I got a 2020 Silverado 1500 back in December and I have about 16000 miles on it now.  I gave it a bath the other day and noticed a crap ton of rock chips in front of the rear tires, right where it flares out behind the rear doors.  My pickup is black and fairly noticable and I was wondering if anyone has a remedy to protect that spot.

Find a local place that does aftermarket paint protection film installs.

A company called Xpel sells a product for this as do others, they sell pre-made kits for vehicles but they are pretty expensive.

Having a place just to small sections will cost you less.

Edited by CamGTP

no real remedy except protective film but that is expensive i also have a month old new black truck and i am not happy with the paint i have chips in mine already the paint chips way to easily i have one in front fender and one in front passenger door and back passenger door that look like crap on black they really show up bad because the primer is white i tried to touch up and buff by hand with micro fiber towel and burned through the paint the paint turned a brown color getting door repainted paint is to thin then i got another in back door tried doctor color chip repair it works ok but you can still see chip may get that door repainted also it is a shame for the money we pay for these trucks that the paint is so shitty

Just a tip for touching up stone chips i saw from a YouTube video. Needle and syringe does wonders for precisely touching up stone chips. Much easier than trying to brush it on. You can pretty much just get the paint in the chip area and not the surrounding area and it lays in real nice.

• Like 1

If someone finds a film that works please post here. The 2 places I checked locally won't do it because the film won't mold correctly with the rough                      " protectant "  in front of the rear wheel and leave noticeable bubbles in the film.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2020 SLT in the Dark Blue and the paint sucks, picks ups chips and scratches if you look at it wrong. I can say I am glad I made them add the protection package to my contract for free, which they are already regretting I am sure since they had had to repair several chips and scratches. The plastic films are nice when they work but you need to be careful it doesn't void your warranty if you have the protection package. My dealership will give you touchup paint that match a better than the stuff I have tried from autoparts stores. The Needle trick works like a charm. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the replies.  Im gonna save up for the black Luverne side step running boards, and replace the factory mud flaps with weather tech's, the factory ones curve in at the bottom but the weather tech flaps stay square.  I have a friend who works at a body shop who will repair the chips, once I get the stuff in, and hopefully the problem fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 11:20 AM, Terry104 said:

I have a 2020 SLT in the Dark Blue and the paint sucks, picks ups chips and scratches if you look at it wrong. I can say I am glad I made them add the protection package to my contract for free, which they are already regretting I am sure since they had had to repair several chips and scratches. The plastic films are nice when they work but you need to be careful it doesn't void your warranty if you have the protection package. My dealership will give you touchup paint that match a better than the stuff I have tried from autoparts stores. The Needle trick works like a charm. 

how can this void your warranty? I see that often on here, is GM trying not to cover things that have nothing to do with this? or are you just saying for the paint you covered?

Sorry for the confusion, the way I read the appearance guard contract pretty much anything you add to the paint can void the appearance warranty. They want you to use the products they give you and to wax/seal the truck at least twice a year, which I normally do anyway. I dislike the car wash and interior protector they give you so I use my normal Chemical Guys. Shhhh don't tell them lol. 

24 minutes ago, Terry104 said:

Sorry for the confusion, the way I read the appearance guard contract pretty much anything you add to the paint can void the appearance warranty. They want you to use the products they give you and to wax/seal the truck at least twice a year, which I normally do anyway. I dislike the car wash and interior protector they give you so I use my normal Chemical Guys. Shhhh don't tell them lol. 

Thanks for clarity - I would argue that outside of where you installed the guard would still be the warrantors responsibility, they might try to bully you a bit, but stand your ground....I believe it would be pretty hard for them to show they are not liable where you have not added any aftermarket...