Ride Quality Help

Hi guys, I can't take it any more.  I have had trucks all of my life...mostly Japanese models.  I am in a 2019 sierra elevation right now.

This is my first GM since 2006 and it is so bouncy it is driving me crazy.  The roads where I live are crappy and the truck wants to bouncy me into the roof over every bump. An is un-controlable when I take a corner with bumps.  My old trucks never rode like this.  I have had it for a year and will probably keep it for another two, till the waranty is up.

I used to always run bilstien shocks in my trucks.  Have people switched out their ranchos for other shocks? Does it help?

I am honestly thinking of getting rid of this truck but there are things I do like about it so I will keep it if I can fix the ride issue.

Please help!!!

8 hours ago, Grey Jay said:

Hi guys, I can't take it any more.  I have had trucks all of my life...mostly Japanese models.  I am in a 2019 sierra elevation right now.

This is my first GM since 2006 and it is so bouncy it is driving me crazy.  The roads where I live are crappy and the truck wants to bouncy me into the roof over every bump. An is un-controlable when I take a corner with bumps.  My old trucks never rode like this.  I have had it for a year and will probably keep it for another two, till the waranty is up.

I used to always run bilstien shocks in my trucks.  Have people switched out their ranchos for other shocks? Does it help?

I am honestly thinking of getting rid of this truck but there are things I do like about it so I will keep it if I can fix the ride issue.

Please help!!!

31 minutes ago, Maven said:

I would hope people chime in, but I know there are guys who have switched to bilsteins. I'm considering it myself.  Truck wags side to side too much over uneven roads.

There is a thread in the mod section about the bilstein 5100s. Go read it. 

I just swapped my rear shocks last week and it made a very noticeable difference. In a very good way.

If you want a much better ride, get front and rear bilstein 5100s. Im happy with just the rear being done. 

I swapped my rear shocks in about 15 minutes, no jacks required. Just 21 mm socket and wrench. 

The fronts are a bit more time consuming. 

12 hours ago, Grey Jay said:

Please help!!!

So, I am not trying to start a fight or sound condescending, but you have a truck that is designed to tow, guessing around 10,000 pounds, and haul in the bed around a 1000 pounds.

How do you think a Corvette, or a high end luxury sedan would ride comfort wise if they had the same capabilities?  

Look at the diesel wars between the brands, HP, torque numbers are getting out of hand compared to just 20 years ago, and look what they they say you can tow and haul, look at the numbers your truck can do compared to the Japanese trucks your are referencing, and the weight of the trucks.

The suspension has to be stiffer with each run to achieve the numbers consumers want on towing and loads in the bed.

Go drive the competition, see how they ride (similar models) and see how they feel, then make the best choice for you.

12 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Going around a corner at speed with bumps on a vehicle with a rear sway bar is going to act different on a vehicle without a rear sway bar.

It's why I mentioned it. Just something to think about.

A sway bar helps with cornering and helps keep the vehicle from rolling as much. It does nothing to help when you're taking a corner while running over bumps. 

All trucks suck at keeping the rear end under control when going over bumps and taking a turn.

10 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

So, I am not trying to start a fight or sound condescending, but you have a truck that is designed to tow, guessing around 10,000 pounds, and haul in the bed around a 1000 pounds.

How do you think a Corvette, or a high end luxury sedan would ride comfort wise if they had the same capabilities?  

Look at the diesel wars between the brands, HP, torque numbers are getting out of hand compared to just 20 years ago, and look what they they say you can tow and haul, look at the numbers your truck can do compared to the Japanese trucks your are referencing, and the weight of the trucks.

The suspension has to be stiffer with each run to achieve the numbers consumers want on towing and loads in the bed.

Go drive the competition, see how they ride (similar models) and see how they feel, then make the best choice for you.

These trucks have soft suspensions. Not firm, which is we what we want. 

If our trucks were made for towing then we'd have a firmer setup. Yes I know there is a max tow package but even that has a soft setup. 

GM can say all they want about how much these trucks can tow but they chose the wrong shocks to state this. 

Even driving off road as much as I do. These shocks are complete garbage. My rear end feels way more planted with the bilstein 5100s on the rear. 

• Like 1

Stock shocks are way too soft especially with heavy tires on the truck. I have Eibach E60-23-032-01-10 in front set to mid- lift setting with 2 inch leveling kit for about 3-1/4 inch front lift. These are not soft shocks, but handle the larger heavier tires beautifully. I have the Rancho RS999198 adjustables on the rear and  I played around with them while unloaded, while towing our jet skis and on Home Depot runs. Set to 1 is too soft especially with heavier 62 pound 10 ply tires so 2 or 3 really the minimum. Set to 8 pr 9 makes them ride like rocks empty but nice with 1000 pounds in the back. 5 in is a nice compromise so I don't have to crawl under and change the settings and is where I now just leave them. I have 2 inch blocks on the rear so I added extensions to cover that.