19-20 1500 5.3-6.2 Tuning

6 hours ago, Transient said:

No supercharged truck coming from GM.  I'll Venmo you $5 if I'm wrong.  We'll find out next week on the 9th.

I don’t do Venmo!  Just cold hard cash. Lol. It’s all good. Keep it. I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t offer it when that’s what the people want. Ram has one, Ford has a few variants out there (Shelby and Roush). Along with a Raptor R coming!! 
It’s a huge missed opportunity for GM to cash in because they have everything already in house and it wouldn’t cost them that much in the R&D department. 
I was really surprised Ram didn’t offer a street truck for 2022. Really thought they would since the past 3 years they have been offering different models to their lineup. 

2 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

I don’t do Venmo!  Just cold hard cash. Lol. It’s all good. Keep it. I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t offer it when that’s what the people want. Ram has one, Ford has a few variants out there (Shelby and Roush). Along with a Raptor R coming!! 
It’s a huge missed opportunity for GM to cash in because they have everything already in house and it wouldn’t cost them that much in the R&D department. 
I was really surprised Ram didn’t offer a street truck for 2022. Really thought they would since the past 3 years they have been offering different models to their lineup. 

The decision makers at GM have had me scratching my head for many years.  The have Pontiac minivans and SUVs when they were always a performance car division.  I thought they hit a solid in 2009 when they had the Solstice, but then they discontinued the brand.  I really wanted a hard top turbo version of that car.  They made a competitor to the Charger on the forum of the SS, but limited its production annually, and to a few select years.  That would've helped keep the Camaro strong.  Trail Boss as a trim instead of a package, and no works phone charger, memory seats, and factory navigation as an option in fully loaded models.  There's more.  Lots more we could point to, but it's no better than beating a dead horse. 

If GM offered a base V-8 non Frankenstein Camaro I’d buy one. Iv owned many performance GMs. I was tickled with my last new factory performance GM a trailblazer ss. My last Camaro Z-28 in 1994 got 24 MPGs on the highway. My 94 impala ss got 23. My wife’s Genesis gets 27 mpg and performs as well as those did. No cylinder deactivation no 10 speed transmission. The engineers at GM must be smoking pot all day. Not impressed.

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

If GM offered a base V-8 non Frankenstein Camaro I’d buy one. Iv owned many performance GMs. I was tickled with my last new factory performance GM a trailblazer ss. My last Camaro Z-28 in 1994 got 24 MPGs on the highway. My 94 impala ss got 23. My wife’s Genesis gets 27 mpg and performs as well as those did. No cylinder deactivation no 10 speed transmission. The engineers at GM must be smoking pot all day. Not impressed.

The teenagers from the 60s are now of enough to be in positions of running large corporations.  Pot may not be the only substance they're hooked on. 

• Like 1

From what  I can tell the Corvette and such are getting tuned at a lower cost but the truck line still is a major pain.  Is this correct?

Not sure what is up with GM and their marketing department.  Case in point, my 2014 Chevy Cruze diesel.  I get all kinds of looks when I fill up at the diesel pump and questions in general when I park.  "I didn't know Chevy made a Cruze diesel". 

Well GM, if you would have marketed it and let the public know about this little amazing car then more would have purchased it.  But I'm sure there are reasons the bean counters came up with as to why they never did.  I can't believe the Sonic is still available.

My wife and daughter went to Florida for a wedding.  I topped the tank for them and they made it all the way down to just past Cape Canaveral before they filled up.  They sent me the gallons and miles and it worked out to 49.5 mpg.  Love this little thing.  I've gotten 800 miles to a tank at one point.  That is a long time in the saddle and my eyeballs were floating.  lol  I just did a timing belt change.  Message came on at 100k it needed replaced.  I was worried about it but now that I have done it. Piece of cake next time around.  Saved myself $800 the dealer wanted to change it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

They offer the LT1 package on the camaro. Stripped down entry version of the SS. 

2 hours ago, Transient said:

The decision makers at GM have had me scratching my head for many years.  The have Pontiac minivans and SUVs when they were always a performance car division.  I thought they hit a solid in 2009 when they had the Solstice, but then they discontinued the brand.  I really wanted a hard top turbo version of that car.  They made a competitor to the Charger on the forum of the SS, but limited its production annually, and to a few select years.  That would've helped keep the Camaro strong.  Trail Boss as a trim instead of a package, and no works phone charger, memory seats, and factory navigation as an option in fully loaded models.  There's more.  Lots more we could point to, but it's no better than beating a dead horse. 

I agree. GM had nice performance cars in late 2000s. People bashed the trailblazer and impala SS vehicles.  But I liked both. Buddy has an 06 Impala SS and it’s still running strong with 150k on it. My Trailblazer is still running. Saw it month ago and it had 96k miles on it 7 years ago. 
The SS sedan was a great sedan but it should have been named “Caprice”   I think it would have caught more attention than just “SS”. 
GM has a great opportunity to really make a splash for about 5 years with supercharged trucks and SUVs and before EV takes over. 

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

They offer the LT1 package on the camaro. Stripped down entry version of the SS. 

I guess you missed the part about the Frankenstein engine. They make the engine more complex and expensive for 1 or two MPGs. I tested the one in my truck with a tuner. At 72 mph no change in MPGs on or off. The cylinder deactivation that is. Like I said my last Camaro, 5.7 4 speed auto with a performance gear got 24 MPGs at 72 mph.  I find a clean old one like my Avalanche I’ll buy it. Hell even an old mustang. The new stuff from GM. I can afford it, don’t want it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

I agree. GM had nice performance cars in late 2000s. People bashed the trailblazer and impala SS vehicles.  But I liked both. Buddy has an 06 Impala SS and it’s still running strong with 150k on it. My Trailblazer is still running. Saw it month ago and it had 96k miles on it 7 years ago. 
The SS sedan was a great sedan but it should have been named “Caprice”   I think it would have caught more attention than just “SS”. 
GM has a great opportunity to really make a splash for about 5 years with supercharged trucks and SUVs and before EV takes over. 

I came close. It looked like an expensive Malibu. Not unique enough for the money. First specialty GM I passed on. My wife just got her Genesis. That’s a special car, she still has it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I guess you missed the part about the Frankenstein engine. They make the engine more complex and expensive for 1 or two MPGs. I tested the one in my truck with a tuner. At 72 mph no change in MPGs on or off. The cylinder deactivation that is. Like I said my last Camaro, 5.7 4 speed auto with a performance gear got 24 MPGs at 72 mph.  I find a clean old one like my Avalanche I’ll buy it. Hell even an old mustang. The new stuff from GM. I can afford it, don’t want it.

I hear ya on the AFM crap, but I get awesome fuel mileage in my ‘17 Camaro SS on the hwy with or without AM on (I have a Range AFM disabler).  I got 28-29mpg on my one long trip from Houston to NE Arkansas!  Lifetime average is 20mpg, and there is much more “fun” driving than trips on the odometer!  

It has a GMPP CAI and ported throttle body & intake manifold, and I swapped out the OEM wheels and run flats with forged wheels and slightly wider Michelin PS3’s.  It is a blast to drive - too much power and handles awesome!  I’m probably gonna do a few more mods (E85, tune ECM and PCM, etc.) soon - not sure why cause its already too dang fast.

Edited by RCF71
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Gotcha, Yes, the AFM/DFM garbage I agree with you about. I thought you were talking more about the looks of the camaro. I love the looks of it, but the LT1 offers a more subtle approach, unlike the more aggressive look of the SS model. I do believe you can turn off the AFM/DFM on the newer camaros??  Correct? 

Anyways, yes, an older LS camaro is the way to go, especially if you find a stick, but now you can ditch the 4 speed for a 6 speed. Would be interesting to see someone swap one out for the new 10 speed if possible

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

BTW...my favorite car of all time is the 2002 Trans AM WS6.  20 years later and that car still looks sleek, aggressive, sexy, and luxury all wrapped into one! Just my opinion though  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RCF71 said:

I hear ya on the AFM crap, but I get awesome fuel mileage in my ‘17 Camaro SS on the hwy with or without AM on (I have a Range AFM disabler).  I got 28-29mpg on my one long trip from Houston to NE Arkansas!  Lifetime average is 20mpg, and there is much more “fun” driving than trips on the odometer!  

It has a GMPP CAI and ported throttle body & intake manifold, and I swapped out the OEM wheels and run flats with forged wheels and slightly wider Michelin PS3’s.  It is a blast to drive - too much power and handles awesome!  I’m probably gonna do a few more mods (E85, tune ECM and PCM, etc.) soon - not sure why cause its already too dang fast.

I’m really glad you enjoy your Camaro. My wife put 60K miles on our 94. It was my son’s first car he put about 60K on it. Then it was my toy. I beat the hell out of it. I only got about 4 MPGs less than a new one gets without all the cylinder deactivation junk. And I used Amsoil extended oil with about 5 oil changes total. Try that with a new one. I sold it with about 130K miles on it after 7 years.

2 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

BTW...my favorite car of all time is the 2002 Trans AM WS6.  20 years later and that car still looks sleek, aggressive, sexy, and luxury all wrapped into one! Just my opinion though  

I use to get a hard on for that car when I was younger.  Now that I'm a little older I like the 2003 Camaro SS more.  Same car.  Just different look. 

Anybody hear the 2023 Camaro is getting the Blackwing?  I read an article last night that speculated such.