Rear Window Shattered

Am I the first person to experience this?  I have a 2019 that mostly sits in the garage.  bought it about 11 months ago, only has 9k miles.

Just noticed the passenger site rear window shattered in the past couple of days.  The only thing I can think of is that I opened the electric rear window when I drove it on Sunday; myChev indicates I've driven the truck 12 miles between 9/27/20 and 10/8/20 .

is this a known issue, recall, warranty?

PassengerRearWindow.jpg

Edited by DanPFW

Never seen that before here, but 9 times out of ten something hits it and shatters, I know it's hard to do that to back windows but I've seen many rear windows shatter for no reason just to find out it was hit just right by a stone, odd but happens. Did you flex the truck in any way? Maybe a twist did it? 

The only thought I've come up with is that one of my children closed the door too hard.  I've never noticed any damage to the glass prior.  I haven't put the truck through any strenuous activity recently.  The most would be pulling an 18' boat a couple of miles, twice a year, or a 10' snowmobile trailer.

Edited by DanPFW

Did you experience any weather in your area that drastically and suddenly changed? I've seen windows shatter while a car was just sitting due to a rapidly incoming storm. Granted, this normally occurred with larger side windows that were on minivans and Suburbans, but it could happen to smaller windows, too. I worked in the rental car industry for several years long ago. This typically happened in our overflow lot at the airport, which had no buildings to nearby to buffer the wind.

Another possibility could be taking a hot truck through a cold carwash. The sudden temperature change would crack windshields with no prior damage like rock chips. I use to live in Salt Lake City, this also occurred on the rental car lot with regular frequency.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

nothing out of the ordinary.  It was a little warmer on Monday, maybe low 80s, but the garage is always around 65 degrees this time of year.  this happened while in the garage.

no, haven't driven it since Sunday afternoon, 10/4/20.  been sitting in a garage at 65 degrees all week, day & night.  have not used remote start since last winter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this weekend I was driving and on rural paved road and boom, the same thing happened to me but it was the left side window.  I was shocked as this is the first time that something like this happens to me. I backed out of the drive way and didn't notice anything.   We didn't meet any cars and not aware my window being hit.  I also have a foldable bed liner and can't see ever having hit the window accidently. 

The only thing I did that may or may not have anything to do with the failure is that I let the truck warm up  twice (remote start) before actually taking off with it.

Hope these are isolated cases.

Pierre 

Edited by pcontant

I don't have a model number but my glass is the rear slider with defrost.  I kept the sticker on the glass and will check tonight to see if there is any model/build information on it.  BTW I never noticed any window leak as what I've read on this forum or had any repairs done to the window.

Thanks

Pierre

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE November 25 well GM backed out of coverying this on warranty.  To add to the fustration, the rear frame is cracked.  This seams to be another problem and related to the water penetration.  So the frame cracks, my window breaks but it's not a warranty issue. 

I'm not an engineer but if water enters the craked frame (as it did, and it freezes like it did, why can't these forces shatter the glass?  Grrrrrr.....  

That is very disappointing to hear, I struggle with understanding how they justified that call! 

The leaking window issue is probably closely related to this issue.  I love my new Trail Boss but have to admit this issue has me concerned and doubting my Chevrolet move! 

Good luck w/replacing and fact is that you will probably be better off with a glass company doing the job!

Thanks.  Yes did some searches but haven't found a thing.  For now I'm getting the back window replaced with a plain Jane window at my cost because I can't go any longer with a leaking window and taped section.

Pierre