Food & Drink

Grumpy Bear

"One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer"

Taste is a matter of....well....taste. Each is specific to the holder I'd guess. Except when it comes to drink and then? Seems we should defer to a standard set by? :dunno: Yea, I don't know either. But that belief is what gets a person to open their wallet and chuck down some serious coin for something a opossum would spit out. Okay maybe not that opossum but the one over there kissing that skunk.  

Ever experience that, "it taste like cardboard' sensation when you have a cold? EVERYONE does; because smell is a big part of taste. Alcohol in high concentration within a few minutes dulls you sense of smell. It also numbs the taste buds. Low levels enhance smell according to:  https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25935-alcohol-improves-your-sense-of-smell-in-moderation/

All I know is after a few you could put ditch water in the glass unnoticed by most. That's not science speaking that's experience. 

To me a proof too high it's like eating a tube of Orajel then proclaiming the difference in taste of varied jellybeans. I know that different people drink for different reasons and for most taste is the LAST reason on that list. For me, it's the first. Not always the case as a younger version of me. 

Most of the finish comes from the cask for allot of spirits. Wine, Brandy, Rum, whisky, gin and Tequila all undergo barrel-finishing to set them apart from each other. Yes, yes the fermentation origin sets the table but the barrel adds the candlelight and music. Sadly for distillers this takes TIME in addition to barrel finish and/or choice. Time really is money in this business. Or should be....

Most anyone can tell the difference between Bourdon and Gin. Almost no one can tell the difference between 51% corn in the mash bill and 55%. Here's a quick and dirty: 

https://www.eater.com/2019/9/13/20863778/whats-the-difference-whiskey-scotch-bourbon-rye

So three parts. Fermentation origin, process and finish. The first two are often defined or well sorted but the finishing is the real difference between brand A and B or different bottlings of the same brand. None of this has a thing to do with STRENGTH. 

I'm spending to much time getting to the point. 

You can't rush the finish and that takes time. If you are spending $50 a fifth for a 2 year old spirit..... :idiot:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, txab said:

I'm on the see food diet. Nuff said.   :crackup:

As for vegetables and cooking. If you like Asparagus, sautee it on the stove top using olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning. Pretty hard to mess that up. Put it on the grill too. Just have to pay more attention. Brush it with olive oil. Again I use lemon pepper seasoning

I use microwave for baked potatoes. Also for cabbage. It's a great way to cook it. Halve or quarter it. I only cook 1/2 at a time because it's plenty or me/us

Micro a cabbage? That's new....to me. Detail please

Wife loves grilled or roasted Asparagus. I like it crisp steamed. 

I usually cook 1/4 of a cabbage at a time for me. You can cook the whole thing at once if you wish.

After quartering it, you can finish washing it. Put in a microwaveable glass bowl with cover. Season with your favorite seasoning. You can slather a little butter on it. For years my mom kept bacon grease in fridge and put a little on the cabbage for added flavor. I've used a strip of bacon, if I have it. I also put a little water in the dish, again steaming effect

Cabbage cooking on the stove was always a turn off to me due to the odor. In the micro, you hardly notice it.

I don't remember the amount of cook time. Probably start with 3-4 minutes and check tenderness. EDIT: Might be more like 5-6 minutes. Been a while since I last cooked it

Baked spuds I cook about 8 minutes for full size russet. I've switched to using red potatoes. Smaller and better taste. I think. Plus don't need a whole one anyway. 2 avg size red potatoes go for 6-7 minutes.  I've been putting them in a glass dish with cover and a little water in the bowl so as to steam the potato too. Just use a fork to check the spuds for tenderness. Don't overcook. One side can get pretty hard if overcooked. I usually flip them over 1/2 way through.

Also micro ears of corn too. Covered glass dish with a little water. 2 ears might go 6 or 7 minutes.

All times will need to be checked and or adjusted

Edited by txab
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, txab said:

I usually cook 1/4 of a cabbage at a time for me. You can cook the whole thing at once if you wish.

After quartering it, you can finish washing it. Put in a microwaveable glass bowl with cover. Season with your favorite seasoning. You can slather a little butter on it. For years my mom kept bacon grease in fridge and put a little on the cabbage for added flavor. I've used a strip of bacon, if I have it. I also put a little water in the dish, again steaming effect

Cabbage cooking on the stove was always a turn off to me due to the odor. In the micro, you hardly notice it.

I don't remember the amount of cook time. Probably start with 3-4 minutes and check tenderness. EDIT: Might be more like 5-6 minutes. Been a while since I last cooked it

Baked spuds I cook about 8 minutes for full size russet. I've switched to using red potatoes. Smaller and better taste. I think. Plus don't need a whole one anyway. 2 avg size red potatoes go for 6-7 minutes.  I've been putting them in a glass dish with cover and a little water in the bowl so as to steam the potato too. Just use a fork to check the spuds for tenderness. Don't overcook. One side can get pretty hard if overcooked. I usually flip them over 1/2 way through.

Also micro ears of corn too. Covered glass dish with a little water. 2 ears might go 6 or 7 minutes.

I can't find the drooling emoji!!!!!

:drool::drool:

EDIT by txab: ^^^Fixed it for ya.  :crackup:

Edited by txab
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spinach Quiche

I heard once upon a a time that real men don't eat quiche. After a bit of a laugh an onlooker said, "Real men can even spell it". 

This is one of those hidden gems we found at Reams Meat Market. These places sell more than meat. Something they make there fresh every day and kiddo's the crust was like grandmothers. Yea. Supper flakey and light because? REAL LARD. Prep time zero cook time about 1/2 hour. 

At a small store in a different town we found a Rosemary Lemon bread that was the perfect match to the quiche. It was what's for dinner this evening. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

On our last Costco shop we bought a box of their four frozen plain(cheese & tomato) pizza's.  It is nice to have a meal with no/little preparation on occasion.    Last night was such a night and it was a quick and cheap way to take care of supper.  Years ago we'd buy these and use them like you'd use a rock when making stone soup.  Now with ten minutes in a preheated oven, supper is ready with almost no clean up.  The best part is the guilt will drive us to make an extra special supper tonight!

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:40 PM, txab said:

I don't like the cabbage cooked in stove either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, diyer2 said:

I won't eat cabbage! If I was starving to death, maybe.

I like it raw. Eat it like an apple sometimes. I love coleslaw as a side for cold sandwiches or at dish to pass at picnics. Cold fried chicken and slaw! Sauerkraut on a Rueben. Sauerkraut with pork and apples. Kraut and dogs on a bun. Corned beef and cabbage with taters and carrots. Sauerbraten and red cabbage & dumplings or Roast Duck and red cabbage & Spaetzle!! 

You don't like any of these things?  C'mon man :P

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Thanks 1

Chicken Noodle Soup

IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.2902edde265455b9fc3ea309eb43685b.JPG

I am not a fan of canned soups. Chemical soup and done on the cheap. I save that canned stuff for the sick bed when my taste is shot anyway and I just need the broth and salt. This is actually more of a stew consistency than soup. I didn't get this off line. This isn't my mother or grams recipe. This was an intuitive cook I just nailed first batch and am writing it down before I forget it. Steal it. Publish it. Make money on it. But enjoy it first. 

As with anything simple. FRESH high quality ingredients will make or break this dish. My only cheat was the stock. Look for one with the least crap in it. 

2 Quarts Chicken Stock

1 lb. Skinless, boneless chicken breast

12 ounce double yoke wide Amish egg noodles

125 grams celery sliced 1/4"

125 grams Carrot sliced 1/4" and halved

125 grams Sweet Onion

2 Tablespoons Virgin Olive Oil. 

1 Teaspoon of salt (to start)

1 Teaspoon coarse fresh cracked black Pepper

2 Bay leaves

Rosemary FRESH finely chopped. 

Poach Chicken for 30 minutes and rest for 10. Cube into 1/2" cubes. 

Sautee carrots, celery and onion with a bit of salt in the olive oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent. 

Add 2 quarts of Chicken stock and bring to a low boil adding salt, pepper and bay leaves. 

Add full bag of Noodles and bring back to a low boil uncovered. This part takes about 10 to 12 minutes. 

With about 5 minutes remaining on the noodles add chicken and stir well. Should still be hot and have little impact on boil. 

Pull from heat and add Rosemary to taste. A little is allot so use less and add. 

Remove Bay leaves. 

Serve with fresh dense artisan bread and salted butter. 

This a a dish best first shot as the noodles tend to cook with each reheat. I under poached the chicken by 10 minutes and it finishes during the last of the cook and rest. All in all 40 minute poach just like the earlier recipe. The veggies should be to tooth still. 

It's still great reheated next day or two but that noodle thing..... They will absorb more liquid which may require addition of more stock. Veggie or Chicken as you please. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Thanks 1

SICILIAN ORANGETTES

image.jpeg.048c52728213009d2e59fce85e23aa19.jpeg

Sparkle Fox in Oregon Illinois makes these sweet treats which pair well with the evening Bourbon or a morning Espresso .

Chocolate covered candied orange rind.

I got lazy and snagged this photo off the Internet so I will attach the link for the recipe: 

http://www.veryeatalian.com/sicilian-orangettes/

The Search for the Perfect Omelette

I read on a Google feed somebody bashing the use of dairy in an omelette. Says if you have technique you don't need it. Of course they did not share that technique. Hum... No idea where this stuff comes from but my guess is the comment was centered around texture and the use of milk/cream or some combination of those two. I'd have a hard time understanding he meant to also exclude butter. French cooks would string him up. I made one this morning that came out very well and after eating it thought....I should have taken a photo. Okay, no issue I'll just swipe one from Google. Yea, about that.....nothing I found looked like what I made. 

There may be fifty ways to leave a lover but there are thousands of ways to make an omelette. Just the photos alone were an education. 

I never see preparing a dish the destination. It's just part of the journey. As good as a thing may turn out to be, the very next one can be better and I'm just getting started in the search for the perfect omelette. 

I think this is going to be about finding ingredients. Phenomenal ingredients! And yes, fretting out technique. 

The most basic omelette is just 2 eggs, water, salt and pepper. How much variation could there be? 

https://delishably.com/dairy/Everything-you-Ever-Wanted-to-Know-About-Chicken-Eggs

https://www.preparedfoods.com/articles/112210-creating-egg-white-foams

Well if eggs are the center piece they better be right. 

What I'm looking for is a fresh egg from a younger chicken that is free range. If you read the links the second one speaks to how air is entrained (fluffy) and the what and why of all that. You've seen these differences but perhaps did not know their significance. 

Ever fry and egg and notice the ratio of light albumen to heavy? Watery white to firm? More firm and less watery equals fluffier results. Young chickens have higher solids content as do fresher eggs. Suitable eggs will sink and lay on their side in a bowl of water. Room temp is better than refrigerated. Most of the taste comes from the chickens diet. Some people like grain feed Yellow and some like free range Orange yokes. I prefer the latter. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pheasant Appetizers

This one isn't mine. Neighbors, father and son, hunt, fish, trap, forage like it was 1820 plus garden like pro's. They salt, smoke, can, pickle, dry, jerk and freeze. Good guys to know. Anyway I'm changing oil in Dizzy and the boy comes over with a plate full of grilled pheasant bites. They had a good hunt in the Dakota's year last and thawed a few for the days feast. 

Bite sized individual pheasant breast skewed and wrapped in jalapeno, Vidalia onion and hickory-mesquite  smoked thick bacon. No salt. No spices. Charcoal grilled. Not a Kabob but one bite per skewer. 

Dove, Quail or Chukar are great substitutes. 

• Like 2