claimed performance gains as the Rotofab. 

I just put on my Corsa Exhaust last night and what a difference in driving. The truck is more alive now without those obnoxious flappers. When my father and I were cutting out the stock exhaust, I looked at them and I can't believe the restriction they have on the exhaust flow. What a cheesy design. 

This Corsa exhaust has more of a sports car/suv sound. I like it and there is ZERO drone cruising down the highway. I had all windows down and radio off and all I could hear where the slightest noise of my Bridgestone tires.

Now I am still waiting on S & B intake. Been over 2 months. I told them they should send me another replaceable dry cotton filter as customer courtesy, got email back from head manager and they are making it tomorrow??  We shall see. 

• Like 1

I assume there are no payments otherwise adding equity is the best mod with exceptional long term benefits. If there is nothing owing,  I would check out my local automotive audio/video specialty shop and see how close you can come to 360 viewing. Just a front grill camera addition will enhance your driving experience!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Just a front grill camera addition will enhance your driving experience!

Really agree. We moved into a home with a pretty inclined driveway a few months ago. Whenever I go down to leave the house, with the big ole front grill on the Silverado, it's super hard to see. Scares me a little with us having young kids. A front camera would really add some peace of mind. 

Not to mention, using that front camera when parking. I always feel like I'm SO close when I'm nudging forward to park the truck. Then I jump out, and find I have like 6" of margin left. ? ? 

• Like 1